Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 upgrading

Options
  • 04-06-2020 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

I found a nice deal for a limited edition white but its only the 4gb xbox 360 s
    Is there any way of upgrading the console for more memory ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Don't buy white. That model is BROKEN. It you leave it on for a couple of hours the processor will detach from the motherboard. It's bad lead-free soldering.

I had 2 white 'phat' Xbox 360 consoles die.

Get a slim xbone.
    Order from ebay the reset glitch chip.
    Flash it with the right software, soldert in in in 4 spots and you can throw out the slow DVD drive.
    Mine had an empty hard drive enclosure you plug in on the side. I opened that enclosure and added a standard laptop 2.5 inch hard drive (SSD will not make it faster, just use normal)
    I have an alternative dash and launch my games from *.iso files instead of trying to find DVDs and having to listen to the drive grinding them.

You can always launch into the original dash but there's rarely a reason to do it.

I think you can buy xbox 360 consoles off e-bay pre-modded so you don't need to learn soldering skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Don't buy white. That model is BROKEN. It you leave it on for a couple of hours the processor will detach from the motherboard. It's bad lead-free soldering.

I had 2 white 'phat' Xbox 360 consoles die.

Get a slim xbone.
    Order from ebay the reset glitch chip.
    Flash it with the right software, soldert in in in 4 spots and you can throw out the slow DVD drive.
    Mine had an empty hard drive enclosure you plug in on the side. I opened that enclosure and added a standard laptop 2.5 inch hard drive (SSD will not make it faster, just use normal)
    I have an alternative dash and launch my games from *.iso files instead of trying to find DVDs and having to listen to the drive grinding them.

You can always launch into the original dash but there's rarely a reason to do it.

I think you can buy xbox 360 consoles off e-bay pre-modded so you don't need to learn soldering skills.

I think the OP is referring to the limited edition 4gb slim model which is fine.
    You can buy a xbox 360 hard drive on ebay that will expand this.

The "phat" console is fine aslong as you pick up the jasper variant - but unless you are getting a deal I don't see why you would. Older models than that do have issues relating to poor cooling but it'll take more than a few hours for it to die. Think three years from new on average. Not so much an issue with the lead free solder as this is used in the new consoles which are very reliable but more an issue with inadequate cooling coupling with the less robust lead free solder. Even a reballed console with leaded solder is liable to fail unless the cooling issue is addressed.
    Even at this the processor never detatched from the motherboard - that would have made my side hussle of reballing these back in the day very easy indeed.

The reset glitch hack is a little more involved than just soldering four spots.
    Its been a while since I have done it but its five wires alone to attach the nand flasher to dump the nand in order to extract the CPU key and then create the custom nand image to be flashed back to the console. After that its an average of another six or seven wires of fairly delicate soldering for the actual glitch chip.
    Granted I don't think discussion of the uses of this past homebrew are encouraged.

I think the OP is referring to the limited edition 4gb slim model which is fine.
    You can buy a xbox 360 hard drive on ebay that will expand this.

The "phat" console is fine aslong as you pick up the jasper variant - but unless you are getting a deal I don't see why you would. Older models than that do have issues relating to poor cooling but it'll take more than a few hours for it to die. Think three years from new on average. Not so much an issue with the lead free solder as this is used in the new consoles which are very reliable but more an issue with inadequate cooling coupling with the less robust lead free solder. Even a reballed console with leaded solder is liable to fail unless the cooling issue is addressed.
    Even at this the processor never detatched from the motherboard - that would have made my side hussle of reballing these back in the day very easy indeed.

The reset glitch hack is a little more involved than just soldering four spots.
    Its been a while since I have done it but its five wires alone to attach the nand flasher to dump the nand in order to extract the CPU key and then create the custom nand image to be flashed back to the console. After that its an average of another six or seven wires of fairly delicate soldering for the actual glitch chip.
    Granted I don't think discussion of the uses of this past homebrew are encouraged.

Now that I think of it - yes it did involve soldering more than 4 wires, more like 12.
    I had 2 white xbox 360 consoles. On both the first thing I did in power settings is turned off the annoying power saving. So then the console would run maybe 4 days and get the Red Ring of Death.
    I think the white console used to also scratch discs if it was stood upright.

The only way to preserve the 360 and OG xbox and pretty much any console (including say the Dreamcast) is to hack it and load from *.iso files.

If you own already the physical games you probably don't want to wear out the media. The last thing I want is to kill the optical drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭STEE

Roughly how much would it cost for it to be upgraded ? Whats the max memory I can get it upgraded to ?

STEE wrote: »
    Roughly how much would it cost for it to be upgraded ? Whats the max memory I can get it upgraded to ?
    It's just a standard laptop harddrive
    https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-2-5-inch-laptop-5400rpm-MQ01ABD050/dp/B008RZLSWE/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=500gb+laptop+drive+xbox&qid=1591582819&sr=8-16

Technically yes its just a standard hard drive in a plastic case.
    But it wont work in a 360 without some work.

Either you have to flash the drive with a custom xbox 360 image the drive above will not work as it needs to be a very specific WD scorpio series or you mod the console which will allow the xbox to format the drive for you.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/320GB-HDD-Hard-Drive-Disk-Storage-for-Microsoft-Xbox-360-Internal-Slim-Console/171823077564?hash=item28017418bc:g:KPUAAOSwsLtVeaz4

OP this is the drive you need for the console

I don't remember how I set up my 360 hard drive but it was an off-the-shelf barracuda laptop drive off Amazon. You might need to pre-format it with some software.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭STEE

Can I just use an external hard drive ?

• Advertisement

STEE wrote: »
    Can I just use an external hard drive ?

Yes, you can and that's what I did for a while. However it's not recommended because of a bandwidth limitation. It makes everything slow and barely serviceable.

The USB ports on the xbox 360 are black (usb 2.0) which is the slower old standard - even on slims. If they would be blue (usb 3.0) then that would be more bearable.

The 360 has a native SATA connector the hard drive can plug into directly. It's very fast. It's what the black hard drive case connects to when you click it in.

If you already have a passport drive, you're better off opening it and taking out the hard drive.

Inside of an external hard drive is a standard laptop HDD, nothing magic.

Yes, you can and that's what I did for a while. However it's not recommended because of a bandwidth limitation. It makes everything slow and barely serviceable.

The USB ports on the xbox 360 are black (usb 2.0) which is the slower old standard - even on slims. If they would be blue (usb 3.0) then that would be more bearable.

The 360 has a native SATA connector the hard drive can plug into directly. It's very fast. It's what the black hard drive case connects to when you click it in.

If you already have a passport drive, you're better off opening it and taking out the hard drive.

A standard laptop drive will not work with a standard console - only on a modded one without actually flashing the laptop drive itself.

Bottom line for the OP is that you will either buy a specific xbox 360 drive as I have linked which has already been flashed with the correct image to or as you've said yourself just run an external drive.
    This will work fine - as the other poster above mentioned this is an older USB standard but its an xbox 360 and your not going to be doing anything thats going to get near stressing that bandwith.
    As such you won't notice any difference on day to day normal useage and I can say this from personal experience.

Advertisement