Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant access to 5000 newspapers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Cant even log in now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

JTMan wrote: »
    Seems that the Irish Independent is no longer available in the Irish version of the library app. However, it is available if you use a VPN from any other country.

Can you access the irish times aswell with the vpn and what county did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Seems that the Irish Independent is no longer available in the Irish version of the library app. However, it is available if you use a VPN from any other country.

Only noticed that myself this morning, thought it might be a glitch but sounds more like something permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭McHonda

Still not available on VPN for me through the App. Are you using the libraries Ireland account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just set up a press reader account there through our Irish library and can access the Irish times and independent using a VPN set to the U.K.

To add, we had to log out and back in on one of our devices before it picked up the VPN change.

• Advertisement

Sarn wrote: »
    Just set up a press reader account there through our Irish library and can access the Irish times and independent using a VPN set to the U.K.

To add, we had to log out and back in on one of our devices before it picked up the VPN change.

yeah i used speedify and logged out and in and have them now, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Hola Chrome extension under UK works perfect and free too.

Just sat down to read the independent over lunch and see it’s gone. Why is this happening does anyone know?

Works with vpn for me but this will be a pain for my parents who use it all the time. Why does it work from Uk with an Irish library log in but not from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why is this happening does anyone know?

INM are simply protecting paywall revenues.
    Why does it work from Uk with an Irish library log in but not from Ireland?

INM are more concerned about paywall revenues in Ireland than abroad.

14 quid a week is a bit steep, the times is a tenner I think

• Advertisement

I had assumed they are getting paid for being available to library’s but maybe I’m wrong.

It’s easy to get around anyway, will just have to get my vpn account working my parents devices and show them how to turn it on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

There’s a mobile version of most Irish and UK papers. My mates buddy passes them onto him via WhatsApp and he forwards them on to me. I’m glad to get them but don’t want to rock the boat by asking him how he gets them.
    Anyone know how to get them??

sweetie wrote: »
    14 quid a week is a bit steep, the times is a tenner I think

Independent is 2.50 EUR per week. Irish Times is 3 EUR per week.
    I had assumed they are getting paid for being available to library’s but maybe I’m wrong.

They are being paid but clearly not enough to offset lost paywall revenues.
    normanbond wrote: »
    There’s a mobile version of most Irish and UK papers. My mates buddy passes them onto him via WhatsApp and he forwards them on to me. I’m glad to get them but don’t want to rock the boat by asking him how he gets them.
    Anyone know how to get them??

Are you taking about ePapers. The library website has ePapers of some UK publications. Most UK publications will offer their subscribers an ePaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Working fine for me, without VPN, yesterday and today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Mine is working now. Was not working yesterday or earlier this morning. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

just tried there and Indo not there. I didn't know the Irish Times is available?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

just tried there and Indo not there. I didn't know the Irish Times is available?
    It wasn't... that's odd!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I just checked (using the press reader website) - I can't see either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Indo back for me. Never had the Times.

yep indo here too, times only through a vpn

• Advertisement

Nope, still nothing. I wonder would it depend on what browser I'm using...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Mine is working now. Was not working yesterday or earlier this morning. Happy days.

I should add, I don’t have a vpn and never saw the times on it even in the past.

Indo back for me in the app with vpn off now too, not sure about browser as not logged in on browser on this device.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭go4it

if i use the website on the first page of this thread, with the 'default' full of zero's login number : Indo is gone now ; Times wasn't available from ireland , but could be viewed from 'abroad' (vpn )

if i use pressreader.com and my library number - Indo is there ; Times is there only from 'abroad'

@offtopic: students get free Times subs through Times student hub

That worked like a charm (even using the 9000000 number), thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Indo back for me in the app with vpn off now too, not sure about browser as not logged in on browser on this device.

hi whats name of this App ???

Can anyone see the Sindo there today? It is not there for me even when I use a VPN.

Edit: Found it - You have to search for the title now rather than clicking on Ireland.

torrevieja wrote: »
    hi whats name of this App ???

PressReader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Can anyone see the Sindo there today? It is not there for me even when I use a VPN.

Edit: Found it - You have to search for the title now rather than clicking on Ireland.
    The only Sunday Independent I can find is a South African title. What exactly did you use in your search?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭bromley52

I was using Wexford libraries but I noticed that Cork libraries are available for selection so I can use my own library number. Perhaps other libraries are available.

Advertisement