Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to Rent for a Break in Ireland

• 02-06-2020 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

I know that Ireland still is not without restrictions. I am planning on coming home for a number of weeks in July/August/September.

I have been on to the three main car rental company websites to check out pricing.

Sixt have literally NO options for cars in July/August.

Hertz have 4 cars BMW X5, Audi Q7 or Range Rover.

Avis will not quote me for more than 30 days rental.

Dates I have been looking at are from July 30th approx to September 3rd approx.

Never had this happen prior to the Pandemic.... is something wrong with the Dublin Car Rental options in Dublin Airport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

NSAman wrote: »

This might be why Hertz have no cars, they seem to be selling off the fleet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hertz are in financial trouble; they were before the pox hit and this might push them over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Thanks Guys, not looking good for anyone even home comers in 2020!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

This might be why Hertz have no cars, they seem to be selling off the fleet.

That is their sales outlet for selling off ex hire cars. In operation years...

hertz are in financial trouble; they were before the pox hit and this might push them over the edge.

Local Franchise is very strong. The above relates to the US company.

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    I know that Ireland still is not without restrictions. I am planning on coming home for a number of weeks in July/August/September.

I have been on to the three main car rental company websites to check out pricing.

Sixt have literally NO options for cars in July/August.

Avis will not quote me for more than 30 days rental.

Dates I have been looking at are from July 30th approx to September 3rd approx.

Never had this happen prior to the Pandemic.... is something wrong with the Dublin Car Rental options in Dublin Airport?

I understand the hire companies cancelled their orders for new vehicles this year because of Covid.
    I would think things will get clearer in the coming weeks.
    Try Enterprise...........

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

BowWow wrote: »
    That is their sales outlet for selling off ex hire cars. In operation years...

There's an ad on the local radio in Waterford where one of the local car sales are selling already registered new vehicles intended for the hire market at a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

14 day quararntine is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hertz had rented out a few hundred cars to the gardai to assist in community policing. I'm guessing that's where their shortage is. Probably driving the shortage in other rental companies as well - less cats available generally.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Hertz had rented out a few hundred cars to the gardai to assist in community policing. I'm guessing that's where their shortage is. Probably driving the shortage in other rental companies as well - less cats available generally.

I thought it was Europcar that got that contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

BowWow wrote: »
    I thought it was Europcar that got that contract?

Ah yeah sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Isambard wrote: »
    14 day quararntine is it not?

That'll be gone soon enough. They've already completely changed the planned reopening and our looking to form tourist bridges with other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pretty sure that Enterprise always had a 30-day max clause. They're happy to do two consecutive rentals, but you may not get the same car the 2nd time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I got a 9 day hire at Gatwick for about €211 from Hertz, for August, booked a few months ago. Cancelled and got money back.

Had a look out of interest. To book it now, €377.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I got a 9 day hire at Gatwick for about €211 from Hertz, for August, booked a few months ago. Cancelled and got money back.

Had a look out of interest. To book it now, €377.
    so the arse has fallen out of the travel industry and their response is to jack up the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Del2005 wrote: »
    That'll be gone soon enough. They've already completely changed the planned reopening and our looking to form tourist bridges with other countries
    needs to be borne in mind though for the time being. The current situation is anyone coming into the Country has to give an address and stay there for 14 days.Not much of a holiday unless the pubs reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there anywhere in Dublin where you could rent a car right now?

Advertisement