Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you waste money on games

• 03-06-2020 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I do

The first bad habbit is that I download every thing

The games I've gotten the most out of are the Dark Souls series and bloodborne . I think I've played through DS3 15 times . I've also gotten great value from the witcher 3 and Assassins Creed Odyessy . I played through GOW once but went through it fast . Fallen Order and Uncharted 4 both once and fast . Other games I've downloaded but can't get into are Red Dead 2. Vampyre . Shadow of war etc. I downloaded all the batman games again because there was a deal going. I just can't get back into them having completed them once . I have days gone too . Picked it up because it was cheap. Is there anything on my list I should try and preserve with ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I have wasted money in the past, but Game Pass/Ultimate has really changed the equation for me, savage value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

CatInABox wrote: »
    I have wasted money in the past, but Game Pass/Ultimate has really changed the equation for me, savage value.

Is that just a PC thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

About 4000+ retro games

1000+ games in steam library

515142.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Is that just a PC thing

Xbxo thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

100% I do, ever since getting into gaming. I had a huge collection for the PS One, Dreamcast and GameCube. That's continued into what I currently have.

Steam - 240+ items
    PS4 - 150+ items
    PS3 - 70+ items
    Vita - 40+ items
    XBox 360 - 30+ items

It's just all too easy to buy a game because it's cheap on the cex site or there's a deal on Steam or the PS Store. Thankfully I haven't used my PC to game in years so haven't bought anything from Steam in a long time.

I'll admit it's a problem. I'm kinda a hoarder and I haven't played the majority of them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Depends on a number of factors for each individual but for myself, I won't spend anything over 20 euro on a game anymore. I've a long list of games I'd like to play but will only pick them up when they're on sale and if I'm not preoccupied with something else. I don't see the need to buy a game just because it's on sale, as it will always come back down eventually. I no longer feel obliged to pick up games at launch either as I'm happy enough to avoid spoilers and discussion following release. I buy all digitally now as I like the idea of always having the game but can understand when people buy physical, complete and trade back in.

I get good value out of PS+ as I get it for ~€45 and although I don't play online I feel the "free" games cover my outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

No but I waste money buying my son games,!!!!!!!!
    Joking, he's in his PS 4 chatting away , down time for him, dies a lot if sports, and studies good, so a game every now n then is a treat for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Apart from my PS+ subscription that I’ve had for a few years and never use, I’ve cut down massively. Mainly down to the fact that I’ve very little time to play now. It now means I’m very selective in what I buy. Saying that, I probably have enough games in my various accounts to keep me going for the next few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

I always research games nowadays before I buy since they require such large time commitments.I have failed with Division 2 and Destiny 2,expansions are to expensive and a year old at this stage. Planning on picking up Cyberpunk and the new Assassins creed Valhalla. Have looked at buying Assassins creed odyssey and ESO now but just have no motivation for either.Playing red dead online atm and ranking up each role but its kind of boring tbh.

69.99 is a criminal price for a brand new PS4

Sony and Microsoft hate that game stop can sell the game at almost that price in trade ins and pocket 100% of the profit but surely if the cared that much they could sell digital games at a kinder price to the consumed. 49.99 for a digital game should be doable for them. If smiths can make some sort of profit off the last of us 2 for 54.99 then surely Sony and Microsoft could sell digital copies for 49.99. Does it all just come down to meanness and being hungry?

• Advertisement

I always research games nowadays before I buy since they require such large time commitments.I have failed with Division 2 and Destiny 2,expansions are to expensive and a year old at this stage. Planning on picking up Cyberpunk and the new Assassins creed Valhalla. Have looked at buying Assassins creed odyssey and ESO now but just have no motivation for either.Playing red dead online atm and ranking up each role but its kind of boring tbh.

I'll def be getting AC Vallhalla. Cyberpunk was one of my most looked forward to games but when I heard it was first person perspective that all changed . Elden Ring is the big one for me . Can't wait for it

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I'll def be getting AC Vallhalla. Cyberpunk was one of my most looked forward to games but when I heard it was first person perspective that all changed . Elden Ring is the big one for me . Can't wait for it

I imagine someone will create a 3rd person camera mod for cyberpunk on pc.
    I doubt Elden ring will release this year.Hopefully im wrong.Also Assassins creed with she season pass, the gold edition is 100 Euro.Think will have to visit cd keys for that edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Waste? No.
    Get value for money? Generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

I wait for sales anymore. save a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I used to be. Price didn't matter as long as I had it, I'd forego something else. But now I see the prices are crazy and I find it hard to justify buying games at the rate I used to (on release). 10 years ago, if The Outer Worlds had come out, I would have bought it on release. I still haven't bought it (played a bit on Games Pass, but my PC needs a new graphics card so didn't do much).

So yeah, i'm becoming a bit more frugal, but I think I've also replaced day 1 purchasing with 'Oh it's on sale' purchasing and end up probably spending more and playing less! I can see in the future that you won't buy games outright, but rather have 15 different dev subs and everything is released on them.

Wonder how that would work actually, if each dev had their own subscription service and all games they release come out via that only. Prices would want to be cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Gameshare with a good mate on xbox save a fortune. Hoping to carry this through to xbox series X

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

yup buy games play em once and move on.

This is just Steam

https://steamdb.info/calculator/76561197970367071/?cc=eu

Account Value
    3465€ — 11458€

Gog, Epic,Uplay, Blizzthing, Origin, Xbox, RSI,R* :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

I’ve become very picky. Cannot justify €70 on something that is not a sure fire winner. Of the upcoming games, only Last of Us 2 will be a guaranteed purchase. PS+ keeps me interested while waiting for the next big hitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I used to, when I played console only - would pay full whack for a new release, play it through within a couple weeks then trade it in for peanuts. This year I moved to gaming on PC only, and I will only buy games on sale or use cheap keys [completely legit] - There's always freebies knocking about too and I use XBL gamepass for PC only [signed up for €1 and it's just 3.99 p.m there on]

Recently I have gotten The Witcher III, GTA V, Borderlands bundle, Forza H4, The Outer worlds, Trovor saves the universe, Metro Exodus, Just cause 4, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 6, Civ 6, Amnesia, Gears Tactics and a bunch of other games like Over cooked, Descenders, Stranger things [for my daughter] and I've spent less than €50 - some of these I don't actually own, more like renting on XBL, but they are games I'd probably never buy either way. I spent €15 on TW3 and that takes up most of my game time atm. So i would say definitey not, I feel I'm getting excellent value these days, I used to spend that much or more on just one game for console and often it really felt not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I take the occasional punt but mostly "I try before I buy" wink wink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I budget €15 a month to video games and I usually don't touch it every month so it builds up. Right now it's a little over €200. I usually buy things on sale long after launch. The last big game purchase that I didn't wait on was €45 for Tekken 7 and the next one will probably be €60 Cyberpunk 2077 assuming it gets good reports on protondb. That's 3 years apart in release dates.

After I built my PC I think I did probably spend too much for the first year or so but it's really calmed down now since I have a big steam/gog library + tons of free games to play.

I was playing Mad Max for free for a while off of a steam family shared library but the owner was actually starting to play their library more so I was getting kicked out of the game here and there. Not a big deal just play something else right? Well I found the game on sale somewhere for €3 so I snatched that. Safe to say it's a cheap hobby and my budget tells me I waste more money on takeouts or being lazy shopping at places close to me rather than cheap supermarkets. So I have zero guilt or issues with my game spending :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I kind of just ignore the whole hype train consumerism day one purchasing on inflated prices thang, have done for a long while now. There are far too many games for me to get through, so the big must play games don't get purchased until they're on sale.

The only allowances i make for day one purchases are the likes of Dark souls, id be far too tempted for the next installment of whatever Hidetaka Miyazaki is involved in, plus from software just deserve every penny to be honest.

I'd also make exception if i can get a game for a bargain on release, like half the standard price or less or if its short and i know i can finish it fast and resell it for little loss or sometimes even profit :pac: Or if its a multiplayer game i know ill like and play for at least a few months..

I save a fortune and i can go at my own pace, and play whatever im in the mood for playing. It's a much better system i have going for myself really.. And its actually fairly rare that i play a game i get on sale and think it would have been worth the full price. The only one that springs to mind is God of war.

In saying all that, i have also acquired quite the back log of bargain purchases the last year or two that ill unfortunately never get through unless it strikes the mood.

I think i have grown fairly jaded of big open world games though, i fear my recent purchase of days gone is doomed for the dust collecting, they are just massive time sinks and they all end up feeling the same.. Like days gone is just the spawn of TLOU and Assassins creed i found in the short go i gave it, so im finding it hard to dive back in... The recent Tarkov wipe aint helping it tbh.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭nullObjects

You should spend money on experiences instead of material things, a game is both :)
    (As is a motorbike!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,200 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Never used to as I always bought physical copies, but between physical stores like Xtravision/HMV closing and getting much better internet, started almost completely downloading. Now I have a bunch of games downloaded that I haven't touched or barely played yet.

Trying to be better now though. Normally I would have been all over the idea of Mortal Kombat DLC, particularly for story mode. Couldn't justify the price of it though, not as someone who bought the game and kombat pack on release, so I just watched the story mode cinematics on Youtube.

I don't mind paying full price for a game if it's worth it. I was going to buy Sekiro when it was on sale in April, but missed it. Decided to take the punt on it anyway and paid full price. It's now on sale again again as part of the PSN Days of Play thing, but it doesn't bother me. Even though it was a gamble and didn't know if I'd like it, it's worth full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yup, so I'm actually just forcing myself to just play what I have, and have subbed to PSNow for something different. I'm finding that I'm not really enjoying gaming at the moment though - I find myself just replaying games that I loved - Zelda: OoT on the 3DS, and Last of Us on the PS4 - I quit COD: WW2, Evil Within 2, and a few others after less than an hour playing out of sheer boredom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I normally pick up 1\2 games at Christmas time as a present for myself - other than that I'd only ever buy a "tentpole" game release - like a GTA\RDR or LOU

Aside from that, I have PS Now and find that this keeps me occupied throughout the year. There are a few games on that allow me play online without having a PS + account which is great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Xbxo thing.
    Isn't it both?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I don't consider any game I buy a waste of money as long as I get some value out of it. I compare a games value loosely to a cinema ticket (8 euro =2hrs) so If I pay 50e for a game as long as I get over 6hours entertainment then I am reasonably happy. Steam sales are a pain in the backside, I have 5 or 6 games that I have never even played sat there waiting to be downloaded.

Its the DLC & Premium (pay to win) that I am finding wasteful, World of Tanks premium tanks for example can cost up to 100e and not that great normally but I am a sucker for these (I have most). I dont even play much anymore but I will still buy a new tank when it comes out.

I am also finding train simulator quite a stress relief at the moment for a change of pace but again I have started chasing new trains and tracks DLC and easily paid 150e for these addons and I have another 200e worth in my wishlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

krissovo wrote: »
    I don't consider any game I buy a waste of money as long as I get some value out of it. I compare a games value loosely to a cinema ticket (8 euro =2hrs) so If I pay 50e for a game as long as I get over 6hours entertainment then I am reasonably happy. Steam sales are a pain in the backside, I have 5 or 6 games that I have never even played sat there waiting to be downloaded.

Its the DLC & Premium (pay to win) that I am finding wasteful, World of Tanks premium tanks for example can cost up to 100e and not that great normally but I am a sucker for these (I have most). I dont even play much anymore but I will still buy a new tank when it comes out.

I am also finding train simulator quite a stress relief at the moment for a change of pace but again I have started chasing new trains and tracks DLC and easily paid 150e for these addons and I have another 200e worth in my wishlist.

I used to do that ie €1 = 1 hour, kinda stopped. I have moments where I refuse to buy a new game until i at least finish one from my backlog but that kinda stops too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement