Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browning/Miroku Firing Pins

Options
  • 08-06-2020 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

2020 and these firing pins are still made of what I can best describe as hardened butter.

I bought a new Browning 525 Sporter One this year. Collected it in late January. Took it out earlier Feb for the first time and then again yesterday for the second time due to Covid 19.

I have put 300 cartridges though it. Eley 28gr 7.5s is what I normally use. Got home yesterday from the club and was cleaning the gun to find that both firing pins are pitted already!!! Bottom pin is worse than the top pin. I knew about this flaw with Browning/Miroku pins before going for the 525 but the gun fits me really well and shoots great. I am very disappointed that they have pitted after only 300 cartridges.

I have spoken with a few members in my club and they confirmed that an awful lot of Brownings suffer from pitted firing pins. I am not getting any misfires and the strike on the primer is solid so the gun will likely work away without issues for some time before the pins need replacing. I know its a cheap and fast job to replace the pins, I can do it myself.

Any of you had issues with your firing pins in your Browning/Miroku and is there any aftermarket pins available that don't suffer from this flaw?

My brothers 686 is 3 years old and the pins look like new, as did the ones in my 11 year old Lanber.

In 2020 you would think that Browning would have sorted this issue. As a little exercise, anyone that has the time, go check your firing pins are report back as to have many are pitted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Ziggieire

My cousin had one made out of Grade 5 Titanium, that was two years ago.
    It's his trap and fowl gun and has not missed a beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

I have my 525 since ‘05. I was warned buying it that the pins were an issue. Pin in my gun lasted about ten years and then I only had a problem with the bottom pin.
    Aside from the pins they are a very good gun but it is a shame they are renowned for such an easily rectified fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Sika98k

This is a common problem with Browning firing pins. They either pit or crack, from a premium product you’d expect better.
    Solution, Baikal firing pins are of a similar size, button type. They need to be turned down a bit but once fitted will last forever. Much cheaper also.

Advertisement