Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosepipe ban start 9 June

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Unreal to see all the water passing down the Corrib to the sea, could it not be stored in tanks like the fuel tanks in the docks, dont see why it's a Nationwide ban Dublin is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Unreal to see all the water passing down the Corrib to the sea, could it not be stored in tanks like the fuel tanks in the docks, dont see why it's a Nationwide ban Dublin is the worst.

Get a few buckets of river water to wash your car so.

Pkiernan wrote: »

Never mentioned washing my car just an observation of all the wasted water going into the sea.

Pkiernan wrote: »

It’s stupid, lough corrib is not going to run out of water ever and I can go into town and get my car washed but not do it at home.

We are flaking through about 200 litres every 10 mins for hours everyday powehosing cattle sheds also so I’m not too worried about the small bit of water I’ll use washing the car.

Meant to add Irish Water said we are using around 85 million litres of water a day how many millions a day pass through Galway and is totally wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It’s stupid, lough corrib is not going to run out of water ever and I can go into town and get my car washed but not do it at home.

We are flaking through about 200 litres every 10 mins for hours everyday powehosing cattle sheds also so I’m not too worried about the small bit of water I’ll use washing the car.

So you wont follow this rule but when someone gathers in eyre square to protest you want them arrested

So you wont follow this rule but when someone gathers in eyre square to protest you want them arrested

Yes, I have stated on a few occasions I have little heed in many rules but covid-19 is a different thing altogether, a life and death situation.

Just to add powerhosing on the farm is allowed as it’s commercial use, I’d only be breaking it if I washed the car with a hose or powerhouse and it certainly wouldn’t be the high power high flow rate one we use for heavy work as it would take the paint with it.

I’m also not even sure that the ban applies to group water schemes as we are not governed by irish water and pay water changes unlike those in cities who refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Yes, I have stated on a few occasions I have little heed in many rules but covid-19 is a different thing altogether, a life and death situation.

Just to add powerhosing on the farm is allowed as it’s commercial use, I’d only be breaking it if I washed the car with a hose or powerhouse and it certainly wouldn’t be the high power high flow rate one we use for heavy work as it would take the paint with it.

Unlike the provision of clean drinking water - one of life's true luxuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Never mentioned washing my car just an observation of all the wasted water going into the sea.
    Meant to add Irish Water said we are using around 85 million litres of water a day how many millions a day pass through Galway and is totally wasted.
    First of all you can't drink it.
    Second of all you can't collect it.
    River water is not "wasted" much like a mountain or a meadow not exploited is not "wasted".

#TreeHuggersAssemble

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There's a ridiculous amount of water wasted - something like 35% in leaks alone apparently - millions of gallons is pissed away every day in leaks all over antiquated pipework all over the country.

But we've also had an incredibly dry spell - 3 months now of negligible rainfall, so yes, some reservoirs are running dry - perhaps not in Galway, but again, like the lockdown, the powers that be have decided to apply the same rules to everyone across the country whether it makes sense or not.

The lefties kicked up stink about the water charges. But water is a resource, the same as electricity, gas, broadband is, so to expect to get it for free and to also have an uninterrupted perfectly maintained supply is somewhat contradictory. As it stands, John and Mary with their 4 kids in the paddling pool every day in the recent hot spell has been paying the same thing (nothing) as their neighbour Paddy, living on his own who only showers once a week. I'm no more a fan of water charges than anyone else is, but at least it might have helped identify heavy/excessive users and supplied funding to improve the infrastructure.

• Advertisement

No water= no washing of hands = covid 19 explosion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I left my hosepipe running in the lawn for nearly 7 hours last week. 7 full hours. By accident. I just forgot to turn it off. Survivor was on TG4.
    I hold myself in utter contempt ever since. I have a good mind to thrash myself with a branch of hawthorn.

I was watering the lettuce and spring onions I planted to survive the novel Coronavirus you see. I wont pay any Irish Water excess bill. I just fcuking wont. Superquango. It wouldn't make economic sense for me to pay it. You can buy lettuce fierce cheap in Aldi now. Not sure about scallions.

Having said all that, I only wash my car about twice a year. More if I have a few weddings maybe. Well I get someone else to wash it. 9 euro + 1 euro tip. I hate weddings.

Still my guitar gently weeps.

It's a hosepipe ban.
    You can still wash your car with a bucket if you want.

We all use water remarkably efficiently when we have to carry it all.

Your farm connection is presumably metered nox, and cleaning a shed is essential, having a lawn sprinkler isn't.

I asked my mother many years ago how my aunt's garden was so full of colours when everywhere else was wilting- it was because she left the hose running for days at a time.

pg633 wrote: »

Your farm connection is presumably metered nox, and cleaning a shed is essential, having a lawn sprinkler isn't.

All our usage is metered, think we have 3 different meters. One for the house and two for different parts of the farm. We pay water charges to our local group water scheme for both domestic and farm usage.

Yes the shed cleaning is essential but so is regularly car washing to maintain it and the water usage to wash a car is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tooshka

I logged into my metered account on Irish Water to check if our house was using more water during the pandemic, but the consumption level hasn't been updated since January. It would be good to be able to monitor our own use! Why isn't it updated??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,294 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

JoeA3 wrote: »
    There's a ridiculous amount of water wasted - something like 35% in leaks alone apparently - millions of gallons is pissed away every day in leaks all over antiquated pipework all over the country.

It's around 43% according this article: https://www.thejournal.ie/irelands-leaking-pipes-4847084-Oct2019/

Absolutely crazy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The OPW reduced the flow going down the river today to half a sluice gate on the weir. That is unprecedented in June, it normally only happens in some years after a dry summer. This is causing problems for migrating salmon and resident trout, eels and other animals, with reduced habitat, and if we get a hot spell will see critical temperatures and oxygen levels with less dilution of any pollution also. But sure, the Corrib will never ever run out of water... :rolleyes:

It's around 43% according this article: https://www.thejournal.ie/irelands-leaking-pipes-4847084-Oct2019/

Absolutely crazy

But wont most of this flow back into the system eventually?. The issue is only the cost of treating the water

Advertisement