Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I've cooked beef ribs in the oven and they are delicious. They are cheap to buy, I got them in Musgraves. They are sometimes called Jacob's Ladder. They would be fabulous finished on the bbq

beer-braised-short-ribs.jpg?itok=ZD3REU0o:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

jos28 wrote: »
    I've cooked beef ribs in the oven and they are delicious. They are cheap to buy, I got them in Musgraves. They are sometimes called Jacob's Ladder. They would be fabulous finished on the bbq

I tried it. If they've been cooked to fall apart levels they kinda fall apart on the BBQ which isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

The Nal wrote: »
    I tried it. If they've been cooked to fall apart levels they kinda fall apart on the BBQ which isn't great

:( No, that could be very messy and not worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Aldi have some very nice large sweet chilli sausages. They go very well on the BBQ and they have brioche hot dog buns to finish it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Is there an ignition sequence for a 3 burner? Or what I'm missing? I have to try hard to get the furthest one on the line going on PortaChef 320.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If there is it should be made clear on the grill itself. My very old one was 2-1-3 for instance but this was written on it in two places

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

I made the same mistake with bacon ribs before and cooked them for two days only to realise very quickly that they were completely inedible.

Id say it is one off the major pitfalls for new BBQ enthusiasts in Ireland.

I've used this recipe for pork ribs a number of times and they are delicious. Finish on the BBQ (and not in the oven).

https://donalskehan.com/recipes/sticky-bbq-spare-ribs/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bbari wrote: »
    Have any of you done any modification on your Webber Mastertouch to stop the coal fall through the grate? What sort of mesh wire layer i can spread over the grate to stop the coal falling thru but let the ash fall ?

This is the gas bbq thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

So I put together the Woodies Phoenix 3 Burner BBQ today, instructions were not the greatest so slow and steady was the plan...luckily nothing leftover at the end. :)

514849.jpg

On the side plate I installed the connections per the instructions however there is a sort of mesh section on the connector which seems like it would let gas escape, maybe I am wrong? See here: :confused:

514850.jpg

Lastly I had an old empty tank of gas which seems to fit the connection but just want to be 100% sure before buying a replacement. Advice welcome - am I good to go? :confused:

514851.jpg

514852.jpg

514853.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭micks_address

Picked up a new Weber spirit eo210 gas bbq on Friday. Bit of assembling to it but fired up Saturday. Before I had a charcoal Weber and while I loved charcoal the gas is just so handy and quick. Burgers yesterday from the local butcher and today lamb chops with carrots and parsnips par boiled then finished on the grill. It's only a 2 burner but probably plenty big for us family of four..rib eye steak tomorrow..the gbs grates are far better job than the porcelain. Ordered the Skillet and thermometer and picked up a stainless steel tray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

eddiem74 wrote: »
    So I put together the Woodies Phoenix 3 Burner BBQ today, instructions were not the greatest so slow and steady was the plan...luckily nothing leftover at the end. :)

514849.jpg

On the side plate I installed the connections per the instructions however there is a sort of mesh section on the connector which seems like it would let gas escape, maybe I am wrong? See here: :confused:

514850.jpg

Lastly I had an old empty tank of gas which seems to fit the connection but just want to be 100% sure before buying a replacement. Advice welcome - am I good to go? :confused:

514851.jpg

514852.jpg

514853.jpg

I have the exact same mesh on mine and it's a different make

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The mesh lets air get dragged in as the gas whooshes by in the tube. Other bbq's have little holes instead of a mesh to allow air in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

You don't really need lava rocks if the burner quality is any good, they are more or less a thing of the past, just help reduce hot spots, but quality new bbq's shouldn't have hot spots

surely the grease and fats dripping onto the rocks will add flavours over the days and weeks ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

514851.jpg

514852.jpg

514853.jpg

Experts,

Any advice on this - will the same tank work or? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Experts,

Any advice on this - will the same tank work or? Thanks.

No that looks like the wrong type, you need to get the patio gas. Calor is grey and flogas is cream

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    No that looks like the wrong type, you need to get the patio gas. Calor is grey and flogas is cream

It's a little confusing to be honest. We bought our Weber on Friday and the garden center didn't have any gas left..just pop into the petrol station they said and get some propane..make sure it's propane..so queue the drive into the local petrol station to ask for propane...none available and none anywhere he says..can't be got...mild panic sets in as I've a gas bbq with no gas...drive past the local centra and they have two flogas propane cans outside.. bought one and it fitted perfect.

At the petrol station the guy says if I were you I'd get the connection for the yellow bottle gas..it's buthane and does same job just burns at slightly different temperature.

Sure enough in the weber manual it lists values for buthane and propane so I guess it works with both?

I suppose the main thing if your connection fits and I think that should be obvious then use what you have. Unless the bbq states use one or the other.

Cheers,
    Mick

Tri tip beef.
    Served with crushed roast potatoes (oven).
    Grilled aubergine and courgette.
    Tomato, cucumber and green salad.
    Spicy, chimmichurry type dressing/salsa for the beef.
    It was very good!
    EiyZajQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

It's a little confusing to be honest. We bought our Weber on Friday and the garden center didn't have any gas left..just pop into the petrol station they said and get some propane..make sure it's propane..so queue the drive into the local petrol station to ask for propane...none available and none anywhere he says..can't be got...mild panic sets in as I've a gas bbq with no gas...drive past the local centra and they have two flogas propane cans outside.. bought one and it fitted perfect.

At the petrol station the guy says if I were you I'd get the connection for the yellow bottle gas..it's buthane and does same job just burns at slightly different temperature.

Sure enough in the weber manual it lists values for buthane and propane so I guess it works with both?

I suppose the main thing if your connection fits and I think that should be obvious then use what you have. Unless the bbq states use one or the other.

Cheers,
    Mick

Had issue getting patio gas and was advised to get butane regulator and gas which I bought. Then on the way home, got a cylinder of patio gas so butane will be returned later this week.

One of the main gas suppliers beside me said their regular cylinder delivery from flowgas said they had no patio gas deliveries at all.

Trying beer can chicken today. Bought the Weber poultry roaster. On medium heat will check temps after 1 hour 15.

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/accessories/cooking/racks-and-roasters/6731.html?cgid=2034#start=1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Has anyone made pizza on their gas barbecue? We just picked up a second-hand 6-burner this weekend, and I reckon I'll try it. Planning to order a pizza stone and peel to go with it. Would I be right in thinking I get it as hot as possible, then cook indirectly with the lid down?

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Has anyone made pizza on their gas barbecue? We just picked up a second-hand 6-burner this weekend, and I reckon I'll try it. Planning to order a pizza stone and peel to go with it. Would I be right in thinking I get it as hot as possible, then cook indirectly with the lid down?

I'd say it's more a case of turn everything on full blast and cooking with lid down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yup. Turning halfway. Works great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Tri tip beef.
    Served with crushed roast potatoes (oven).

Where did you pick up the Tri tip ?

foodaholic wrote: »
    Where did you pick up the Tri tip ?

O Mahony's, English market, Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I bought one of the granite slabbs from woodies and tried pizza, it worked well but took a long time to heat the stone up as its 40mm thick. I think a proper pizza stone would be better than what i did

An hour twenty on medium heat.. 90 with meat probe probably over done

IMG-20200601-163305.jpg

Still all ate and lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

No need for a pizza stone using my Weber Q 2200.

- I made my own pizza dough using Jamie Oliver's recipe (essentially plain white flour, tepid water, olive oil and dried yeast) - made enough dough for 4-5 10" pizzas.

- Rolled out my pizza base, coated one side in olive oil (with optional garlic flavoring).

- Then onto the hot BBQ for 5 minutes to cook one side (move it around after 2 minutes to cook it evenly).

- Oil the uncooked side, flip it over, add your tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni (you can saute onions, mushrooms, peppers, etc. in advance if you want for more options) on the pre-toasted top side.

- Back on the BBQ for another 5-6 minutes until the bottom side is cooked and your top ingredients are done.

Can't believe how well it turned out.

This guy has some great videos on Youtube (should work using any gas BBQ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pIX--ceX8

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Has anyone tried one of these gadgets, the Grillbot...

https://donaghybros.ie/grillbot-gbu102-automatic-barbecue-grill-cleaning-robot-black.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialcpc&utm_campaign=ie-viewed-product-3-days

Reviews online seem to say they are good but it doesn't quite get into every small bit of a grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

I recently purchased a Weber e310 BBQ and find it great. It has the GBS grates which can fit the various accessories etc.
    I was going to get the Weber poultry roaster but it's quite expensive for what it is.

Wondering if anyone has experience of using another brand or type of roaster that is easier on the pocket ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Has anyone tried one of these gadgets, the Grillbot...

https://donaghybros.ie/grillbot-gbu102-automatic-barbecue-grill-cleaning-robot-black.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialcpc&utm_campaign=ie-viewed-product-3-days

Reviews online seem to say they are good but it doesn't quite get into every small bit of a grill.

Save yourself €100 and just buy a wire brush. Absolutely no difference.

Advertisement