Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from Stephens green to Inchicore

Options
  • 02-06-2020 11:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Doable?

5 km according to google maps, easy distance.

Just feasible routes and not getting ran over etc - I understand Dublin is no Miami so not expecting reckless drivers but, not experienced with this route.

Any comments?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Very doable. First thought I'd have would be head for the canal and then stick to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Doable?

5 km according to google maps, easy distance.

Just feasible routes and not getting ran over etc - I understand Dublin is no Miami so not expecting reckless drivers but, not experienced with this route.

Any comments?

Yeah, super simple - head south from SSG, down Earlsfort Terrace, down Harcourt Terrace, and then onto the Grand Canal cycle route. Follow the canal to Suir Road, back onto the canal path, then head to wherever in Inchicore you’re going.

There are more direct routes (via Cork Street) but to me this is likely to be the most safe, and just generally the most pleasant (the canal is a lovely cycle) route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ssg, Glovers Alley, Noel Purcell Walk, Longford st, Golden Lane, Bull Alley, Hannover Lane, Spittalfields, Carmans Hall, Pimlico, MArrowbone lane, James' Walk, SCR, Bulfin road

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Hannover Lane
    I've never noticed this lane. Thanks for the heads up. These little filtered routes are a lifesaver when cycling with the kids.
    MJohnston wrote: »
    Follow the canal to Suir Road, back onto the canal path, then head to wherever in Inchicore you’re going.
    Is the Grand Canal navigable by bicycle and off road from this point? That might open up some new routes for us.

Is this path safe to cycle?
    https://goo.gl/maps/bHVoE2ewUPbyTfmDA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Yes it's fine - I walk it regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I've never noticed this lane. Thanks for the heads up. These little filtered routes are a lifesaver when cycling with the kids.

Is the Grand Canal navigable by bicycle and off road from this point? That might open up some new routes for us.

There were a couple of very serious assaults further west (i.e. along the canal west of the Naas Road). Davitt Road invites close passes so I would keep going on the SCR in the direction of Kilmainham and then left on to Emmet Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Heading out of the city, yes - there are paths both sides of the Canal that are shared use with pedestrians, but cycling is allowed. Probably best staying on the north side of the canal, because the only footbridge across would require you to carry the bikes up and over.

Advertisement