Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great (Hulu)

• 24-05-2020 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

514167.png

From Tony McNamara, who wrote The Favourite. I've watched the first two. It's pretty good entertainment so far. Elle Fanning is actually very good in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Up to episode 6. Quite fun.
    *Occasionally True. Huzzah!

The writer, Tony McNamara, has done a great job in walking a difficult line; making a dark comedy about a naive but ambitious queen's attempt at navigating life in the court of her husband, the capricious and cruel emperor Peter III, where there is many a gruesome scene alongside genuinely funny moments. It all works quite well, with lots of memorable characters.
    The historical fact is that Catherine led a coup against her husband, and tracing the reasons for her decision and her attempts to bring it about was quite well done and interesting, though with the proclaimed caveat; *an occasionally true story. It occasionally stumbles a bit, but is consistently entertaining in many different ways. Elle Fanning is fantastic in it. Would love a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,332 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Great will premiere on Channel 4 on Sunday January 3rd at 9pm

Created by Tony McNamara, The Great is described as a satirical comedy drama that chronicles the anti-historical ride through 18th Century Russia and follows the wildly comedic rise of Catherine the Nothing to Catherine the Great – the longest reigning female ruler in Russia’s history.

The series is produced by Civic Center Media in association with MRC Television and stars Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult, Phoebe Fox, Adam Godley, Gwilym Lee, Charity Wakefield, Douglas Hodge, Sacha Dhawan, Sebastian de Souza, Bayo Gbadamosi and Belinda Bromilow. McNamara executive produces alongside Marian Macgowan, Thruline’s Josh Kesselman and Ron West, Echo Lake’s Brittany Kahan Ward, Doug Mankoff and Andrew Spaulding, Elle Fanning, Mark Winemaker and Matt Shakman. The series previously aired in the UK on StarzPlay.

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2020/12/channel-4-sets-premiere-date-for-the-great/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I enjoyed this. I like my historical fiction either reasonably accurate or absolutely off the wall like this. The main issue with it for me will be that Nicholas Hoult is fantastic, the only thing I enjoyed about The Favourite, and Peter's
    days are numbered.

*Not sure that something that happened in 1762 counts as a spoiler, but...

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    *Not sure that something that happened in 1762 counts as a spoiler, but...
    I suppose it does in the same way as watching Titanic and knowing.... well, I don't want to spoil it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Finished this today.
    Totally enjoyed it.
    The main cast are excellent - especially loved the army guy (Douglas Hodge), the emperor's aunt (Belinda Bromilow) and the Archbishop (Adam Godley) .
    It zips along with some really funny, sarcastic and machiavellian scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Catching it now on Channel 4. Its actually very entertaining - Tsarist Russia is always an enigma and is a lesson in what happens when one clique gain absolute power. Elle Fanning is great - my only quibble is her perfect English accent when in fact Catherine the great was German.

541409.png

Gillian Anderson joins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Gillian Anderson joins

There is a second series ? Pray tell.

recipio wrote: »
    There is a second series ? Pray tell.

Yes it was renewed

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-great-renewed-season-2-hulu-1234696370/
    The Great has been renewed for Season 2 at Hulu.
    The news comes just shy of two months after the debut of the first season on May 15. Like the first, the second season will consist of 10 episodes.
    The series is described as a satirical dramedy about the rise of Catherine the Great (Elle Fanning) from outsider to the longest-reigning female ruler in Russia’s history.
    Along with Fanning, Season 1 starred Nicholas Hoult, Phoebe Fox, Adam Godley, Gwilym Lee, Charity Wakefield, Douglas Hodge, Sacha Dhawan, Sebastian de Souza, Bayo Gbadamosi, and Belinda Bromilow

Renewed for 3rd Season

The 2nd season starts on Channel 4 on Wednesday July 27th at 10pm

Seen the first two episodes of season 2. Continues in the same vein; very amusing palace intrigue and flippancy towards killing - all on the nose as satire, especially in the current political situation - but surprisingly good drama. Elle Fanning excellent in this.

Coming towards the end of this now, and I have to say it's really grown on me, and at this stage I think it's excellent.

Gillian Anderson as Catherine's mother! Huzzah!

Best off weekly I'd say, because the mannerisms and flippancies involved would be too much to binge, but there's a lot going on, so you have to keep up. Weekly is Goldilocks I think.

Love this show. It's (farcical) violence has lessened quite a bit, as it has become more drama oriented, which it has done quite well. Everyone at one point or another is scheming, increasing the drama, so you don't have to love the characters to be invested. In terms of drama, Wikipedia says "each episode's title sequence subtitled the series as an "occasionally true story" until the second season finale, when it changed to "an almost entirely untrue story." So (almost) completely made-up drama at this stage. But it is great. Huzzah!

The Great season 3 will premiere on 14th of July on Lionsgate+

Advertisement