Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I run a business and am not happy after reading how his employees are treated, the papa johns pizza are the only things i would eat from supermacs because the rest of their food is disgusting but i will never eat from there again.
    Any decent person wouldn't be. You can have a business without being a miserly scab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Well, I am a co-owner of a business and we don't treat our staff like that. We provide them with protective footwear that they must wear and some branded clothing that they may wear if they wish.
    We pay well above minimum wage for unskilled labour. We regularly pay staff for days they haven't worked during quiet spells.
    I, pretty much always, let my staff go home early (productivity dependant). We regularly gift them stock and we sell to them at heavily discounted rates.
    We treat our staff well, they work hard and there is great mutual respect and affection.

We are a growing, successful business.

Charging your staff for ppe is scummy.
    Charging them retail is beyond scummy.

I know you are probably trolling but anyway......

I'm going to put this down to simple naïvety. Often you can look at things through rose tinted glasses when you're starting out in business. Probably some kind of craft product as well. The world I work in is much more hard nosed. It's dog eat dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm going to put this down to simple naïvety. Often you can look at things through rose tinted glasses when you're starting out in business. Probably some kind of craft product as well. The world I work in is much more hard nosed. It's dog eat dog.

It's not naivety, it's decency.
    We are over 5 years old now.
    Yes, we would be considered, "craft". Have you any idea how competitive and cutthroat the booze industry is? I have no doubt that many of our competitors do not treat staff as well.
    Also, so called, craft producers are in competition with multinationals - it's not all warm and fluffy.

So, good try, but none of what you said sticks.

If I had to treat my staff the way you treat yours, I'd consider my business unviable and I'd get out.

Decency and success are not mutually exclusive, despite what you think.
    Your treatment of your staff is disgusting.

Well, I am a co-owner of a business and we don't treat our staff like that. We provide them with protective footwear that they must wear and some branded clothing that they may wear if they wish. Of course we don't charge them for these.
    We pay well above minimum wage for unskilled labour. We regularly pay staff for days they haven't worked during quiet spells.
    I, pretty much always, let my staff go home early (productivity dependant). We regularly gift them stock and we sell to them at heavily discounted rates.
    We treat our staff well, they work hard and there is great mutual respect and affection.

We are a growing, successful business.

Charging your staff for ppe is scummy.
    Charging them retail is beyond scummy.

I know you are probably trolling but anyway......
    Is it legal? it is scummy, good entry for the Macdonagh awards. You can be a basically decent person with respect for staff and still have a business. People like Macdonagh do not even respect anyone let alone staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

The people getting worked up about this clearly aren't business owners. Lots of employees who know how to run a business but strangely haven't decided to do so themselves...strange that .

I run a building supply store. Not like I'd be giving out a free box of nails at the end of everyone's shift. Seems like Pat is actually being generous by giving the food away for half price.

By law I have to provide safety boots and PPE to the lads working on the floor. Yes I do take the cost out of their wages. And yes I take the retail price of the goods...one less pair of boots for me to sell. If they don't like it, they can take a hike.

For the record supermacs is delicious. I might just stop by the drivethru on the way home and treat myself to a 5 Oz. I might even quip to the fella serving me "cheer up young lad, I hear you get these half price" hahaha

Except for those that don't eat it, right? And you can say "gway out of that it's common practice," all you want, but some people who work there wouldn't eat the food, but will still be charged only half price by generous Pat. It's miserly. What else should I expect from an ardent FG supporter, however?

• Advertisement

Pedro K wrote: »
    Except for those that don't eat it, right? And you can say "gway out of that it's common practice," all you want, but some people who work there wouldn't eat the food, but will still be charged only half price by generous Pat. It's miserly. What else should I expect from an ardent FG supporter, however?
    Course he'd be popular with the farmers too as he supplement their euro welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I asked the housemate why they don't pay overtime. She said that if they got paid the wages would come directly out of Pat Mac personal account. Crazy.

I've worked in a couple food outlets over the years and none have ever charged for staff food - one was a chain and one was a high end restaurant that was run by a horrible skinflint who paid peanuts but even he didn't charge staff for food.

Pedro K wrote: »

Cool the jets. My choice of political party has nothing to do with it. We have a differing opinion on this, no need to get worked up about it.

I think it's inevitable that food workers will take food as they work. A lot seem to be students and probably delighted to get a decent meal for half the price I'd say.

YFlyer wrote: »
    I asked the housemate why they don't pay overtime. She said that if they got paid the wages would come directly out of Pat Mac personal account. Crazy.

Yeah, no offence but not sure if someone flipping burgers is the best person to ask about the financial decisions of a large corporate entity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

All this talk, pages of it. I wonder who is gonna vote with their wallets and not buy from supermacs anymore.

Spoiler: a very small percentage of you dispute what you may say ;)

callaway92 wrote: »
    50 cent out of their hourly wage is taken for food. Whatever they get in the restaurant then, Supermacs double it.

EG you have worked 4x hours of 50c each = €2. They can get €4 worth of food/drink

She said there is no record of food reductions on her pay slip. Perhaps all stores have different policies.

All this talk, pages of it. I wonder who is gonna vote with their wallets and not buy from supermacs anymore.

Spoiler: a very small percentage of you dispute what you may say ;)

I won't. Don't have a car.

Yeah, no offence but not sure if someone flipping burgers is the best person to ask about the financial decisions of a large corporate entity.

True.

She could have been spun a yarn by her boss. I did give her a look of disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A lad I know is a clamper in the city and he saw a Merc parked one day parked on a double yellow so he clamped it just as McDonaghs wife was coming out, he's a sound lad and if someone has a genuine excuse he won't do them but he figured she could well afford the cost of getting the clamp removed.

McDonagh is a shrewd businessman but no way would I work for him,

A lad I know is a clamper in the city and he saw a Merc parked one day parked on a double yellow so he clamped it just as McDonaghs wife was coming out, he's a sound lad and if someone has a genuine excuse he won't do them but he figured she could well afford the cost of getting the clamp removed.

McDonagh is a shrewd businessman but no way would I work for him,

Cool story

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Cool story

Thanks bro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Cool the jets. My choice of political party has nothing to do with it. We have a differing opinion on this, no need to get worked up about it.

I think it's inevitable that food workers will take food as they work. A lot seem to be students and probably delighted to get a decent meal for half the price I'd say.
    My jets are well and truly cool. Your choice of political party absolutely has something to do with it. It's no coincidence that two of the most vociferous defenders of McDonagh in this thread, you and Maryanne, are both FG supporters.

You can think it's an inevitability all you want, but there will be workers who don't take the supermacs food for a variety of reasons. It is wrong to charge them for it.

Image what your life must be like if your hero's are:
    1. An extremely wealthy fast food merchant who pays their staff a pittance and appears to have no respect for them.
    2. An obese, dead alcoholic.

Pintman, I pity you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’m not so sure everyone will be so in favour of the notion of part time workers getting 350 eurons a week when it comes to paying for it all back. You know the increased income taxes,USC, raised pension age, increased VAT, stealth charges etc.

The balancing the books part of the story that the money grows on trees folks don’t seem to be able to get their heads around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Ush1 wrote: »
    Where are you seeing a 12 inch with 5 toppings in dominoes for 11 euro? In the app it's 11.5 inch and with 5 toppings it's 18 euro.

Hmm. They seem to have gotten rid of the deal option they used to have where you built your own 4 or 5 topping pizza and gave it a name, and the pizza would be 30 percent cheaper than if you ordered it on the standard menu.

My local one also doesn't do free delivery any more. More reasons not to go back. Bleedin rip off rates now.

I’m not so sure everyone will be so in favour of the notion of part time workers getting 350 eurons a week when it comes to paying for it all back. You know the increased income taxes,USC, raised pension age, increased VAT, stealth charges etc.

The balancing the books part of the story that the money grows on trees folks don’t seem to be able to get their heads around.

I'm not sure anyone here would disagree with the gist of what you are saying.

People have a problem with a multi millionaire describing it as "like winning the lotto".
    Particularly when said multi millionaire notoriously treats his staff in a skinflint manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

By law I have to provide safety boots and PPE to the lads working on the floor. Yes I do take the cost out of their wages.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/Personal_Protective_Equipment_-_PPE/PPE_-FAQs/Personal_Protective_Equipment_FAQ_Responses.html

Section 8 of the Safety Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 places a duty on employers to supply PPE where risks cannot be eliminated or adequately controlled.

Employers cannot pass on to employees any financial costs associated with duties relating to safety, health and welfare at work. An employer may not ask for money to be paid to them by an employee for the provision of PPE whether returnable (e.g. a deposit) or otherwise.

Image what your life must be like if your hero's are:
    1. An extremely wealthy fast food merchant who pays their staff a pittance and appears to have no respect for them.
    2. An obese, dead alcoholic.

Pintman, I pity you.

Hahaha... No need to feel sorry for me bucko. Never said Pat was a hero. Just can see where he is coming from on this issue.

Great that you treat your employees like adopted children but that's fine when you have 6 hippies brewing beer in a shed. When you scale things up the kumbaya stuff doesn't work as well.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/Personal_Protective_Equipment_-_PPE/PPE_-FAQs/Personal_Protective_Equipment_FAQ_Responses.html

Section 8 of the Safety Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 places a duty on employers to supply PPE where risks cannot be eliminated or adequately controlled.

Employers cannot pass on to employees any financial costs associated with duties relating to safety, health and welfare at work. An employer may not ask for money to be paid to them by an employee for the provision of PPE whether returnable (e.g. a deposit) or otherwise.

Not when it's part of a work uniform, rather than based on a risk assessment requirement.

Been through that argument many times before and have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not when it's part of a work uniform, rather than based on a risk assessment requirement.

Been through that argument many times before and have won.

By God you're a starved fcuker. Fighting over a 30 quid pair of boots.

Great that you treat your employees like adopted children but that's fine when you have 6 hippies brewing beer in a shed. When you scale things up the kumbaya stuff doesn't work as well.

You clearly know nothing about my business.
    Why do you keep assuming things?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What sort of business are you running pgj?

I work for myself so that I don't have to work for miserable bosses like mcdonagh.

You clearly know nothing about my business.
    Why do you keep assuming things?

Apologies. I was getting a bit ratty at the potshots people are taking at me.

I have no idea what you do but you said it's a craft product, you mentioned the drinks industry and your name has beer in it. I'm no Sherlock Holmes but I guessed you're a craft beer brewer but I'm obviously wrong.

Either way, your approach to business is very different to mine. I've been in this game a long time. Been through 2 recessions and facing in to a third now... I've survived them all... In no small part to my "skinflint" attitude. Count the pennies and the pounds will mind themself. That's my motto. It works. Employees come and go but my business is still standing.

• Advertisement

Fair play for researching it. I had an idea that was the situation.

Advertisement