Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

12 acres. Tree plan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I have now expanded beyond the trees and have seeded about 2.5 acres in wildflower seeds. Was alot of work and expense preparing the ground and will be some work on the first summer but hopefully it will look amazing for summer '21.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Have a smallholding of 12 acres. 350 metres high and half would be damp soggy ground. Plan is to plant alder on the boundaries and groups of 3/5 alders dotted around the fields.
    On a small bit of land which I guessed was used to dump the rocks from the fields I plan on planting Rowan with some Birch.

On the better ground a few groups of Scots pines dotted around.

Probably a crab apple or two by the old homestead.

There is a laneway to the old homestead but not sure what to plant there.

Sounds like a plan? Anything else I should consider?

Laneway to homestead. One spruce down.
    1dyivd.jpg
    I've been following this with great interest. After dipping my toe in the water by self-planting native deciduous (mixture of willow, alder, Scots' Pine, hazel, holly, birch, hawthorn, rowan) in two winter plantings over the past 2 years I decided to "go big" and extend to 2.5 Hectares. During the digging the existing old drains running straight down the mountain trisecting my land got damaged and blocked by the 'mounding'.

"How wet is wet" when it comes to trees? The site is on a steep south-facing elevation (attempts to upload pic unsuccessful). The land is now a sticky mudbath with many little streamlets. Do I now get in a mini-digger to re-instate the old drains before planting?.............or do young trees on sloping land benefit. There is a small stand of Scots' Pine at around this elevation in a neighbours field but any other woodland is on the boggier, flatter valley-floor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

This autumn is wetter than normal. I'd wait and see before moving a digger in and doing more damage, trees will dry up wet ground when they get established.

The photo needs to be under 4kb to upload here. Perhaps upload it on some of the photo hosting sites and download a medium jpeg image. That usually solves the problem for me anyway. Other place to go wrong is in the attachment window you need to scroll all the way over to the right to click upload. Hope this helps.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have now expanded beyond the trees and have seeded about 2.5 acres in wildflower seeds. Was alot of work and expense preparing the ground and will be some work on the first summer but hopefully it will look amazing for summer '21.

That is gonna look class

blue5000 wrote: »
    This autumn is wetter than normal. I'd wait and see before moving a digger in and doing more damage, trees will dry up wet ground when they get established.

The photo needs to be under 4kb to upload here. Perhaps upload it on some of the photo hosting sites and download a medium jpeg image. That usually solves the problem for me anyway. Other place to go wrong is in the attachment window you need to scroll all the way over to the right to click upload. Hope this helps.

Aha! thank you for those tips. Its an MPG image! I'll try again.

• Advertisement

Chisler2 wrote: »
    Aha! thank you for those tips. Its an MPG image! I'll try again.

PictureIMG_0065.JPG

495971.JPG

I clicked on your link
    when it opened in a new window I copied the url at the top
    clicked on edit at the bottom of your post
    Then clicked on the yellow box, second last icon that looks like a mountain
    deleted the http in the box that opened
    pasted in the url of your pic
    Then click on save

I love facebook!

Was doing some research on pruning
    http://www.treeprotectionsupply.com/blog/tree-tube-faq-to-prune-or-not-to-prune/

https://youtu.be/lHnv0AstLK4

Because my trees are in those tubes I have to do some pruning to get the tree and it's leader growing faster out of the tube. So that's my weekend job for a few weeks.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Slow going pruning the trees. Will be at it for a few weekends
    On the plus side managed to sow a wet wildflower meadow. Sorrel, ragged Robin and Marsh marigold.

After 400 odd pruning ( and a couple of finger tips) I understand more. Getting that leader established is important. The alder saplings were the ones that needed the most pruning as they are the most fast growing

I hope your taking plenty of pictures :) will be cool to look back on a few years once it's established

• Advertisement

https://www.agricology.co.uk/resources/pontbren-project

Enjoyable read on uphill farmers and planting trees and hedges. Drainage part is quite interesting as in one year I also have noticed the areas planted are not as wet as the other areas.

Other good articles of you scroll down on benefits of shelter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I love reading this thread.Tell me, is it for the love of trees and creating something that sounds amazing that you are doing it?

I love reading this thread.Tell me, is it for the love of trees and creating something that sounds amazing that you are doing it?

I call it my expensive 'painting'.

I have a picture in my head of this little farmstead in the mountains framed by native trees as if they were always there with subtle groves of Aspen,alder,birch a small oak Forest and a light sprinkle of scots pine. The canvas will be wildflower meadows.

The painting will come to life with the increased biodiversity which it should encourage.

Any sign of deer at your trees?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Any sign of deer at your trees?

Motion camera only picked up 1 deer. Got a great look at it as it sniffed the camera. The tubes protect the trees so not bothered by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Motion camera only picked up 1 deer. Got a great look at it as it sniffed the camera. The tubes protect the trees so not bothered by them.

any way to introduce red squirrels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭victor8600

any way to introduce red squirrels?

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-and-wild-places/saving-species/red-squirrels/habitat-management-red-squirrels

It seems you need to wait 20+ years and then your forest better be surrounded by areas that prevent grey squirrels from coming.

I found a dead Red squirrel on the road approx half a km from my house. There has never been any sighting of them in the area. I contacted an organisation who document red squirrels and they told me they had no records of them being in this area and to put the squirrel in the freezer and someone would call to collect it....and the squirrel has been in the freezer for the last 3/4 years lol

There are definitely no grey squirrels but there are a lot of pine martens

Just about finishing mulching the trees. Hopefully final 9 bags from Woodies. After doing alot of research I figured I needed to mulch them more than I originally did.

This spring/summer will be the first real time the tree tubes will hopefuly prove their their worth.

3 saplings which didn't survive were replaced by a sessile oak. Figured I would give them a go. The robar oak are performing fantastic

Planted an additional 6 Scots pines and replaced those that the rabbits/hares/deers destroyed before I got the mesh guards.

Motion camera now only picking up hares and foxes.

Have a dashcam so will hook it up to my landcruiser and drive around the land. That way each year I can see the progress in video. Will post a link.

Have mulched half of the trees again. Don’t want to think how much I have spent on mulch. Probably should have bought in bulk. Trees are starting to bud.
    Preparing another 6 acres for more wildflowers. First time since August that the ground is dry enough. Supplier has some left over so will be sowing them in the next week.

Current batch of wildflower (6 odd acres) are showing a lot of promise. The coldish winter I figure has stunted grass growth which should help them. Expecting cuckoo flowers to bloom soon.

• Advertisement

Nearly done with the last 6 odd acres for wildflowers. Hoping to seed the last bit of seed before the rain comes on Sunday.

Most of the trees are in tubes except for 20 odd alder. The alder in the tubes are in the majority in leaf but those without tubes are not yet. Tubes paying their way.

Have the list of most of the wildflower seeds sown:

Corofin
    Purple loose strife
    Self heal
    Oxeye
    Stichworth
    Yarrow
    Sorrel
    Plantain
    Lesser knapweed
    Meadow buttercup
    Birds-foot trefoil
    Red clover
    Red barista
    Yellow rattle
    Variety of native grasses

Currently spending an hour or so every evemig taking care of docks. Using a tool I bought from the link below. Seems to work well.

The only joy is that I can see the wildflower seedlings coming up and taking a peep down the tree tubes to see most trees are in leaf.

https://lazydogtools.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Really enjoy reading this thread, very similar interests to my own.

Any pics on the Wildflower meadows?

Would also be interested in your seed supplier, I didn't find a great selection when I planted a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭victor8600

Nearly done with the last 6 odd acres for wildflowers. Hoping to seed the last bit of seed before the rain comes on Sunday.

Could you please tell me (PM if the info is not for the public), where did you get wildflower seeds and how much did you pay per kg or the coverage area?

The best supplier is wildflowers.ie. All native seed. Don’t remember the prices but the site has all the calculations.

Not sure how successful the spring sown seeds will be. I should have used the chain Harrow more to get more of the thatch and the unseasonably dry May may have killed a lot of them off. Think germination is 6 weeks so will know more in the next week.
    The Autumn sown are flying and the dry May may have helped them in slowing the competing grass growth.

The first re-introduced wildflower to flower is the meadow buttercup which now accompanies the cuckoo flowers which were already present.

A great video I watched recently on rewilding. A place called knepp wildland in West Sussex. 45 mins long but I learned a lot.

Enjoy
    https://youtu.be/oQtpk6Gsawc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The best supplier is wildflowers.ie. All native seed. Don’t remember the prices but the site has all the calculations.

Not sure how successful the spring sown seeds will be. I should have used the chain Harrow more to get more of the thatch and the unseasonably dry May may have killed a lot of them off. Think germination is 6 weeks so will know more in the next week.
    The Autumn sown are flying and the dry May may have helped them in slowing the competing grass growth.

A great video I watched recently on rewilding. A place called knepp wildland in West Sussex. 45 mins long but I learned a lot.

Enjoy

Her book is well worth reading.https://www.bookdepository.com/Wilding-Isabella-Tree/9781509805105?redirected=true&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Base1&utm_source=IE&utm_content=Wilding&selectCurrency=EUR&w=AFFPAU96UH5SHDA8VC1X&pdg=pla-293946777986:cmp-9463711619:adg-98687126840:crv-420380901788:pos-:dev-c&gclid=CjwKCAjw8J32BRBCEiwApQEKgbz7HMGy1vy2Y3nf8PZ5-4ml4Zce5GQLu1mW8N7KL5mEYXtHBq_iFRoCs8oQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

The first re-introduced wildflower to flower is the meadow buttercup which now accompanies the cuckoo flowers which were already present.

Enjoy

Really enjoyed the video.
    It's a great view and something for us farmers to aspire to as much as we can.

Is the lack off rain having any impact on your trees?

• Advertisement
Advertisement