Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General questions

Options
  • 06-06-2020 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

Hi

I know the answers here will not be a definitive guide and I will just use them as loose guidelines. (Food safety and all this)

Looking to fry red onions and button mushrooms to compliment a steak.

How long roughly should I fry each for?
    I presume I can fry them in same pan as the steak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

About 5 or 6 minutes for onions and mushrooms, you want to get them soft. And yes the same pan as the steak is fine.

For a nice caramelised red onion chop them into a bowl, add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and a teaspoon or so of brown sugar. Mix and coat the onions in that then fry them on a very low heat for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Always cook onions for 3x longer than a recipe tells you unless the figure looks high - every recipe writer or editor out there is scared to admit how long it takes onions to soften and then caramelise if doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks all. Maybe not so caramelising them, just to eat with the steak.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Same pan is fine, but you want to cook steak fast and hot, and onions low and slow. Either do the onions first and then leave them in a warm place until the steak is done, or do the steak first and leave it rest while you do the onions.

Advertisement