Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermacs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

McDonagh has not been slow to talk to the media over the years. . I hope every time he is interviewed in future he’ll be asked if he has stopped imposing a mandatory charge on staff for food they may not want to consume and if he still charges them for uniforms they are required to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Garlic cheese chips are decent in there but everything else is manky.

meh their garlic and cheese chips are an exercise in Pat McDonoghs scabby portion control. It comes in one of those tiny white plastic trays which barely fit 20 max 25 chips, then has a blob of garlic sauce and barely 10 or 15 grams of that stringy cheddar cheese. By the time you're half way through it there is no garlic or cheese left. For 4 euro its a bit of a joke really.

I do like their 5oz burgers but a meal is more or less a tenner so if spending that you're much better off going to somewhere like Bunsen or Wowburger who serve a far quality of meat. Supermacs and McDonalds is all aged dairy cows you're eating, same stuff is used in dog food. At least in Bunsen you're getting proper cuts of beef from cows that were reared for beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭TheDavester

YFlyer wrote: »
    I was just talking to my new housemate. She works in Supermacs. She doesn't get paid extra for any overtime work. She got caught out doing some overtime so her boss is allowing her to work less days next week.

As far is she is aware they're not charged for the food and they can get up to €11 a day.

The uniform is approximately €75 and they pay over a 7 to 8 week period.

On a full week she says she is getting less than €350. I didn't press her on the details.

Do Versace make the uniforms???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was just talking to my new housemate. She works in Supermacs. She doesn't get paid extra for any overtime work. She got caught out doing some overtime so her boss is allowing her to work less days next week.

As far is she is aware they're not charged for the food and they can get up to €11 a day.

On a full week she says she is getting less than €350. I didn't press her on the details.

Charging staff for uniform is a joke and it's just for the shirt right? Provide your own slacks probably as well. The neck of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Do Versace make the uniforms???

Hugo Boss more like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Homelander wrote: »
    Where does the flaccid, steaming and microwave come into it? :confused:

They are most assuredly deep fried as they should be, and the buns are toasted in a machine like any fast food place.

And they are proper full chicken breasts that are flattened, seasoned and coated, as well.

I've had these a couple of times when stuck and they most certainly were microwaved to serve. Bread all steamy and floppy. No question about it.

Ehh sorry now but Is this supermacs you are talking about or where?

They certainly do not microwave the chicken breast - deepfried.

Resulting in succulent juicy chicken breast surrounded by a crisp seasoned batter.

This is then paired with fresh iceberg green lettuce, the sauce and the toasted buns.

I watch them like a hawk while the cooking process is taking place and can vouch for that.

Twice in Cork City, once in Heuston.
    Perhaps it's an off peak thing or is staff dependent but there is no question that it was microwaved. I saw the guy taking it out of the microwave on one occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

I've had these a couple of times when stuck and they most certainly were microwaved to serve. Bread all steamy and floppy. No question about it.

As someone who's a) worked in Supermacs for years and b) only ever gets the Chicken Breast Sandwich when I eat there, not once have I ever encountered that scenario and it wouldn't even make sense - why would they need to microwave something?

I think you're probably confusing steam from a fairly fresh/wrapped sandwich making the bread soft, with microwaving.

Obviously if you put a very hot fillet, with a freshly toasted bun, and wrap it, the steam from the heat will make the bun soft. There's no way around this when you're serving fast food that's wrapped in plastic/paper wrapping, especially at busy times when the food genuinely is fresher.

The fact that you actually "saw" someone on one occasion just to validate the opinion makes it even less believable.

They're deep fried regularly and stored in a hot bin, buns are toasted fresh in a toaster when needed. There is literally no scenario where they'd ever have to microwave it or that it would make sense.

I guess you never know, once off illogical practices do happen in any chain - but seemingly they microwave it every time just when you happen to be purchasing? I really don't think so.

Homelander wrote: »
    As someone who's a) worked in Supermacs for years and b) only ever gets the Chicken Breast Sandwich when I eat there, not once have I ever encountered that scenario and it wouldn't even make sense - why would they need to microwave something?

I think you're probably confusing steam from a fairly fresh/wrapped sandwich making the bread soft, with microwaving.

Obviously if you put a very hot fillet, with a freshly toasted bun, and wrap it, the steam from the heat will make the bun soft. There's no way around this when you're serving fast food that's wrapped in plastic/paper wrapping, especially at busy times when the food genuinely is fresher.

The fact that you actually "saw" someone on one occasion just to validate the opinion makes it even less believable.

They're deep fried regularly and stored in a hot bin, buns are toasted fresh in a toaster when needed. There is literally no scenario where they'd ever have to microwave it or that it would make sense.

I guess you never know, once off illogical practices do happen in any chain - but seemingly they microwave it every time just when you happen to be purchasing? I really don't think so.

Yes, I made it all up to seem cool.

Why in fcuks name would I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Charging staff for uniform is a joke and it's just for the shirt right? Provide your own slacks probably as well. The neck of them.

She mentioned about paying for shoes as well. Which is part of the €75.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Yamanoto wrote: »
    They're like the culinary wing of the GAA.

Nothing wrong with the GAA either, far less corrupt and better run than the FAI. And I am not involved in either. It's just food, it is either good or not, compared to the sludge that most fast food joints serve, in the two times I was in Supermacs it held its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Well less than 350 is either good or bad depending on the hours,of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yes, I made it all up to seem cool.

Why in fcuks name would I do that?

Only you can answer that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Muahahaha wrote: »
    meh their garlic and cheese chips are an exercise in Pat McDonoghs scabby portion control. It comes in one of those tiny white plastic trays which barely fit 20 max 25 chips, then has a blob of garlic sauce and barely 10 or 15 grams of that stringy cheddar cheese. By the time you're half way through it there is no garlic or cheese left. For 4 euro its a bit of a joke really.

I do like their 5oz burgers but a meal is more or less a tenner so if spending that you're much better off going to somewhere like Bunsen or Wowburger who serve a far quality of meat. Supermacs and McDonalds is all aged dairy cows you're eating, same stuff is used in dog food. At least in Bunsen you're getting proper cuts of beef from cows that were reared for beef.

I’d murder a 7oz right now. And a side of chicken tenders, what’s your opinion on those

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Twice in Cork City, once in Heuston.
    Perhaps it's an off peak thing or is staff dependent but there is no question that it was microwaved. I saw the guy taking it out of the microwave on one occasion.

I’m sceptical but you say you saw them taking it out of the microwave to serve to you ...

If that happened me I would ask them to re do it the proper way or else give a full refund

I’m sceptical but you say you saw them taking it out of the microwave to serve to you ...

If that happened me I would ask them to re do it the proper way or else give a full refund

Well, I didn't know how it was supposed to be prepared. Outlet was very quiet at the time - I was the only customer.
    Couple of points.
    1. I know food and cooking and I know when food has been microwaved. You can tell by the way the heat is distributed and by what it does to bread or pastry.
    2. I saw, with my own eyes, the staff member take it out of the microwaves.

It may well be that this is not the proper method but it is 100% what happened in the Cork City outlet. It was lava hot and all floppy and horrible.

I shall not explain further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

FVP3 wrote: »
    Well less than 350 is either good or bad depending on the hours,of course.

30 something hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

"Are ye goin' ta Schhhmacc's?"

The bogtrotter battle-cry after midnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Worst food I've ever had the misfortune of buying.....

I would never ever darken their doors again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5484372/cork-fast-food-king-dennis-cregan-supermacs/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=irishsunfacebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1590825536

Dino‘s advice for anyone in a similar business as him is: “Treat your staff with respect, look after them in their times of need and you will be rewarded with loyalty”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭pgj2015

McDonagh has no cop on, going to the media bitching about his employees, what has he to gain by doing so? he is becoming like the Micheal O Leary of fast food, a tight-fisted miser who no one likes. anyone who has ever worked for someone knows that if you treat your staff well, they will work hard for you, treat them like dirt and they will do as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Spoken like a true jackeen who wouldn’t know taste if it kicked him in his diamond bejazzled ballsack :rolleyes:

Are you serious? Supermacs is absolutely disgusting. Yes I'm a Dub the fact you defend them shows maybe Dubs have a finer taste for food

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

1.3 million jackeens can't be wrong

A mere 10 **** kicker outlets opened to date in the capital

I always say the one at the spawell is there to give culchies one last taste as they leave civilisation and head back to their mud huts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Are you serious? Supermacs is absolutely disgusting. Yes I'm a Dub the fact you defend them shows maybe Dubs have a finer taste for food

I doubt the county that gave the world the “spice burger” can claim any kind of gastronomic superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I always describe myself as half-Dublin and half-Galway (city) in terms of where I grew up (parents separated and divorced etc). I’m amongst the few people who’ve spent a good deal of time in Galway and who loathe Shuper-macs. For context though, I haven’t eaten in Shuper-macs or McDonalds etc since the 90s, and have no desire to visit such a place again. I’m not their target market for sure, but it really is horrible. The only reason I’d go there when younger was the “last chance saloon” element of the Eyre Square branch or for people watching, socializing, watching the fights etc. etc. Never for the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I doubt the county that gave the world the “spice burger” can claim any kind of gastronomic superiority.

And coddle. A ‘stew’ made with potatoes and boiled sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Coddle sounds it would be a nickname for someone from Dublin, or some sort of “inner city” juvenile disease from a lack of exposure to fresh air and vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You're going to go full Trump if you ever discover Cassoulet.

Sausage and BEANS based stew.

I’ve been working in various jobs for the past 45 years. I’ve found that companies with a canteen charged for a meal, so why not fast food outlets.
    Many companies charge for uniforms, mainly because some new employees decide that they don’t want to work there and leave with the uniform, at a cost to the company.

• Advertisement

I’ve been working in various jobs for the past 45 years. I’ve found that companies with a canteen charged for a meal, so why not fast food outlets.
    Many companies charge for uniforms, mainly because some new employees decide that they don’t want to work there and leave with the uniform, at a cost to the company.

The canteen in these companies exist purely to feed the employees and are usually subsidised.
    Imagine being charged for food in the work canteen even if you didn't eat there?

Yes, many companies charge for uniforms. They are also miserable cnuts.

Advertisement