Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HBO temporarily pulls Gone with the Wind from streaming

Options
  • 10-06-2020 8:42am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭

In a statement, HBO Max said “Gone With the Wind” is a “product of its time and depicts some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that have, unfortunately, been commonplace in American society.” When the movie returns to the platform it will be “with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions, but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed. If we are to create a more just, equitable and inclusive future, we must first acknowledge and understand our history.”
    [...]
    On Monday, John Ridley, who won an Oscar for the adapted screenplay for the movie “12 Years a Slave,” a brutal look at slavery in the U.S., wrote an opinion piece in the Los Angeles Times calling for “Gone With the Wind” to be taken off HBO Max. “It is a film that glorifies the antebellum south. It is a film that, when it is not ignoring the horrors of slavery, pauses only to perpetuate some of the most painful stereotypes of people of color.” Mr. Ridley wrote. The film, he said, perpetuates “the racism that’s causing angry and grieving Americans to take to the streets.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hbo-max-pulls-gone-with-the-wind-11591754904

Thoughts?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

History is there to be recognised and learned from.

This "washing" of racism from our history is illogical and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The removal of one ancient movie will put everything right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

History is there to be recognised and learned from.

This "washing" of racism from our history is illogical and dangerous.

Read the whole article!

"When the movie returns to the platform it will be “with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions,

but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.

If we are to create a more just, equitable and inclusive future, we must first acknowledge and understand our history.”

Nothing is being removed. Something is being added.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Where do you draw the line with this kind of stuff ? This culture of wanting pull every film,song,book and TV show that any reference to racism is ridiculous

Read the whole article!

"When the movie returns to the platform it will be “with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions,

but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.

If we are to create a more just, equitable and inclusive future, we must first acknowledge and understand our history.”

Nothing is being removed. Something is being added.

Nothing being removed??

It literally says the movie is being removed from HBO. did you miss that part?

Yes it says it shall return with a disclaimer, but doesn't mention when.

• Advertisement

Practically every religious film portraying the life of Jesus will need to be pulled. Or have something added.

Not to mention every sacred heart picture in Irish homes being on dodgy ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

To Kill a Mocking Bird and Of Mice and Men are just two examples of literary masterpieces that have been removed from the curriculum and indeed banned in many US States. Absolutely deplorable and with no merit or value.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WengerOutIn

Gladiator has slaves. Spartacus needs to go. We need to remove anything built by the Romans and Greeks. There is a pretty big list that needs sorting before we can put this matter to rest. Also, I am sure that a lot of Muslim architecture pre 1850 should be investigated for the use of slavery too. All slaves matter.

joeguevara wrote: »
    To Kill a Mocking Bird and Of Mice and Men are just two examples of literary masterpieces that have been removed from the curriculum and indeed banned in many US States. Absolutely deplorable and with no merit or value.

Why was TKAMB book removed? Pulled from certain Southern states?

OMAM, I've not read, but seen the film years ago and likewise can't imagine why pulled.

It is completely illogical to remove works of art that shine a blazing spotlight on racism such as "to kill a mockingbird" in the argument that highlighting racism is somehow racist in itself.

It stinks of "history denying" to me, which is a very dangerous road to go down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Like one poster has already said, erasing the past won't fix the future.

It's a dangerous route that is being taken and leaves the way clear for others to do the same with other historical pieces in order to suit their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Gladiator has slaves. Spartacus needs to go. We need to remove anything built by the Romans and Greeks. There is a pretty big list that needs sorting before we can put this matter to rest. Also, I am sure that a lot of Muslim architecture pre 1850 should be investigated for the use of slavery too. All slaves matter.

The pyramids need tearing down also.

There’s gonna be loads of work going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Is Breakfast at Tiffany's going to be banned?

Father Ted?
    "I hear you're a racist now Father"

No one is watching Gone with the Wind and thinking ,"Jeez, I wanna be just like them".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered.
    And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RwandaRed

I read a tweet earlier from somebody prophesizing that it won't be long until the first library pulls Harry Potter books from their shelves.

Given the current mood, it's not as crazy as it might sound.

Only thing I would say, half of the UK didn't know who Edward Colston and Robert Milligan were until their statues were hauled down.

jprender wrote: »
    The pyramids need tearing down also.

There’s gonna be loads of work going.

Ah jeepers, I forgot about them yoks. Need to round up the lads. At least the hanging gardens of Babylon are gone, so one less to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

This is the Khmer Rouge's Year Zero in action all over again.

I expect a lot of art will be repositioned in the current far-left swinging social narrative, hidden, or destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

and in 50 years will sadly be forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Surely Volkswagen has to go aswell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, while I think pulling the film temporarily is pretty silly and unnecessary, I find it hard to be irate or concerned about this when the film is still going to be available on this one streaming platform in its full, uncensored version in due course (and is still readily available in Ireland if you want to watch it). I have watched great films of historical importance as they always were, just occasionally with a clear note at the start explaining its context. I have zero issue with that. Pulling Gone With The Wind for a few days or weeks achieves nothing IMO, but I have no problem with a note added to the start or a ‘discussion’ bookending it.

TBH there are very few films that are actively suppressed for their questionable portrayal of race. Song of the South is the obvious one. I absolutely think that should be more readily available due its historical value, although equally can see why it’s not being ‘actively’ promoted by Disney. But I think it’s important for cinema history enthusiasts to be able to watch the film easily and in high quality. I mean, Birth of the Nation still (rightly) gets Blu-Ray releases even though it’s (rightly) seen as the most racist piece of work in the classic film canon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is it a bit cliched to want to watch it now?, I think I may have seen it as a kid

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    This is the Khmer Rouge's Year Zero in action all over again.

I expect a lot of art will be repositioned in the current far-left swinging social narrative, hidden, or destroyed.

Tell you what, if a capitalist corporation temporarily pulling a single movie sparks the deaths of 2 million people, I'll accept calling them part of the "far left". I'll owe you .. I dunno, a coca cola :)

C'mon. The current mood is weird, and complex and full of lockdown-fuelled craziness, but that's just ludicrous hyperbole; and if anything really disrespects the history of Cambodia that this western cultural spat comes anywhere close.

America hasn't come to terms with its racial past - that's the nub of the problem. Look at NI or South Africa: both had public, serious commissions to talk of, and parse their prejudiced past in a "safe space". Heck even Spain decided they'd just never speak of Franco again. America ... did nothing and just carried on; worse, just looked the other way to give the former slavers time and position to legalise their dominance by other means.

The reaction is weird and full of misdirected outrage, but it was always coming in America. The centre couldn't hold any longer while it just pretended Obama ended racism, or that any kind of national discourse had taken place. Think about it: go back 3, 4 generations and great-great grandparents of African Americans were slaves. That's surreal to contemplate and still very much fresh history for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

What about White Men Can't Jump... wheres the outrage?

Ninthlife wrote: »

I used to love that movie, but now I realise I am a racist nazi pig. White men can jump. I am sorry for believing al these years that white men cannot jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

pixelburp wrote: »
    Tell you what, if a capitalist corporation temporarily pulling a single movie sparks the deaths of 2 million people, I'll accept calling them part of the "far left". I'll owe you .. I dunno, a coca cola :)

C'mon. The current mood is weird, and complex and full of lockdown-fuelled craziness, but that's just ludicrous hyperbole; and if anything really disrespects the history of Cambodia that this western cultural spat comes anywhere close.

America hasn't come to terms with its racial past - that's the nub of the problem. Look at NI or South Africa: both had public, serious commissions to talk of, and parse their prejudiced past in a "safe space". Heck even Spain decided they'd just never speak of Franco again. America ... did nothing and just carried on; worse, just looked the other way to give the former slavers time and position to legalise their dominance by other means.

The reaction is weird and full of misdirected outrage, but it was always coming in America. The centre couldn't hold any longer while it just pretended Obama ended racism, or that any kind of national discourse had taken place. Think about it: go back 3, 4 generations and great-great grandparents of African Americans were slaves. That's surreal to contemplate and still very much fresh history for some.

Make it a Diet Coke. With ice and a straw.:)

These things have always played out on an incremental scale. I don't believe it's hyperbole to think they may play out that way again. Time will tell.

We'll see where we are with regard to historic films and TV series being pulled, edited, or censored in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

silverharp wrote: »
    is it a bit cliched to want to watch it now?, I think I may have seen it as a kid

Nope. It’s exactly why they’ve done it. Someone in marketing will get a fat bonus next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Make it a Diet Coke. With ice and a straw.:)

These things have always played out on an incremental scale. I don't believe it's hyperbole to think they may play out that way again. Time will tell.

We'll see where we are with regard to historic films and TV series being pulled, edited, or censored in a few months.

If we were seeing censorship on a state level then there would be grounds for concern. This isn't what is happening at all.

You can still buy your Gone with the Wind Blu Rays or Little Britain and Come Fly with Me DVDs if that's your preference...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

White Chicks and Coming to America should be banned also. Black actors "whiting" themselves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

White Chicks and Coming to America should be banned also. Black actors "whiting" themselves up.

Why, what else has been banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Ninthlife wrote: »

We can jump the social ladder.

Advertisement