Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

In every country the cost of living is dictated by what the level of pay is given to workers who perform in jobs with basic or low skills providing g us with goods (keelings) and services (supermacs).
    We could set the minimum wage at €20 per hour, but the same workers would still be paid poorly relative to people with professional qualifications and trades.
    The cost of goods and services would rocket as those who provide said goods and services would all be getting paid €20 p/h. So any extra income earned would go be swallowed up and you're back to square one. The cost of living is the enemy of the low paid worker.

That's not true at all. It could only be true if the cost of labour were the total cost of a business and thus the increase in pay mapped to an increase in costs negating the pay increase for lower workers.

In countries that have tired this, and Australia is an example of a country with a very strong minimum wage law, the prices increases are fairly minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In every country the cost of living is dictated by what the level of pay is given to workers who perform in jobs with basic or low skills providing g us with goods (keelings) and services (supermacs).
    We could set the minimum wage at €20 per hour, but the same workers would still be paid poorly relative to people with professional qualifications and trades.
    The cost of goods and services would rocket as those who provide said goods and services would all be getting paid €20 p/h. So any extra income earned would go be swallowed up and you're back to square one. The cost of living is the enemy of the low paid worker.

Unless you want a communist society, there will always be workers who will be paid at the lowest level, doing jobs that will be commensurate to their skills and qualifications.

This is nonsense in the context of the thread. Scabby Pat is charging his employees for food even if they dont want to eat it and money for uniforms. He is personally worth 130 million euro, if he just did as his competitors like McDonalds do and paid for the uniform and a bite to eat for the staff he might only be worth 129.5 million. The cost of living would not be rocketing if Pat stopped being scabby, instead his vast wealth would take a minor and insignificant dip.

As to how that treating employees in a fair manner is going to lead to communism I dont know. As the previous poster said Australia has exceptionally strong minimum wage laws and they havent ended up as communists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

He's not the first to pull this kind of **** and he wont be the last. As for the practise of charging for uniforms, the law is clear. Employees can claim tax back for the cost of uniforms; I get uniforms issued to me yet still get Eu 140 a year from the taxman because I take it home and clean it. I don't even have to apply for it because, as a tradesman, it's automatic if a uniform is involved in the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Stovepipe wrote: »
    He's not the first to pull this kind of **** and he wont be the last. As for the practise of charging for uniforms, the law is clear. Employees can claim tax back for the cost of uniforms; I get uniforms issued to me yet still get Eu 140 a year from the taxman because I take it home and clean it. I don't even have to apply for it because, as a tradesman, it's automatic if a uniform is involved in the job.

A company making millions owned by multi millionaire charging staff to wear crap uniform have to go claiming back tax ??
    Shame on the man . All he’s short of is a whip to make the staff flip burgers quicker ?? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

YFlyer wrote: »
    I was just talking to my new housemate. She works in Supermacs. She doesn't get paid extra for any overtime work. She got caught out doing some overtime so her boss is allowing her to work less days next week.

As far is she is aware they're not charged for the food and they can get up to €11 a day.

The uniform is approximately €75 and they pay over a 7 to 8 week period.

On a full week she says she is getting less than €350. I didn't press her on the details.

50 cent out of their hourly wage is taken for food. Whatever they get in the restaurant then, Supermacs double it.

EG you have worked 4x hours of 50c each = €2. They can get €4 worth of food/drink

• Advertisement

LuasSimon wrote: »
    A company making millions owned by multi millionaire charging staff to wear crap uniform have to go claiming back tax ??
    Shame on the man . All he’s short of is a whip to make the staff flip burgers quicker ?? ...

They don’t have to work there if they’re not happy with the terms and conditions.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about business owners being successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They don’t have to work there if they’re not happy with the terms and conditions.

Some people don't have a choice where/what they want to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

They’ve found ways of cutting the minimum wage. There really needs to be tighter regulation, there’s always a fcker like this who will chance his arm.

I was fond of a 5oz bacon and cheese from time to time, but having read about McDonagh's practices and efforts to screw his workers, fúck that miserly cúnt and anything he has to sell.

Some people don't have a choice where/what they want to work.

Really? Everyone has a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Except they don't. That's just silly. There are any number of reasons why somebody might have to stay in a job they hate. Be it geography, finances, personal circumstances, lack of jobs elsewhere (our economy might be doing well, but that's largely in Dublin. The likes of Roscommon town isn't gonna have a glut of jobs to move to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I would have always taken the food and thrown it in the bin if I didn't fancy it that day. nothing worse than a tight miserable boss.

The only thing I would eat in supermacs is the pizza and thats not even made by them, the pizza they had before papa johns was disgusting.

I'm baffled as to who buys Papa Johns. Like it's nice enough but it is utterly unaffordable. I've just opened Just Eat there- a 3 topping 10 inch pizza for 15 QUID. 12 inch for 18 euro, 14 inch for 22 euro.

That is absolutely insane. You can get a 5 topping 12 inch from Dominos for 11 quid off the top of my head. I think Apache is similar. Chippers can be as low as 8.50 for 2 toppings.

A 22 euro pizza, add in the delivery charge of probably 2 quid to 2.50, then the Just Eat fee of whatever it is (50 cent? Never actually use JE unless I've a coupon they're a rip off).

The bones of 26 euro for a delivered pizza. How are they in business at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A lot of the time you take what you can get.

1.3 million jackeens can't be wrong

A mere 10 **** kicker outlets opened to date in the capital

They closed one at Coolock retail park not too long ago. A strange location for one in any case, there's another branch a 3 minute drive up the road at the Clonshaugh Circle K. They must have thought the abundance of halting sites nearby would keep them in business, travellers love a Supermacs.

Homelander wrote: »
    I worked in a Supermac's when I was younger, never had to pay for uniforms or food and no-one cared what you ate within reason. Many's the day lunch was easily €10-12 worth of food.

Worth 10- 12 sale price maybe.

What would be the purchase cost of 2 beef patties, bread, cheese, a dab of sauce and onion, box of chips, soft drink to the company? 50 cent? Less?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

Worth 10- 12 sale price maybe.

What would be the purchase cost of 2 beef patties, bread, cheese, a dab of sauce and onion, box of chips, soft drink to the company? 50 cent? Less?

Well....obviously? how else do you grade the cost of anything other than its retail price. :confused:

If I worked in a shoe shop and got a pair of Nike Jordans for nothing I would consider them a nice €120 bonus as that's what they cost in our free market.

I wouldn't say "welll achktually, they only cost €10 to make in China"

My point was that when I worked there in the franchise I did, there was no rules in place about food, no deductions for it, or for uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You can be a successful business owner without being an absolute miserable git.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You can be a successful business owner without being an absolute miserable git.

This.
    It's not a case of either or.
    Lots of businesses treat their staff well and with respect and are highly successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Always thought Supermacs were a decent crowd until this came out. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/locals-express-shock-at-supermac-s-campaign-revelations-1.3606801?mode=amp

Their approach to planning is not good, but charging low paid workers for food they don’t want to but is at least as disgraceful.
    Hope we hear a lot more of Pat McDonagh in the media in the future and I hope every journalist asks him has he stopped charging staff for food they don’t want as of yet and will he provide them with uniforms without charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

As a dub I'm probably the odd one out but I love a supermacs every now and then, I'd rate it over BK, KFC and Micky D's, I've been craving one since lockdown begun, was about to get one the other night and all this came up, can't see myself giving them much support with all this nonsense going on nowadays and will probably keep my business with the local chipper... (ran by a crowd of really nice Moldovans)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

I like their chips and fish but I won't be buying them anymore. Certainly better than BK. Always found that place dirty. KFC portion of chips is an insult. Just discovered what Micky D's is. Not very clean either in my experience. Any of them do not clean the trays properly between meals. They are usually given a lick and a promise and come back half wet. I wonder will covid change that.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/locals-express-shock-at-supermac-s-campaign-revelations-1.3606801?mode=amp is the guy who complains about compensation fraud. Isn't that planning fraud? He got a easy time from all the so called journalists giving impression all claims are fake.

That man in Cork, Dino?, sound worth supporting. I am sure his press yesterday had a large amount of pr behind it but he is decent to the staff

McDonagh is a scabby miser charging for meals people don't eat and charging for uniforms. It is a miserable attitude for someone of his wealth.

The only problem with people refusing to buy supermacs is the staff may lose the only jobs they have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The people getting worked up about this clearly aren't business owners. Lots of employees who know how to run a business but strangely haven't decided to do so themselves...strange that .

I run a building supply store. Not like I'd be giving out a free box of nails at the end of everyone's shift. Seems like Pat is actually being generous by giving the food away for half price.

By law I have to provide safety boots and PPE to the lads working on the floor. Yes I do take the cost out of their wages. And yes I take the retail price of the goods...one less pair of boots for me to sell. If they don't like it, they can take a hike.

For the record supermacs is delicious. I might just stop by the drivethru on the way home and treat myself to a 5 Oz. I might even quip to the fella serving me "cheer up young lad, I hear you get these half price" hahaha

The people getting worked up about this clearly aren't business owners. Lots of employees who know how to run a business but strangely haven't decided to do so themselves...strange that .

I run a building supply store. Not like I'd be giving out a free box of nails at the end of everyone's shift. Seems like Pat is actually being generous by giving the food away for half price.

By law I have to provide safety boots and PPE to the lads working on the floor. Yes I do take the cost out of their wages. And yes I take the retail price of the goods...one less pair of boots for me to sell. If they don't like it, they can take a hike.

For the record supermacs is delicious. I might just stop by the drivethru on the way home and treat myself to a 5 Oz. I might even quip to the fella serving me "cheer up young lad, I hear you get these half price" hahaha
    Charging half price to people who do not eat it. Would you pay half price for the safety boots and then leave them in the shop or what if the shop invoice your for boots you did not buy. Half price of course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I run a business and am not happy after reading how his employees are treated, the papa johns pizza are the only things i would eat from supermacs because the rest of their food is disgusting but i will never eat from there again.

Charging half price to people who do not eat it. Would you pay half price for the safety boots and then leave them in the shop or what if the shop invoice your for boots you did not buy. Half price of course

Go way out of that. They 100% eat the food. It's common practice for restaurant workers to eat the food where they work. I often see people in spar etc queuing up to pay for their food before going on a lunch break. 50% discount is generous by any measure.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I run a business and am not happy after reading how his employees are treated, the papa johns pizza are the only things i would eat from supermacs because the rest of their food is disgusting but i will never eat from there again.

What sort of business are you running pgj?

Slighty OT but i wonder how clean these places are. People preparing burgers touch them don't they.? Do they wash hands afer the toilet. Do they wear gloves. I saw someone in a non fast food restaaurant wiping his nose with gloved hands. They don't actually touch the chips do they

A friend of mine told how he once saw a manager in a fast food, not one named in this thread, use the toilet and go back to the floor without washing his hands.

My friend was washing his hands and the manger came out of the cubicle and went out without washing. Maybe some ex any maccers can say what hygiene is like in these places. I am surprised how people rush back to all the restaurants for takeaways when they do not know the health status of the staff

Is the food at Dinos as nice as it looks? Are they in cork centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm baffled as to who buys Papa Johns. Like it's nice enough but it is utterly unaffordable. I've just opened Just Eat there- a 3 topping 10 inch pizza for 15 QUID. 12 inch for 18 euro, 14 inch for 22 euro.

That is absolutely insane. You can get a 5 topping 12 inch from Dominos for 11 quid off the top of my head. I think Apache is similar. Chippers can be as low as 8.50 for 2 toppings.

A 22 euro pizza, add in the delivery charge of probably 2 quid to 2.50, then the Just Eat fee of whatever it is (50 cent? Never actually use JE unless I've a coupon they're a rip off).

The bones of 26 euro for a delivered pizza. How are they in business at all?

Where are you seeing a 12 inch with 5 toppings in dominoes for 11 euro? In the app it's 11.5 inch and with 5 toppings it's 18 euro.

Go way out of that. They 100% eat the food. It's common practice for restaurant workers to eat the food where they work. I often see people in spar etc queuing up to pay for their food before going on a lunch break. 50% discount is generous by any measure.
    How do you know? You visit all the supermacs every day to check. Because its common does not mean it always happens

This is about supermacs not spar etc. How can what people do in spar etc matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, I am a co-owner of a business and we don't treat our staff like that. We provide them with protective footwear that they must wear and some branded clothing that they may wear if they wish. Of course we don't charge them for these.
    We pay well above minimum wage for unskilled labour. We regularly pay staff for days they haven't worked during quiet spells.
    I, pretty much always, let my staff go home early (productivity dependant). We regularly gift them stock and we sell to them at heavily discounted rates.
    We treat our staff well, they work hard and there is great mutual respect and affection.

We are a growing, successful business.

Charging your staff for ppe is scummy.
    Charging them retail is beyond scummy.

I know you are probably trolling but anyway......

Advertisement