Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SEGA Game Gear Micro

• 03-06-2020 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

Sega have announced the Game Gear Micro.
    EZjzaH3XQAEc3Vp?format=jpg&name=900x900

Sega Reveals the Game Gear Micro!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cInr_8WjAJ4

I was kind of right. I thought it might be the Game Gear 2.

The Game Gear Micro will cost ¥4,980 (~€41/$46). It’ll be available in four colors: original black, along with blue, yellow, red. The console will go on sale in Japan on 10th June, there's no word yet on Europe or any other region.

Edit: There's more information coming very shortly. But I have to agree with nearly everyone's initial reaction. This thing is ridiculously small. "Game Gear. Now in suppository form. Don't like it? You can shove it up your @R$€;!"

https://60th.sega.com/ggmicro/

"Game Gear Micro" promotion video(Japanese)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZJD0VZQzK1s
    Google Translate: In addition, as a privilege to purchase "Game Gear Micro" in 4 colors at the same time, a "Big Window Micro", which is a micro size of the optional unit "Big Window" that allows you to enlarge the screen by using a convex lens, will be presented!
    EZjyqKdUMAEaeAb?format=jpg&name=small

71mommaz7OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    "Game Gear Micro" Specifications

Body: Width about 80mm x Height about 43mm x Depth about 20mm
    Screen: 1.15 inches
    Power supply: 2 AAA batteries, USB cable
    Output: Headphone terminal
    Software Development: M2
    4 color variations,
    4 masterpiece games for each
    As for the main body color, four types of black, blue, yellow and red are available as at the time. Each has four built-in masterpiece games of the time. As with Megadora Mini, it also has an interrupt save function, so you may be able to see the ending of that game that could not be cleared at that time?

https://books.rakuten.co.jp/event/game/game-gear-micro/index-sp.html

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's pretty awesome and the game gear is an amazing machine. A few games on it like sonic though are better on master system.

Depends on the games though. Hoping to see the shinobi games and maybe the shining force games although one of those was never translated.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,004 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's pretty awesome and the game gear is an amazing machine. A few games on it like sonic though are better on master system.

Depends on the games though. Hoping to see the shinobi games and maybe the shining force games although one of those was never translated.

at that size.... it ain't awesome. Games will hardly matter, the ergonomics of it are practically unusable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is *very* small but even more than that I think each variant having different games is a bit of a nonsense. Having to buy four pieces of hardware to play the games is wasteful as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

€160 for 16 games on a 1" screen? Gtfo....nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sega once more decide to forgo an easy product win and opt to create some more awful e-waste ****e.

The only way this could be worse, is if they gave it the battery eating hunger of the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The trend has been to make the re-issue consoles smaller... but when it comes to consoles that are ALREADY small it seems ridiculous.

Just make it the same size as the original ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Inviere wrote: »
    €160 for 16 games on a 1" screen? Gtfo....nonsense.

Isn't it €40ish?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I presumed there's be a rake if games in each one. That is disappointing.

Also it's 3 hour battery life on 2 AAA batteries. Not exactly that great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Isn't it €40ish?

4 games per device x 4 I think? (Each colour has a different set of 4 games)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

4 games per device x 4 I think? (Each colour has a different set of 4 games)

Oh, I didn't realise that. Well that's ridiculous.

I want one of these because I had a Game Gear back in the day and these are cute. :)

Might turn it into a fridge magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

On the JP Amazon, there's a magnifying screen that goes over the whole unit :D

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61HEp4ZmZDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

mrcheez wrote: »
    The trend has been to make the re-issue consoles smaller... but when it comes to consoles that are ALREADY small it seems ridiculous.

Just make it the same size as the original ffs

You ever held a Game Gear? It was not "small" by any stretch of the imagination :D

But...yeah...there was a lot of buzz about the 60th Anniversary, and with the spat of vids featuring Segata Sanshiros son and the last of which he threw Segata Sanshiro in the actual planet Saturn:

had my hopes up for a Saturn Mini style console.

Hope this isnt all we will be getting :(

marcbrophy wrote: »
    On the JP Amazon, there's a magnifying screen that goes over the whole unit :D

Will there be a TV Tuner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Probably, along with a camera add-on :D

I found a 5th, translucent one too :eek:

https://ebten.jp/upload/save_image/98/2_52298_500x500.jpg

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    You ever held a Game Gear? It was not "small" by any stretch of the imagination :D

I did and yes certainly it could be trimmed down a bit, but not to the extent where it becomes painful to hold for anyone who is old enough to remember the original and has adult hands.

Not to mention eye strain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wanted that so f*cking much....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I know of at least one group who can't wait to spend their money gold on these.
    ea06ff892cdf231dc1925e54d570ebb2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well I was excited for that for about 4 seconds! Being able to play them seems secondary, they look to be more so people collect and display them. Shame, a reissued game gear with 20 odd games and a rechargable battery would have definitely made the list.

I guess the wait for the Analogue Pocket continues!

• Advertisement

This really needed to be the Sega Nomad II. Imagine, a modern, first party handheld which had classics from consoles like:

Sega MasterSystem
    Sega GameGear
    Sega MegaDrive
    Sega MegaCD
    Sega 32X

...all with a good quality modern display, quality dpad & buttons, M2 designed user interface, the ability to use hdmi-out & play as a console with wireless controllers...etc etc.

This really needed to be the Sega Nomad II. Imagine, a modern, first party handheld which had classics from consoles like:

Sega MasterSystem
    Sega GameGear
    Sega MegaDrive
    Sega MegaCD
    Sega 32X

...all with a good quality modern display, quality dpad & buttons, M2 designed user interface, the ability to use hdmi-out & play as a console with wireless controllers...etc etc.

I'll waiting for that analogue pocket notification....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I think the design choice is more due to the fact that this is being built by the Sega Toy Company alongside M2 handling the porting of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah it's clearly a novelty / toy rather than a serious gaming device. I'd buy one, I wouldn't buy the set though.

I'll waiting for that analogue pocket notification....

The analogue pocket is a nifty looking thing, but none of those systems have any issues when it comes to emulation these days (particularly with Sega owning M2)...so the FPGA base is something that only pushes the price up needlessly when considering 8 & 16bit machines on a handheld. I'd have quicker bought a first party Sega handheld than an fpga solution.

The analogue pocket is a nifty looking thing, but none of those systems have any issues when it comes to emulation these days (particularly with Sega owning M2)...so the FPGA base is something that only pushes the price up needlessly when considering 8 & 16bit machines on a handheld. I'd have quicker bought a first party Sega handheld than an fpga solution.

Those systems run well but doubt they run that accurately.

Also and most importantly to me the analogue pocket looks like a gorgeous bit of handheld kit with an amazing screen. Having all those handheld games on one gorgeous system is what I'm mostly excited about. And 200 dollars is a very good price for that. FPGA just means that having cycle accurate emulation is a guaranteed bonus.

To me this looks like Xmas stocking fodder!

Or a Secret Santa if you work in a particularly lucrative company :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just... pointless.

Not particularly environmentally conscious to be trying to sell four identical bits of plastic tat just to get different games.

• Advertisement

Those systems run well but doubt they run that accurately.

Well & accurate enough that you'd be seriously hard pressed to tell the difference between emulation & fpga side by side for the systems above (blastem for MegaDrive is cycle accurate, Genesis Plus GX is classed as having 'very high' accuracy for the other systems). You might notice in terms of latency, but if the hardware is decent enough, emulation has ways to negate input latency (see RetroArch runahead).

Agreed re the overall quality of the product, Analogue products have a great feel/finish to them though....but you're paying premium pricing for it.

Advertisement