Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A lockdown time trial idea - Fishing for interest

• 31-05-2020 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

I've had an idea for a TT/Challenge for a while, thought recently that it's a good time for it with nothing much else going on. Posted it in the random questions thread and a couple of fine folk said they liked it, so I figured I'd start a thread and throw it out there.

The basic idea is simple, a progression time trial. You've to run each kilometre faster than the previous one. As soon as you run an equal or slower km, game over.

So you run 11 progressively faster kms and the 12th one is 3 secs slower, your race is over and your score is 11km.

We could have a leaderboard table which also includes moving time. So someone who runs 8 progressive kms in 43 minutes ranks higher than someone who runs 8km in 44mins. Or maybe a range field showing your first and last km, the tighter that range the higher you rank.

Could have it as an ongoing thing, run it whenever you want and update the table, not narrowed down to a specific date.

Would be a cracking workout, while also a bit of craic.

I personally think metric works better for this, but open to correction.

Also wide open to tweaks and ideas.

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Nice idea C, like ya said would definitely add an extra element to an otherwise mundane progression run!

Would we have to sign up to an honour system to avoid taking the proverbial and starting at a pace way below our normal easy pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Nice idea C, like ya said would definitely add an extra element to an otherwise mundane progression run!

Would we have to sign up to an honour system to avoid taking the proverbial and starting at a pace way below our normal easy pace?

Cheers J, yeah I think a gentleman's gentlewoman's agreement not to act the monkey.

Kinda the reason for the range field in the table too, incentivising people to go fairly hard at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

So you could technically start out very slow, walking pace, and slowly build up? If you start super slow and pace it right you could do half a marathon before you start to jog at all. The winner of this could be paced by a toddler for the first km and complete 50km in 9 or 10 hours.

Maybe put a limit of 21km / half on it to stop it going on forever?

Edit: the above replies didn't show until after I posted.

Dudda wrote: »
    So you could technically start out very slow, walking pace, and slowly build up? If you start super slow and pace it right you could do half a marathon before you start to jog at all. The winner of this could be paced by a toddler for the first km and complete 50km in 9 or 10 hours.

Technically you could do that, but I doubt most would.

For instance, if I set out at a ridiculous pace, I'd be doing so knowing there's a fair few boardsies who would look at it and know I was taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Dudda wrote: »

Between the 5k and the mile TT times posted already you could already set a minimum allowed start pace based on those. Might be a few people who posted no times in those that would need to be assigned a minimum pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I think we’ve found our next organiser for a TT, good man C!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    I think we’ve found our next organiser for a TT, good man C!!!

lol

Which do you think is best, a specific date or just randomly doing it whenever anyone wants and updating an ongoing table?

I kinda like the latter, but easy either way.

Lazare wrote: »
    lol

Which do you think is best, a specific date or just randomly doing it whenever anyone wants and updating an ongoing table?

I kinda like the latter, but easy either way.

Think a specific date works best C, few rules you deem fit for the TT yourself also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I think that the idea is good but needs refinement. As a basic format, untweaked, it could have people running massive distances. Healy did a 15 miler recently without a bother. With watches now it's not that hard to increase paces by only a couple of seconds a mile/km. It would probably just replace people's long runs rather than the race day kinda feel some people got with the shorter TTs..

Maybe ban the use of pace guides? I know you'd be depending on people playing ball but generally people do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I think whatever the next one becomes it should be a specific date. It really has a race day feel.

I like the idea of thinking outside the box and not just running a normal race distance. Some people could manage marathon distance without some refinement to the rules. Not that I'm clever enough to suggest any ideas there. Fair play for stepping up C. Just don't get bogged down in too many opinions. We'll support regardless.

Cheers P. Yeah, you're right, the race day feel is the buzz.

Let's see if there's enough interest in the concept of it and take it from there.

Ears 100% open to ways of refining it.

What about setting a specific distance, as C says measure it off kilometres. Each one has to be progressively faster than the last, if it isn’t your out of the race. Each participants starting pace is there easy pace measured off either there 5k TT or 1 mile TT?

What about setting a specific distance, as C says measure it off kilometres. Each one has to be progressively faster than the last, if it isn’t your out of the race. Each participants starting pace is there easy pace measured off either there 5k TT or 1 mile TT?

I like it but it would eliminate the predictions element of if though.

OOnegative wrote:

I like the idea of capping the distance. Then it becomes a case of how do you measure 1st, 2nd 3rd etc etc?

Lazare wrote:
    I like it but it would eliminate the predictions element of if though.

I think the predictions are not so important. The main thing is finding a metric for measuring the "winners".

What sort of number would you be thinking of as the cap?

Winners of each category could be the fastest final km.

Lazare wrote:

Hmm. I'm going against my mantra of telling you to not take too many opinions on board. Haha. Personally I'd cap it at 21k
    Lazare wrote:

Hmm not a bad idea. I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You could group it by starting pace so you have a 6 min/km group, a 5.30 group, 5 group etc and maybe make it 10 seconds quicker each km that way it won't take that long?

I'm also racking my brain trying to come up with some sort of way of levelling the field, giving everyone a shot at winning.

Some way of scoring things so that potentially somebody starting at 6:50km can rank higher than someone starting at 5:50km.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

8km/5miles as a cap? Winners of each category who make it that far measured on fastest time & for this one I think P is right, prediction not needed. Numbers may dwindle with this one possibly.

jimmii wrote: »
    You could group it by starting pace so you have a 6 min/km group, a 5.30 group, 5 group etc and maybe make it 10 seconds quicker each km that way it won't take that long?

Very good. Really like the 10 second idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Very good. Really like the 10 second idea.

Yeah speeds it up a good bit. For most people if they start at a realistic pace it's going to start getting tough post 10k!

I think its needs to be relatively simple so as many people as possible get involved. If there were 4 or 5 groups you could say someone could only enter two groups max so you don't have a couple of people dominating them all.

8km/5miles as a cap? Winners of each category who make it that far measured on fastest time & for this one I think P is right, prediction not needed. Numbers may dwindle with this one possibly.

This I think is the big risk...along with a way of actually ranking 'results'.....

skyblue46 wrote:
    This I think is the big risk...along with a way of actually ranking 'results'.....

I'm not sure I'd worry about dwindling numbers. It's not up to C to match previous TT's. These provide a focus for people in a time where we have no races. To me this concept would fit well into people's general training.

In terms of the ranking is it not just a case of using the same age categories against fastest last km?

I never really intended for it to be TT #3 tbh, in case people had ideas for what that might be. A new poll maybe.

My thoughts were for it to be just an ongoing thread with a table that people randomly updated.

Don't mind either way obv, but hope people don't think I'm just bulldozing into the next TT.

I'm not sure I'd worry about dwindling numbers. It's not up to C to match previous TT's. These provide a focus for people in a time where we have no races. To me this concept would fit well into people's general training.

In terms of the ranking is it not just a case of using the same age categories against fastest last km?

So the challenge is to speed up as required but by as little as you can so that you can save as much as possible for a sprint finish?

Lazare wrote:
    Don't mind either way obv, but hope people don't think I'm just bulldozing into the next TT.

We need people to bulldoze. Haha. Otherwise we'll hit a standstill.

So if this becomes more of a long term thing (in parallel with a new TT) then that would also work. I'd be up for it

skyblue46 wrote:
    So the challenge is to speed up as required but by as little as you can so that you can save as much as possible for a sprint finish?

Haha well when you put it like that!

I think the concept needs refinement but the general idea is good imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I think it's a great idea, but to cap the distance allowed would be a terrible idea IMHO. You're meant to get faster and faster and be limited by how fast you can go on tired legs. If you already know how man km you will go right from the start, half of the challenge and fun is gone.

If you really want additional rules, giving a certain range for the first k pace would be much better. Easy pace according to TT might work, for the ones who did one of the TTs at least. Keep in mind, the fewer rules the better.

Advertisement