Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

How long was Hugh Farrelly working for the Indo?

Conor George was there as well wasn’t he? Before he made an absolute tit of himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Faugheen wrote: »
    Of all the things, the Indo bit in brackets is the most baffling. They are a major sponsor of Munster’s yet you think they have this agenda against them?

But they absolutely do. Going back a few years too, most people I know refuse the bag and the paper when they buy a programme at a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Caranica wrote: »
    But they absolutely do. Going back a few years too, most people I know refuse the bag and the paper when they buy a programme at a match.

Why would they have hired rabid Munster fans as writers if they had some agenda against Munster?

Unless they have an agenda but are also hopelessly incapable of executing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Criticism of Munster sells.

Slavish devotion too. Like, this is the paper that has Cian Tracey and Billy Keane on staff.

Is it possible that they just cover the stories, good and bad, but people only get worked up about the negative?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think typically it comes down to the journalist rather than the paper, tbh. For example, I'd actively avoid articles by Ewan or Cummiskey. That's on all issues, not just Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Slavish devotion too. Like, this is the paper that has Cian Tracey and Billy Keane on staff.

Is it possible that they just cover the stories, good and bad, but people only get worked up about the negative?

I hear you, yet you also have the likes of Cummiskey focusing on Munster's problems re Covid, as if the other provinces aren't in bother also.

Munster in the headline sells, positive or negative I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I guess these articles may be promoted more by media organisation and then picked up on social media. There's a currency in getting clicks and views from people who see articles negatively. Then writers might skew their views to that so guess it feeds off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You'd have to wonder, what is the point of writing news when a desired outcome dictates the story. Fake news?

The attacks on Grobler were disgusting and they've gone after CJ and Kleyn too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think they went after CJ and Kleyn unfairly. The project player rule is an issue for lots of people, me included. 3 years was far too short.

Also Michael Bent got a bit of a doing and he's been Irish qualified his whole life. It just happened that the week he arrived in Ireland was the same week all the other Irish THs were injured.

As for Grobler it did turn into a bit of a feeding frenzy, those things in general do though. You can't be as virtuous in what you say, like what Munster and the IRFU say, on drugs and expect nothing when you hire a guy a served a drugs ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't think they went after CJ and Kleyn unfairly. The project player rule is an issue for lots of people, me included. 3 years was far too short.

Also Michael Bent got a bit of a doing and he's been Irish qualified his whole life. It just happened that the week he arrived in Ireland was the same week all the other Irish THs were injured.

As for Grobler it did turn into a bit of a feeding frenzy, those things in general do though. You can't be as virtuous in what you say, like what Munster and the IRFU say, on drugs and expect nothing when you hire a guy a served a drugs ban.

And yet James Lowe is hailed as the new messiah....it's double standards, anyone saying otherwise is having a laugh

The project player rule exists globally. Unions use it. It's not fair to attack players who play by the rules.

Grobler is on the record as saying the media drove him out of Munster. The Indo and Newstalk were the key bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

The Bindo journalists and sub editors look for click bait due to their model. The requirement is for as many hits as possible to drive as revenue. They want your rage clicks so angle the writing and headlines to match. The problem is that while it may draw attention in the long run it drives customers away.
    As for Cummoski - he's a Leinster fan through and through but because he writes for "the paper of record" we expect/believe/assume be will take a neutral stance. Once you understand that part it easier to see his angle and ignore.
    For example he reckons Munster are in trouble due to the 10 year tickets. Those tickets were sold back in 2017. He mentions that the 100k repayment is a problem yet its merely an accounting reclassification between two parts of the same organisation in financial terms. What is failed to mention in that report is that Leinster have higher season ticket sales, lower capacity and have to rent their ground for all games.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

And yet James Lowe is hailed as the new messiah....it's double standards, anyone saying otherwise is having a laugh

Lowe is a good point but I don't think he's been hailed by as the new messiah. Certainly not by the media anyway. He has been mentioned in in the same bracket as other project players, he just hasn't been the headline. He also hasn't played for Ireland yet.

I don't think there's a double standard as Michael Bent got a pile of heat and he was Irish qualified. Aki was questioned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I always have a wry smile at the D4, anti-Munster media take. Has anyone actually ever checked who has sits/sat on the Munster board?

Leslie Buckley and Dee Forbes are probably names known to a few people...

It's funny, the Munster fans think their project player got a raw deal.

And so do the Connacht fans.

And so do the Ulster fans.

And I'm sure the same articles will be written about Lowe when he qualifies, if he gets a cap. If you think Leinster get an easy ride, Google Michael Bent.

There's no conspiracy, just biased perception of different fans.

For example, there was a 24 page pullout in the Sunday Times last weekend about the European Cup. I'd say probably half of it was about how great Munster 2000 - 2008 were. I didn't see a single mention of it on boards.ie.

Why not?

Because people LOVE the negative articles. They want to show what awesome fans they are by rushing to their club's defence. They want to rally around their player and feel part of things. Fair enough, just human nature. Maybe it helps people feel like their club would do better if only they got a fair shake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Buer wrote: »
    I always have a wry smile at the D4, anti-Munster media take. Has anyone actually ever checked who has sits/sat on the Munster board?

Leslie Buckley and Dee Forbes are probably names known to a few people...

Have you ever listened to the RTE rugby podcasts? Wes Liddy and the boyo's. They would have Munster 1-15 in the Ireland team every week.

You also have a huge media presence from the Munster team of old who are clearly biased. The MoM award with Quinlan is a joke, it has to be a forward and it has to be from Munster.

Papers as well. Cant remember who but was doing review for Sunday paper after Japan game. POM was given MOM. No mention of him giving away penalties and nearly getting a yellow card.

You have to look long and hard for negative Munster articles.

I'd read Cummiskey over Buer.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Have you ever listened to the RTE rugby podcasts? Wes Liddy and the boyo's. They would have Munster 1-15 in the Ireland team every week.

You also have a huge media presence from the Munster team of old who are clearly biased. The MoM award with Quinlan is a joke, it has to be a forward and it has to be from Munster.

Papers as well. Cant remember who but was doing review for Sunday paper after Japan game. POM was given MOM. No mention of him giving away penalties and nearly getting a yellow card.

You have to look long and hard for negative Munster articles.

Who needs to read articles for negativity on Munster when we have you Shef? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Who needs to read articles for negativity on Munster when we have you Shef? :D

Critical, not negative

Slight difference

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I see victimhood isn’t just rooted to one person.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Critical, not negative

Slight difference

Critical of stuff that's true versus critical of stuff that's not true.

Mahoooosive difference.

I don't want to be having a go but you don't do yourself any favours sometimes, Shef. If you held your hands up and admitted when you got something wrong, you might attract less grief around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd read Cummiskey over Buer.

On the scale of hurtful comments, Thomond, that one came dangerously close to actually registering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

I wonder if CJ pissed on a member of the public in the off season would it attract more than a solitary newspaper column? How about Arno Botha knocking out Sean French on a night out, radio silence from Newstalk I’m sure. Of course CJ and Arno wouldn’t go in for that unlike some folks. The media bias is definitely all made up, wry smiles all round.

No mention of him giving away penalties and nearly getting a yellow card.

A flanker NEARLY got a yellow card?? Heaven forbid, somebody please think of the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

rayd3 wrote: »
    I wonder if CJ pissed on a member of the public in the off season would it attract more than a solitary newspaper column? How about Arno Botha knocking out Sean French on a night out, radio silence from Newstalk I’m sure. Of course CJ and Arno wouldn’t go in for that unlike some folks. The media bias is definitely all made up, wry smiles all round.

doug howlett?

Sure werent the munster forwards famed for throwing punches in training before big european games?

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    doug howlett?

Sure werent the munster forwards famed for throwing punches in training before big european games?

Youve had to do some serious mental gymnastics there to ignore most of the comment and come out talking about training bust ups. Fair play. Serious going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    doug howlett?

The car park thing before he came to Munster?That got plenty of coverage. For forwards yeah years ago and if its famous it means it was well known. Hardly comparable to someone getting assaulted on a night out tbf

rayd3 wrote: »

See, if you think the Sean O'Brien incident only got a solitary column, then it's proof that the problem is in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Eod100 wrote: »
    The car park thing before he came to Munster?That got plenty of coverage. For forwards yeah years ago and if its famous it means it was well known. Hardly comparable to someone getting assaulted on a night out tbf

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/howlett-in-drunk-and-disorderly-arrest-after-munster-team-party-26608852.html

Advertisement