Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1268622750463062017?s=19

What an incoherent mess, full of deflection and whataboutery as usual. Never has a President talked so much but said so little.

Time for Stephen once again.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/895081686681124864

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Donald won't like this outside his front door/cage. Now that relative calmness is setting in DC, the mayor is starting to push back. Aside from this she has cancelled curfews, pushed national guard out of hotels, cancelled the emergency notice.

https://twitter.com/MurielBowser/status/1268916115809488896?s=20

He is so tone deaf. Apparently the black man murdered by police would be looking down happy about the improved job numbers, despite the fact the data showed that black unemployment got worse.

https://twitter.com/clairecmc/status/1268927209831448576?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Donald won't like this outside his front door/cage. Now that relative calmness is setting in DC, the mayor is starting to push back. Aside from this she has cancelled curfews, pushed national guard out of hotels, cancelled the emergency notice.

https://twitter.com/MurielBowser/status/1268916115809488896?s=20

Sticking it to The Donald. It's the least he deserves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, but Biden was very liberal for his time. I'm guessing not much has changed. Anyway, here's the rub. You need someone who will get elected. Biden has to be all things to most men. So he has to appear conservative enough to attract the middle while also attracting the people who support Ocasio-Cortez. Sure, American politics needs a shakeup. But now is not the time. It's too binary to take any chances. First and foremost, remove Trump. Ocasio-Cortez won't do that so she's out. Biden has a great chance, swing in behind him. Biden is fine and the priority is no Trump.

Unfortunately, his VP pick needs to be relatively mainstream as well. Many people will agree with you that Biden may well not last the term. So they will look to his VP and assume that is who they are ultimately voting in as POTUS.

Funny, 'cos when I read the more liberal outlets or voices online, this is the exact phrase that drives them demented every time - especially as a response to a "radical" proposal; be it universal healthcare, slavery restitution, electoral reform or something done around the 2nd Amendment (usually in the white heat of another shooting, alongside the "thoughts and prayers" platitutdes)

While I get what you mean by "now", specific to the current election cycle, "Now is not the time" kinda plays into the exact point I'm getting at: Washington persist upon the agreement that nobody ruffles feathers too much, nobody tries to change the rules of the game & the system just abides under small degrees of parsimonious change. The ACA was the last great political upheaval and barely survived inception - let alone continuance.

You're not wrong, but it feels like there's an increasingly large dissonance between those who'd appeal for cool heads and small steps, and those on the front lines, their businesses torched by looters, or their heads caved in by over-zealous cops. Trump was a reaction by the Rust Belt to an economy shifting away from them - but Trump's presidency has also shown the system as essentially inert and serving nobody except equilibrium for its own sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He is so tone deaf. Apparently the black man murdered by police would be looking down happy about the improved job numbers, despite the fact the data showed that black unemployment got worse.

Thats fantastic. If it wasn't so sad theres an Emmy there for best comedy.

Sticking it to The Donald. It's the least he deserves.

She is also changing the name of the street outside the White House to Black Lives Matter Plaza. It is childish but with all that is going on in the world it is worth the laugh.

Same level of trolling as when Iran renamed the street the British embassy was on from Winston Churchill Street to Bobby Sands Street

https://twitter.com/MayorBowser/status/1268928589975695361?s=20

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

https://twitter.com/clairecmc/status/1268927209831448576?s=20

Thing is. Honestly? I genuinely don't believe Trump even knows who George Floyd is. We know from tattle his intelligence briefings need to be reduced to single pages, his name peppered throughout to maintain concentration; the adults like Tillerson etc have long left the White House. All that remains is Trump and the young sycophants trying to stay on the GOP ladder.

It's entirely plausible Trump doesn't know who sparked the protests in the first place and just breezed past the question to yammer about job numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think he's evil. I don't think he said it like that on purpose.

I just think he's a total, utter and complete imbecile of sub-normal intelligence, suffering from several and complex psychological disorders. I don't think he understands the basic difference or problem or context when he says things like that. It simply does not compute.

That alone makes him unfit to have ever been POTUS and all Americans need to turn their attention to how that happened and how a person incapable of carrying out even the basic duties of the office found himself there.

At this stage though, rather than being merely stultified, the Cabinet should remove him under the 25th amendment and have Pence take over until November. Anyone who does not want to do this but has the power to, is indecent and unpatriotic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Given the Mad Dog's sabre rattling over a little crowd control. I guess we could see coup d'etat in the US then.

No.

I just don't see it. There is always a lawful chain of command. The Army's been apolitical for two centuries, no indications of it changing. The most that will happen is a refusal to follow unlawful orders. A coup means the military will use unlawful force to change the leadership of the country, I see no realistic scenario where that will become necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

1. There is no difference between Nazi and Hitler, given Hitler founded and led the Nazi party through basically it's entire existence barring a brief period after his suicide, and did so as the undisputed, unquestioned 'leader'. That you are trying to use "Mattis compared Trump to the NAZIS not HITLER is astounding though entirely expected, to be honest.

2. Mattis did not jump before being pushed, as John Kelly who was Chief of Staff has asserted. You might not like that but it is what it is. Serving under this administration is an embarrassment, a tarnishing on your record, and he had had enough.

3. Criticising Trump is not 'angling for political position', the fact that you can't see past this again shows a reflexive need to ignore the facts or reality. You will need to show how he has been looking to get into political positions, which political positions, and how in order to have any credibility in this statement whatsoever.

It is incredibly how easy it is to predict responses from Trump's defenders hence why I pre-empted this correctly, only to see you try it anyway with the goalposts shifted to (quelle surprise) whataboutism of previous presidents. So now tell me, which of these presidents had their own secretarial appointees comparing them to Hitler and the Nazis?

Again back to a straw man about 'no voting' which we covered only a few posts back. There is nothing realistic in your posts made on this subject, as you have not backed them up with anything of worth nor note.

Running through their shared fascist tendencies with a mix of copy/paste from this article by experts on fascism, and my own words: https://www.gq.com/story/is-america-heading-towards-fascism

1. An Era of Social Upheaval - Fascism tends to arise out of a very specific set of circumstances: when a group of people that once felt politically and economically secure suddenly finds themselves feeling marginalized. After World War I, devastating hyperinflation and unemployment exacerbated the humiliation of Germany’s defeat, fomenting widespread disillusionment among its citizens. In his review of historian Hannah Arendt’s classic work The Origins of Totalitarianism, Isaac describes a “generalized crisis of legitimacy” throughout post-war Europe in which “large numbers of people felt dispossessed, disenfranchised, and disconnected from dominant social institutions,” unsure how they fit into the emerging world order—if at all anymore. This a perfect descriptor for a lot of Trump's modern day support, especially 'rust belters'.

2. A Nostalgia for a Lost, Glorious Past - German dictator Adolf Hitler cast his Third Reich as the successor to the pre-war German Empire, and to the Holy Roman Empire before that vs Trump's "Make America Great Again" (compared to when, exactly?)

3. The Scapegoating of Minority Groups
    Once a group has identified a problem, they must identify a way to fix it. And this, says Dumm, is a key moment in the emergence of fascism. “When people are feeling insecure about their status, they can go one of two ways,” he explains. “They can say, ‘We have to work together to make things better.’ But the fascist response is to find scapegoats, and build the idea things will be better if these people are marginalized and dealt with.” ... Academic studies of 2016 Trump voters suggest that white Christian males were more motivated by the perceived loss of their group's dominant status than by economic well-being. Scapegoating enables people to duck their collective responsibility to solve hard problems, or to even think about what causes foundational economic shifts in the first place. It is easier, for example, to blame immigrants and refugees for disappearing jobs than it is to grapple with the intertwined complexities of globalization, climate change, and the steady accumulation of corporate power.

4. A Strongman Savior - fascism relies on a strong, charismatic authoritarian figure, uniquely equipped to do what must be done to solve the problem without allowing pesky institutions to stand in the way. The leader becomes the vessel for the authentic will of the people, and any dissenters become enemies of the state. ... Egomaniacal, almost messianic declarations are common among fascist strongmen. ... Hitler declared himself the true representative of “have-nots” everywhere. “I know that the whole German nation is behind me,” he said. “I am the guardian of its future, and I act accordingly.” ... While accepting his party’s presidential nomination at the Republication National Convention in 2016, Trump declared his own political uniqueness. “Nobody knows the system better than me,” he told attendees, “which is why I alone can fix it.”

5. The Stifling of Dissent - Hitler consolidated power by suspending civil liberties and cutting the legislature out of the lawmaking process. We are seeing this today in Trump's attempts to completely undermine the law, primarily through William Barr who was appointed on the back of a 19 page letter explcitly arguing the law does not apply to Trump, with mail in voting rights (mail in voting that Trump uses) being the latest of many examples ... He has, for example, referred to journalists as “the enemy of the people,” frequently calling out specific outlets and reporters who publish stories he does not like. He has also advocated for the imprisonment of political rivals, asserted that Democratic politicians "hate America," and dismissed as illegitimate any attempts to exercise oversight over his administration’s alleged wrongdoing.

6. Ritualistic Communal Bonding - Rallies are integral to the strength of fascism because they reiterate its core promises: that the nation must be restored to its rightful place in the world, and the leader is solely capable of bringing about that result. ... In Nazi Germany, rallies were choreographed affairs that built party loyalty and glorified nationalistic might. Hitler wrote of the “suggestive ecstasy” that comes with having one’s views affirmed by thousands of fellow rally-goers, and relied heavily on stage lighting and other theatrical effects to enthrall audiences with spectacle. Trump, a show business and social media personality before entering politics, understands the importance of spectacle, too. His “Make America Great Again” rallies are televised rituals in which he encourages attendees to join one another—and him—in acts of cathartic release. (In a recent op-ed, the New York Times’s Jamelle Bouie attributed Trump’s “unbreakable bond" with supporters to the permission he gives them to “express their sense of siege.”)

---

Expanding further in my own words with a few other examples, including but absolutely not limited to:
    Moving beyond that, we have the fact that Trump wedged his way into the public consciousness using a new medium that could reach the masses which most other politicians had not fully latched on to, and which would allow him to shout down others and create an echo chamber, namely social media and especially Twitter. This is also true of Hitler, as the inventor of the megaphone went to his grave feeling somewhat responsible for the rise of the Nazi party due to Hitler's (and Goebbels') masterful use of it, while many other politicians were simply shouting from the top of their lungs at much smaller gatherings.

We have the systemic use of concentration camps for some of the vilified minorities upon whom societies problems can be blamed, from above. Sure it's 'their rapists and murderers' that are coming to the southern US border, who cares if they get thrown into concentration camps, children separated from their parents and all in the process? Thankfully Trump's are not on the scale nor murderous tendencies of Hitler's, but to be honest at this point I would not find myself all that surprised if he were to attempt to use similar for protesters seen on the street, or if he were to escalate their 'uses'.

Trump also literally borrows language and phrases used by explicit supporters of Hitler and the Nazi party during the 1930s and 40s in the US, particularly 'America First'.

Then you have the fact that Trump's administration has been found to have actual white supremacists and neo Nazis within it, perhaps most notably Stephen Miller, which is why they actual U.S Justice Department were sending links to anti-Semitic websites to prominent Jewish groups, in other words not even trying to hide it - https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/08/23/federal-judges-received-link-an-anti-semitic-blog-post-it-came-justice-department/ . Trump refuses to so much as acknowledge any of this, never mind act against it.

You also have the dehumanisation and attempts to paint those politically opposed to him as 'violent animals' and the likes, while glossing over and ignoring the violence of his own 'very fine' supporters, something Hitler and the Nazis used to great effect to silence opposition and even frame their own supporters acts of violence as committed by others. For all his eagerness to call in the actual army to slaughter protesters in recent days, it was only a few weeks ago that Trump was actively calling for armed uprisings to 'liberate' states with Democratic governors who refused to reopen for him.

The aggressive stuffing of the federal courts with judges based on nothing more than political ideology (many of whom have been entirely under-qualified, some even without a single trial's worth of experience) and subjecting them to executive oversight (e.g. "don't step out of line") fits in perfectly with Gleichschaltung, as the Nazi's had a bit of an obsession with trying to do just about everything that the Weimar administration before them had put in place just as Trump is with Obama.

The list could go on and on, but it largely revolves around:
    - Build populist, angry following on a vague sense of nostalgia and anger about the present, directing said anger towards particular groups who can be blamed for all of societies wrongs rather than looking at the wider picture.
    - Unify this following with constant engagement, rallies, and contact to reinforce these ideas, vilify all opposition as 'liars' and create a siege mentality so that any dissenting voices will not be listened to regardless of their validity. This also makes it clear to all within that stepping out of line will create serious issues for anyone who dates (the recent movie Jojo Rabbit captured this quite well). Place yourself as an infallible strong man with all the answers for any issue that might arise, and anyone who dissents as merely jealous of your glory or an enemy of the people.
    - Use this anger to mobilise your voter base, both to the booth and out into the public to intimidate and threaten anyone who dares speak against you.
    - If/when this escalates into violence, ensure to blame the opposition wherever possible and avoid doing so with your own supporters. Downplay your own supporters instances of violence while using any and all from the opposition as reasons to further impose your own authority, preferably with structures in place to do so with minimal obstruction (courts under your control, a congress that will refuse to convict you even when they admit you are guilty, etc). Wherever possible, blow up any institution that might not be willing to submit to you as such (typically referred to as purges, though they can also be mass resignations)/
    - If the opportunity to escalate the violence and tensions in instances involving opposition occurs, always always always take it.
    - Never let an opportunity pass to sow division among any who speak out against you in any capacity whatsoever, even when it might seem unnecessary to the casual onlooker. If two separate groups in the opposition have their own disagreements but believe they can still work together and very much see you as the common enemy, make sure you and your support are at all instances shouting how "the [opposition] are eating each other!" and use this to reinforce your dehumanisation of them as uncivil, inferior, and entirely unfit to rule.
    - Inch by inch, use the above tactics to try and take over every facet of government, and as many aspects of public and private life as possible. Turn up the temperature as appropriate - what your supporters might not agree with today, they can be convinced are perfectly acceptable tomorrow or the day after (which has very much been a feature of the last 3-4 years of the Trump presidency, predictions of his actions his supporters would have given a "lol yeah right!" response to in 2016 or 2017, they in 2020 will instead respond to with "yeah, and he is right").

An excellent post.

In particular, that last piece is the part that needs the greatest attention for the future:

"Turn up the temperature as appropriate - what your supporters might not agree with today, they can be convinced are perfectly acceptable tomorrow or the day after (which has very much been a feature of the last 3-4 years of the Trump presidency, predictions of his actions his supporters would have given a "lol yeah right!" response to in 2016 or 2017, they in 2020 will instead respond to with "yeah, and he is right")"

What ended up as our collective understanding of the horror that was Hitler's Nazi reign did not happen out of thin air. The Nazi atrocities of 1943 took some years to 'grow into', based on successive steps of ever worsening behaviour. What was 'normal' by 1938 would have been considered as 'impossible' in 1931.

In that context, I see Trumpism In June 2020 as nowhere near comparable with Nazism 1944. However, at the current point in its arc of development, I see significant mirrors of Nazism 1932-1933 with attempts at Nazism 1935 thrown in. I see a big effort to ramp up its grip between now and November with the Elections becoming the 'battle space' that will see elements of full-blown 1933 replicated in the second half of 2020. We 're nowhere near Nazism 1937-39 yet, so comparisons of Trumpism with that phase of Nazism are an exaggeration.

We need to see Trumpism as being a journey rather than a destination. And like all journeys, there will be stops and starts, accelerations and decelerations, passengers getting on and off and some minor collisions along the way. Initially, the journey starts off within the guardrails, but at some point, those guardrails are removed and all controls on where the whole thing might go are vested in the hands of one person, the driver. Trump is that driver.

If you wish to stop any journey, you must block it from proceeding as soon as possible. Erecting speed limits and stop signs may work for some journeys; others require the use of strong road blocks and others require the shredding of tires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's genuinely impressive how the President of the United States can, with a poker face troll every decent person in the country he "leads".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

It's genuinely impressive how the President of the United States can, with a poker face troll every decent person in the country he "leads".

What's more impressive are those who have so blinded themselves by their desire to follow him/the fantasy he represents; that the cannot or will not see the utter disaster he is in everything he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

She is also changing the name of the street outside the White House to Black Lives Matter Plaza. It is childish but with all that is going on in the world it is worth the laugh.

He might even be able to hear the chants of "pigs in a blanket fry em like bacon" . Good laugh alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

peddlelies wrote: »
    He might even be able to hear the chants of "pigs in a blanket fry em like bacon" or "what do we want? Dead cops. When do we want them now?" from his window. Good laugh alright.

Ouch chants.

Ten times more hurtful than a rubber bullets to the eye, one push knock out or you know the oul classic shooting someone dead in their bed.

listermint wrote: »
    Ouch chants.

Ten times more hurtful than a rubber bullets to the eye, one push knock out or you know the oul classic shooting someone dead in their bed.

Look at crime statistics, it's not an easy problem to solve. Many cops and innocent store owners were murdered over the past few days.

Look at crime statistics, it's not an easy problem to solve. Many cops and innocent store owners were murdered over the past few days.

How many police officers were killed by protesters?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd like to engage further with your very topical posting style but nah. It's Friday I won't harm my mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Ah, where would we be without good old "LOOK! OVER THERE! " deflection!

Exactly How many cops and innocent store owners were murdered over the past few days during legitimate, Constitutionally -protected peaceful protests?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Exactly How many cops and innocent store owners were murdered over the past few days during legitimate, Constitutionally -protected peaceful protests?

The what about defence is always a tell tale sign that there is no defence to whatever is been accused, charged.

I would say as well considering the police murdered George Floyd in broad daylight and that was the spark that started the current protests against police brutality and behaviour you would think the police even if they did not mean it would be on their best behaviour at least for a while. Instead we have seen the same old police brutality and denials in many instances. For example the journalist and cameraman from Australia who were beaten while covering police attacking peaceful protestors and then the police turning around and issuing a public statement pretty much every word of which was a lie. Or the 75 year old man who was shoved to the ground while doing nothing and cracking his head open again the police statement they issued was a lie. The reality is it is not just about the brutality and behaviour of the police in the US which is belligerent and has become very militarised but it also the behaviour of the police off the streets who's default position it seems is to cover up and lie regardless and only concede when they are absolutely forced to.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »

I'm obviously not against peaceful protestors and I'm not going to spend 30 minutes on phone searching for every officer or store owner shot, you can do that yourself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1223386

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/dave-patrick-underwood-rip-11591054196

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/las-vegas-police-officer-shot-head-protests/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Am I right in thinking that the mention of George floyds name was done during a job numbers event of some kind or if it wasn't why was trump talking earlier today ?

So "many cops" were not "murdered".

eire4 wrote: »
    The what about defence is always a tell tale sign that there is no defence to whatever is been accused, charged.

I would say as well considering the police murdered George Floyd in broad daylight and that was the spark that started the current protests against police brutality and behaviour you would think the police even if they did not mean it would be on their best behaviour at least for a while. Instead we have seen the same old police brutality and denials in many instances. For example the journalist and cameraman from Australia who were beaten while covering police attacking peaceful protestors and then the police turning around and issuing a public statement pretty much every word of which was a lie. Or the 75 year old man who was shoved to the ground while doing nothing and cracking his head open again the police statement they issued was a lie. The reality is it is not just about the brutality and behaviour of the police in the US which is belligerent and has become very militarised but it also the behaviour of the police off the streets who's default position it seems is to cover up and lie regardless and only concede when they are absolutely forced to.

An update on that, the 75 members of the buffalo tactical response unit have resigned from that unit in support of the two officers who were suspended because of the incident and I've highlighted. So it seems given all the things that have happened and when there is proof of the incident their fellow officers take their side.

eire4 wrote: »

I'm not defending police brutality or denying its existence at all. The cop who killed Mr Floyd should spend the rest of his years behind bars, those who were with him and allowed it to happen should also be severely punished.

What I'm saying is its unfair to solely put blame on law enforcement as a whole, there are definitely bad cops but at least imo, vast overwhelming majority are brave people who risk their lives defending others. They are in an impossible situation because certain minorities are disproportionately committing serious crimes at a high frequency. James Comey as FBI director said the BLM movement was preventing officers from doing their jobs and as such would result in an increase in crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Just based on your "random" sample.

Two black men, and the cop was shot by a white guy who claims he was shooting at the protesters.

Lends credence to the idea that a lot of the trouble is being caused by some "very fine people".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the mention of George floyds name was done during a job numbers event of some kind or if it wasn't why was trump talking earlier today ?

Not quite, he did say that today was a great day for George Floyd, which is insane, but was talking in the context of equal treatment from law enforcement.
    It got mixed up in the usual word salad he comes out with.

Just based on your "random" sample.

Two black men, and the cop was shot by a white guy who claims he was shooting at the protesters.

Lends credence to the idea that a lot of the trouble is being caused by some "very fine people".

Yeah it's definately conservatives doing all the rioting and looting, give me a break christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    An update on that, the 75 members of the buffalo tactical response unit have resigned from that unit in support of the two officers who were suspended because of the incident and I've highlighted. So it seems given all the things that have happened and when there is proof of the incident their fellow officers take their side.

57 officers. Not 75.

Only a few bad eggs and yet here are 59 of them in one area. You would think they would be trying to help the pr that force are not out to only protect and serve themselves.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    57 officers. Not 75.

Only a few bad eggs and yet here are 59 of them in one area. You would think they would be trying to help the pr that force are not out to only protect and serve themselves.

I appreciate the correction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement