Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to get field cut.

Options
  • 31-05-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Asking on behalf of someone not familiar with internet.

They purchased a house which came with garden and also a field out back (easy access). I believe there were a few horses etc in there before. Only around 1 and a bit acres. Obviously overgrown to **** now. What would be a reasonable quote for someone to cut it down? Obviously they're welcome to any hay etc. Meath if it makes a difference..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Some lad might cut it and take the bales more than likely be would just bale silage off it. However is it clean land with no loose stones or jutting stones in the paddock. As well I presume that horses are out if it a few months.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Who2

You are probably as well ask a neighbouring farmer. no contractor is going to be intereseted and even any farmer with respect for his machinery wont want into it.
    Half buried bicycles, flowerpots, buckets, stones, rope and clothes lines will usually be found in these gardens along with overhanging branches knocking lights off the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Ask neighbor farmer if he wants it or to cut it or to bring his contractor in when he's at his place. Contractor charges 15 euro/acre. A one off acre with dubious shrapnel or not ....30euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

lalababa wrote: »
    Ask neighbor farmer if he wants it or to cut it or to bring his contractor in when he's at his place. Contractor charges 15 euro/acre. A one off acre with dubious shrapnel or not ....30euro?

Grand seems a fair enough price will relay. Land looks pretty sound square fairly even just overgrown. Good length to the grass currently so could see why someone would be dubious about cutting it.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

Grand seems a fair enough price will relay. Land looks pretty sound square fairly even just overgrown. Good length to the grass currently so could see why someone would be dubious about cutting it.

Thanks all.
    You wouldn’t have a hope of anytime risking their machinery for €30 for that. Minimum if €100 for any job like that if you can get some one to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I had similar when, I moved into my place. It was too late to cut so I let a farmer put some calves on the land. Made short work of the grass and fertilised it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

lalababa wrote: »

Holy !.....Mowing in our country is €32 an acre...

Realistically if he came to just 1 acre, he'd genuinely want €150...probably be 2 hours before hed be back home..

alps wrote: »
    Holy !.....Mowing in our country is €32 an acre...

Realistically if he came to just 1 acre, he'd genuinely want €150...probably be 2 hours before hed be back home..

Baling contractor is 10euro/bale to mow, rake, bale and wrap. The mowing is 2euro/bake at extra.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Asking on behalf of someone not familiar with internet.

They purchased a house which came with garden and also a field out back (easy access). I believe there were a few horses etc in there before. Only around 1 and a bit acres. Obviously overgrown to **** now. What would be a reasonable quote for someone to cut it down? Obviously they're welcome to any hay etc. Meath if it makes a difference..
    If it’s gone wild it could need mulching to clean off & then advertise for silage / hay every year
    Mulching would be €60/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

An image would stop all the speculating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I was asked 2 years ago to cut an acre behind a house about 500m up the road. Similar story with horses being grazed there a few years previous. First run around I hit a stone about 2' square so pulled out and left the rest of it. Did no damage thankfully except for a couple of knives.

Met the woman who owned it a few days later and explained my story about the stone. Couldn't understand why I wouldn't cut the rest of it.

Moral of the story is nothing would pay you to cut some of these type fields. Unless the owners are willing to go through it with a fine tooth comb beforehand you'll be hard pushed to find someone.

Graze it with something or get someone to graze it and then maybe look at getting it cut when its bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It's hard to get any lad to do anything anymore there was a time you could let the young lad off with the 35X and mowing bar. We had a little finger mower here it was indistructable but no body wants to do anything especially with this covid payment waiting on a carpenter to come and tidy up a few bits around the house no joy yet he flat out drawing beer out of local supermarket and topping up the tan in the back garden.

Baling contractor is 10euro/bale to mow, rake, bale and wrap. The mowing is 2euro/bake at extra.

Mowing 32
    Raking 13
    Bale 4.50
    Draw 3 to 6
    Wrap and stack 4.00
    Plastic 3.00

Just staggering the costs in our part of the world compared to elsewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Mowing 32
    Raking 13
    Bale 4.50
    Draw 3 to 6
    Wrap and stack 4.00
    Plastic 3.00

Local contractors here are
    Mowing €25 to €30 /acre
    Bale (with a combi) €7 to €8.50 per bale
    Raking €12/acre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Easiest thing to do is mulch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Local contractors here are
    Mowing €25 to €30 /acre
    Bale (with a combi) €7 to €8.50 per bale
    Raking €12/acre

Jaysus I'd love to be getting them rates

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

25 to mow with conditioner mower
    6.50 fusion with net 7 with film
    8 to rake
    Keltec 60 per hour to draw in

Reggie. wrote: »

You're living in the wrong place Reggie...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mowing 32
    Raking 13
    Bale 4.50
    Draw 3 to 6
    Wrap and stack 4.00
    Plastic 3.00

50 euro a acre here for wagon and rake, mow and put up ourselves, used to be making a 1000 plus bales here a year, making none now, it’s a crazy expensive way of making silage unless it’s for tidying up paddocks and low numbers

You're living in the wrong place Reggie...

Will ya take me??

• Advertisement

We are in the middle of one of the most intensive dairy areas in the country. We aren't over run with contractors here, but the ones that are here are very good. I've no problem paying for a good service. Because I sure as hell couldn't afford the machinery.
    Contract fertiliser spreading is starting gain traction in this area now.

We are in the middle of one of the most intensive dairy areas in the country. We aren't over run with contractors here, but the ones that are here are very good. I've no problem paying for a good service. Because I sure as hell couldn't afford the machinery.
    Contract fertiliser spreading is starting gain traction in this area now.
    I'm stuck in a auld lad beef enterprise area

I'm stuck in a auld lad beef enterprise area

I am seriously thinking that if I want to be my own boss, that I should start out doing some of this stuff. It's prime area for it.
    Would need
    150hp tractor with loader or front linkage.
    Bale handlers.
    2 ton Fertiliser spreader with GPS

On the maybe list (or down the line) would be,
    Rake
    Trailing shoe

I am seriously thinking that if I want to be my own boss, that I should start out doing some of this stuff. It's prime area for it.
    Would need
    150hp tractor with loader or front linkage.
    Bale handlers.
    2 ton Fertiliser spreader with GPS

On the maybe list (or down the line) would be,
    Rake
    Trailing shoe

3000L sprayer,
    Zero grazer
    2nd slurry tanker
    A second real tractor not 'dini because a tractor jockey would not be seen dead in a 'dini
    A couple silage wagons
    loading shovel
    Diet feeder
    Headge cutter
    Third tractor definately not a'dini might be possible to find one 'dini jockey but not a second ask Reggie

Slava Ukrainii

Will ya take me??

By day...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I know I’m gonna go “duh” when I hear the answer but I’m goin to ask anyhow.
    Wats a dini?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    I know I’m gonna go “duh” when I hear the answer but I’m goin to ask anyhow.
    Wats a dini?

Some ppl seem to think they are a tractor other no so, landini,

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Duh

By day...

He sick of night work

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

3000L sprayer,
    Zero grazer
    2nd slurry tanker
    A second real tractor not 'dini because a tractor jockey would not be seen dead in a 'dini
    A couple silage wagons
    loading shovel
    Diet feeder
    Headge cutter
    Third tractor definately not a'dini might be possible to find one 'dini jockey but not a second ask Reggie

Oh you cheeky hoor :D

Advertisement