Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Protest Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

As expected, Drew Brees releases his apology on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This issue has been around for years and despite Brees' PR stunts on race he made it clear yesterday that he hasn't been listening.

Sometimes when it is clear a friend isn't listening you have to tell them to shut up for their own good and do a better job of hearing the other side.

What Brees basically said yesterday was that his perception of disrespect to an inanimate object is more important than the lives of the majority of his team mates and their families.

I literally said that Brees might well have fallen short of listening/communicating.

The object obviously isn’t inanimate to him. It means a huge amount clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

As expected, Drew Brees releases his apology on Instagram.

1. He's only apologised because he's been called out so much over the past few hours.
    2. His teammates now know how he feels about the situation.
    3. The rest of the leagues defensive players are gonna love sacking him this year!

myate wrote: »
    1. He's only apologised because he's been called out so much over the past few hours.

Of course. At least he didn't used the "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Of course. At least he didn't used the "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" line though.

He got very very close at one point - 'I am sick about the way my comments were perceived', though afterwards he takes full responsibility

• Advertisement

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I literally said that Brees might well have fallen short of listening/communicating.

And yet your focus was people who disagreed with him.

If I ever fall so short on listening/communicating in front of the world then I hope I have a friend that will tell me to shut up.
    The object obviously isn’t inanimate to him.

Unless he thinks flags are living creatures then they are by definition inanimate.
    It means a huge amount clearly

If he feels the flag means more to him than the majority of his team mates and their families that is his choice, however he shouldn't at the same time do fake PR stunts pretending to support the cause that those men were protesting for.

myate wrote: »
    2. His teammates now know how he feels about the situation.
    3. The rest of the leagues defensive players are gonna love sacking him this year!

Some are already making that feeling known

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1268366527083970565?s=20

And yet your focus was people who disagreed with him.

If I ever fall so short on listening/communicating in front of the world then I hope I have a friend that will tell me to shut up.

Unless he thinks flags are living creatures then they are by definition inanimate.

If he feels the flag means more to him than the majority of his team mates and their families that is his choice, however he shouldn't at the same time do fake PR stunts pretending to support the cause that those men were protesting for.

Right this won’t be going anywhere quick. Not even sure that we are debating the same points. I’ll leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,186 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just when you think 2020 has peaked you have Bears fans criticising Brian Urlacher (for his Brees-like tone deaf opinions) and praising Aaron Rodgers.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Right this won’t be going anywhere quick. Not even sure that we are debating the same points. I’ll leave it there

If you were planning to continue to argue that for some people flags are not inanimate then we should definitely leave it there.

• Advertisement

If you were planning to continue to argue that for some people flags are not inanimate then we should definitely leave it there.

Yes that was exactly where I was going with it. Well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

a74a744fef9b3e83e674ae860ccf1039de-02-CPAC-Trump-Hugs-Flag.2x.rsquare.w1200.jpg

I'm embarrassed for the flag.

But really, what's more important? Making the right body language to a symbol or people's lives? Because if you think it's the piece of cloth, then what is represents is people getting killed.

But if course the language doesn't matter here. No players are disrespecting their country, but making gullible people think they are makes you look patriotic and gets votes.

Goodell accepts that the NFL got it wrong and should have listened to the players but fails to apologise to Kaepernick...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/05/sport/roger-goodell-responds-nfl-stronger-together-video/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You know what I’ve never understood about the objection to the kneeling is how kneeling is somehow disrespectful to the flag or anthem. I can understand you wanting people to be respectful towards a country’s flag but I’m assuming that the vast majority of players in the NFL were raised in some Christian denomination in which kneeling is seen as the ultimate show of respect. That’s whats so baffling to me about this whole thing being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

At least Brees has had the sense to climb down from his high horse, so I respect him for that. Kneeling for the anthem was a peaceful protest. Those who claimed it disrespected the flag were trying to take attention away from the real issue, which many didn't want to address or even admit to.

Talking about peaceful Kaep-like protests being disrespectful was always ridiculous, but especially tone deaf in light of events in the past 10 days. Brees deserved a lot of criticism, but thankfully he is not stupid enough to stick with his stance.

Goodell accepts that the NFL got it wrong and should have listened to the players but fails to apologise to Kaepernick...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/05/sport/roger-goodell-responds-nfl-stronger-together-video/

oh sh1t, better git on this bandwagon quick smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

glasso wrote:
    oh sh1t, better git on this bandwagon quick smart.

... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yes but given the prior stance just makes it look all the more jarring.

The NFL won't be judged well historically on this.

White administrators with a load of black lads and affirmative actions were effectively subdued.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He's damned for his reaction 3 years ago and he can't make up for that now but its good to at least see him acknowledge it was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Would even 1 in a 1000 African Americans in the NFL have backed taking the Knee, it wasn't popular among any demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Danzy wrote: »
    Would even 1 in a 1000 African Americans in the NFL have backed taking the Knee, it wasn't popular among any demographic.

The whole steelers team refused to come out for the anthem bar their lineman who had served

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You know what I’ve never understood about the objection to the kneeling is how kneeling is somehow disrespectful to the flag or anthem. I can understand you wanting people to be respectful towards a country’s flag but I’m assuming that the vast majority of players in the NFL were raised in some Christian denomination in which kneeling is seen as the ultimate show of respect. That’s whats so baffling to me about this whole thing being honest.

Certain people always find a reason to be against black people protesting.

When there isn't an obvious excuse they just make one up to be faux offended.

I'm happy Brees came out with his rebuke of Trump but it takes willful ignorance to have been a player in the NFL for the years that the protests were headlines and only now 'realize' that they weren't about the flag. Brees shows the same willful ignorance about his connections to a group that performs/supports gay conversion therapy. He is either very dumb or has very questionable morals.

Danzy wrote: »

From everything that came out, it was very popular among players but most feared for their jobs if they showed support. The few times teams supported them in taking one the majority did.

Given what happened to Kaep they were right to be scared for their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

From everything that came out, it was very popular among players but most feared for their jobs if they showed support. The few times teams supported them in taking one the majority did.

Why, were they also former starters still looking for starter money?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

ELM327 wrote: »
    Why, were they also former starters still looking for starter money?

Can you post a source for this or stop posting please?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

adrian522 wrote: »
    Can you post a source for this or stop posting please?
    Gladly

I remember it happening. Here are the first three results from a quick google. It's not like this isnt common knowledge, so there are many more links if needed.
    No one is going to pay 9-10mn to him to be a backup. He's not a starter at this point.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713471-colin-kaepernick-seahawks-contract-reportedly-didnt-happen-because-of-money
    https://www.businessinsider.com/broncos-wont-sign-colin-kaepernick-contract-john-elway-2018-8
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/28/report-kaepernick-wants-a-chance-to-start-and-9-10-million/

It's unclear what Kaepernick is seeking on his next contract. The 29-year-old was due $14.5 million in base salary next season with the 49ers before opting out.

Where does it confirm he was looking for starter money? Where did he turn down a backup job?

The Broncos one is complete nonsense, that's referring to a possible trade 2 years previously where they were expecting him to take a $5M pay cut. So not surprising he didn't go for that.

On the 3rd one $9-10 million is hardly starter money or preventing anyone from picking him up. The fact is he wasn't really given a chance by any team in the league and that was due to his protesting of police brutality.

The idea that Kaepernick doesn't have a job being because of salary demands or that he is just not good enough don't stand up to scrutiny at all.

• Advertisement

Eric Reid still doesn’t have a job.

Advertisement