Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bosch GTS 635-216 Table saw

• 11-06-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I have a few projects coming up that I'd need a decent table saw to achieve.
    (Wardrobes, utility room cabinets etc etc)
    It'll all be built with either MDF or birch ply. I've spotted this one for an okay price 329 euros but I cant find any reviews of it.

I know how to address certain issues if they arise (Bad fence/mitre gauge) but I'm wondering if anyone has used one. I dont have a workshop space so I'll be setting it up in the attic room to complete the jobs but once they are done I'll probably have to sell it.

I know people will say buy a second hand Dewalt but to be honest I cant find any in that pricerange and any other saws in that range are either out of stock everywhere or dont seem to very good quality.
    So has anyone ever used one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

That seems like a very good price for the Bosch saw; I don't have that one, I do have the DeWalt 745 but it cost me twice that at the time. I can't be certain from the photos but the Dewalt does appear to have a better fence adjustment- micro adjustment is possible with a small handwheel and the fence can be locked rigidly when set.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,185 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If the material is well supported all round then I think it will work fine.
    I would worry about feeding in 2.4 long panels for full height doors if not fully supported

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would sooner spend the money on a track saw, which would be much better for cutting down sheets than a small table saw, and then a cheap €100 table saw for all those jobs that are easier with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Track saw is your answer far safer and handier cutting down 8x4 panels in a straight line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Thanks folks,
    I have a tracksaw already so the table saw would be for cutting doen the lenghts further for things like the doors, cabintes for washing machine, tumble dryer etc.

It seems like a good saw for the money but as i said i cant find any reviews of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Even for cabinets I’d use a tracksaw over a small table saw like that. Max width is 635 (that’s what the name means, 635 wide, 216 blade)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Even for cabinets I’d use a tracksaw over a small table saw like that. Max width is 635 (that’s what the name means, 635 wide, 216 blade)

Yep figured the max cut capacity already. Itll be fine for base cabinets.
    Track saw i find annoying setting up for repeated cuts. Like i said i have one and use it regularly but for this ill be needing a table saw no question. Ive done a lot of this type of work before so i know how I like to work.
    I just cant find reviews of this particular saw but I've used bosch before so i guess I'll plump for it based on their rep alone

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Have you considered an MFT?

Lumen wrote: »

I dont think I'd have the space for it and as I'd be looking to sell it on once im done I reckon it'll be easier to shift a table saw.
    Once these projects are done ill be renovating the attic room where this will be set up (unfortunately)

Pulled the trigger on it there.
    I'll let you know how I find it.
    Link for anyone interested

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07R3X3MQM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Just set up a mailbox.de account and you can get it forwarded onto you.

• Advertisement

Please do let us know how you get on with it, seems a great price. I know track saws are a better for ripping down sheet goods (I still use a circular saw with straight edge guide and saw horses for long rips) but a small table saw like this is invaluable in my opinion and you'll be glad you have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Love my table saw. But for doors nope.

It's great for drawer fronts , small repeatable pieces or skinny long lengths.

Doors no. Track saw for that.

And never sell tools unless you really really need the money booo selling tools :)

listermint wrote: »

And never sell tools unless you really really need the money booo selling tools :)

100% on that, EXCEPT selling tools is allowed if you want to replace them with other tools!

100% on that, EXCEPT selling tools is allowed if you want to replace them with other tools!

Fair point.

Better! Tools :)

listermint wrote: »
    Love my table saw. But for doors nope.

It's great for drawer fronts , small repeatable pieces or skinny long lengths.

Doors no. Track saw for that.

hahaha I honestly dont have any space. I dont have a shed or garden. Imagine it kinda like an apt but its a house :)

I'm not sure why your against the table saw for doors, but I guess we just work differently. I don't plan on making full length wardrobe doors so perhaps that's where the confusion is.

seannash wrote: »
    hahaha I honestly dont have any space. I dont have a shed or garden. Imagine it kinda like an apt but its a house :)

I'm not sure why your against the table saw for doors, but I guess we just work differently. I don't plan on making full length wardrobe doors so perhaps that's where the confusion is.

Too unwieldy for the table saw you got. I have DeWalt one similar scale.

Far more control and accuracy with a track saw. Which I also have.

Pulled the trigger on it there.
    I'll let you know how I find it.
    Link for anyone interested

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07R3X3MQM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Just set up a mailbox.de account and you can get it forwarded onto you.

Let us know what the fence is like.
    Been lusting after a table saw for a while but all the budget brands have crap fences.

Let us know what the fence is like.
    Been lusting after a table saw for a while but all the budget brands have crap fences.

I've seen some people say its not 100% but there is a fix for it which involves buying a small 3d printed piece on ebay to lock it in better. So if its causing issues ill be ordering that (its only a fiver)
    Im surprised theres not much info on it out there

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Seems it is a german european version of a bosch saw and never meant to be released on the market in uk/ire in any quantities.

Have been on the lookout for a decent mid range table saw. The one that would be top of the list for me at the moment would be the evo rage 5s at just over 300.

Good german review out there that is independent and it performs well. Stand with wheels. Good fence. Good rip capacity and sliding carraige

How much would mailbox.de be looking to forward 22kg table saw. I would imagine the would charge volume based weight depending on box size

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Will there be an issue with plug too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Apart from price what makes the Bosch better than the Dewalt?

Looking up the DeWalt looks like there is a new model and pricing is all over the place. I've the old DeWalt 745 (I think) paid something like €400 for it and it seems fine. Plenty of minor niggles but once you get over them and make some work arounds its a good solid accurate machine.

stuchyg wrote: »
    Will there be an issue with plug too

Nothing an adaptor wont fix. Its the same voltage so its just the pin configuration

jodaw wrote: »
    Seems it is a german european version of a bosch saw and never meant to be released on the market in uk/ire in any quantities.

Have been on the lookout for a decent mid range table saw. The one that would be top of the list for me at the moment would be the evo rage 5s at just over 300.

Good german review out there that is independent and it performs well. Stand with wheels. Good fence. Good rip capacity and sliding carraige

How much would mailbox.de be looking to forward 22kg table saw. I would imagine the would charge volume based weight depending on box size

I was looking at rhe rage 5 but anywhere that had them in stock was costing 400+ euros.
    Its a little bit big for me but it does seem like a pretty decent machine

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

It's just Bosch reacting to the lift in the budget DIY market; readily available in the UK, e.g. from Axminster: https://www.axminstertools.com/bosch-gts-635-216-216mm-table-saw-106633
    Lumen wrote: »
    I dont think I'd have the space for it and as I'd be looking to sell it on once im done I reckon it'll be easier to shift a table saw.
    Once these projects are done ill be renovating the attic room where this will be set up (unfortunately)

Nothing stopping you from having the best of both worlds seannash - make a home made MFT bench for repeatable tracksaw cuts; e.g. https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2019/7/1/making-a-new-top-for-my-workbench

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Excellent article on that MFT table. Really good read.

The bosch saw looks to have some good reviews on axminster.

Where do a table saw win versus MFT and track saw? Would you recommended any of the budget track saws?
    Evolution tracks themselves seem to get some good reviews

Excellent article on that MFT table. Really good read.

The bosch saw looks to have some good reviews on axminster.

Where do a table saw win versus MFT and track saw? Would you recommended any of the budget track saws?
    Evolution tracks themselves seem to get some good reviews
    I have a Titan tracksaw and I cant fault it. I did get an evolution rail for it as the supplied one with the Titan wasn't long enough.

Nothing stopping you from having the best of both worlds seannash - make a home made MFT bench for repeatable tracksaw cuts; e.g. https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2019/7/1/making-a-new-top-for-my-workbench

I'd rather make a run off table for the saw but its definitely a good idea.
    I think I could get the same results with a sled. Plus Id prefer to mitre on the table saw vs a tracksaw for anything my mitre saw cant do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MrTea247

Did you go with this saw in the end?

I’m about to make a purchase myself and would be interested to hear how you’ve got on? Seems like good value...

MrTea247 wrote: »
    Did you go with this saw in the end?

I’m about to make a purchase myself and would be interested to hear how you’ve got on? Seems like good value...

Would you believe I haven't taken it out of the box yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Would you believe I haven't taken it out of the box yet!

Just powered mine on for the first time today. I have it nearly a year

Advertisement