Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening any future Restricted Firearm ban

• 29-05-2020 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Having read a few comments recently and really for years on the aul "Ban Scare",

I thought I might share a few thoughts on how to counteract this.

Now I found out very recently that proper cultivation of your local TD did work for the shooting community, "even if he is a blueshirt", well done, TD for Kildare in reversing or staying off a stupid piece of legislation in relation to a pigeon shooting ban.

You can all personally thank Tommy O Brien from Harbour House shooting club if you shoot pigeons in Ireland. That's 6,000 ish of you who need to thank him personally for inviting the TD to the Harbour House Christmas meal and other club social events in the last 5 years.

For taking the time to show all aspects of shooting in a very positive public light to the local elected representative whomever that may be.
    Thanks to Tommy s hard work and very generous use of his time with a number of local elected representatives it has come to fruition. Even though Harbour House as a club itself has nothing to do with Pigeon shooting. The hard work paid off in helping others in a shooting sport not associated with theirs.

There is no unity in shooting in Ireland, there never will be. Too many pretenders want to be king, and we don't like monarchy in Ireland.

So whats the solution, well its simple if one mans efforts can lead to TD s and elected representatives understanding more about shooting.
    Then its up to all of us at some level to make ourselves known on an individual basis to whichever TD in our respective districts whom we as responsible shooters can educate on the benefits.
    Awareness is key.

Every club no matter how small or big, should invite a TD to their club at least once a year, even if only to the annual evening meal. Make a point of not just the invite but if that's not always possible, maybe a new years shoot. (Every rural TD should be doing this)

As for TD's in Dublin, well there are a few great clubs there as well, but choose wisely in the TD you want to make friends with ;-)
    Don't have any pre conceived notions of that. You never know

(But please not a Green) Remember we shouldn't have children under 14 at a shoot even if they are over 40 in actual years
    Always Always and I mean this if you run or own a shooting club of any kind send all the TD's in your electoral district a personalised Christmas card with a big club logo on the front with seasons greetings and a note inside.

Be tasteful with the card and take a picture of the card and post that on your Fb PAGE

Another idea
    Whats the benefit for them in attending, well a charity shoot for the TD's favourite nominated charity. No TD can really say no to money for their charity... and its a chance to press the flesh with the electorate.

This is what needs to happen, stop bitching about new rules and proposals and get yourself and your club aligned to a TD, over a few years it will help.

Remember we are the most law abiding clitzens in the land.. we have to be

So if your building a new part of your range or getting a new trap, get some tape and a scissors and invite your TD along for the grand opening. Inviting the local free press newspaper and putting it on your FB page will also help.

Keep inviting them back and sure when its election time it may pay off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

jb88 wrote: »

You can all personally thank Tommy O Brien from Harbour House shooting club if you shoot pigeons in Ireland. That's 6,000 ish of you who need to thank him personally for inviting the TD to the Harbour House Christmas meal and other club social events in the last 5 years.

Even though Harbour House as a club itself has nothing to do with Pigeon shooting.

We all need thank him personally lol!!!

The reversal of the derogation farce is not down to Tommy o Brien or harbour house !!

As you state yourself harbour house has nothing to do with pigeon shooting.
    Nor was his invitation to TD's to social events in prior years in anyway related to pigeon shooting, it was purely related to his own interests ie harbour house range,... and fair play to him smart move.

There was petitions signed, TD's contacted by individuals, groups, clubs, NARGC , Farmers and their rep bodies...That is what got the reversal, not solely Harbour house as your post would make out so no ...I don't think any pigeon shooter owes him a personal thanks.

Now I have nothing against the man or that range, stood in the place once (fine setup) just your post makes it out as if he single handedly sorted this out!!

The rest of your post is very true though,
    ''There is no unity in shooting in Ireland, there never will be''

we really need to stand together when something shooting related is involved just like this pigeon issue. I haven't shot pigeons in years but I signed the petition and made contact with a local TD, we all should have , and should think ''maybe something I am interested in could be on the agenda next'' and I hope all the community will back my issue then. Same with licensing issues with different styles of firearms, just because you may have no interest in a certain type of firearm or type of shooting shouldn't be a reason for you not to be involved when a certain area comes under pressure.

I also agree that clubs and individuals should contact TD's more often, its what the antis do and they are much better at doing it than we are, we need to be more proactive at local club level with local politicians at promoting the sport in all its forms in a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

There was petitions signed, TD's contacted by individuals, groups, clubs, NARGC , Farmers and their rep bodies...That is what got the reversal,

Especially the farmers reps. I've seen first hand how much influence they wield. They say jump, Minister asks how high?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

1000% on the win hearts and minds bit.

But this was a collective effort on the part of hunters and farmers and veggie growers and others.Some did more,some did less,but everyone brought something to the table,and thats what counts.

Y'know,whats even more ironic about all this is,we have done this before ,twice as gunowners and hunters and sports shooters.This unity thing... Once with a liscense fee hike,the second time with the attempted great gun grab of 2014.
    This is what the Sports Colation was all about,before it became of vested intrests.

Pity ,personality,primma donnaism,Me feiners,kingdom builders,squireienism and egotists always manage to fuk up things in Irish organisations and history.Added to the willingness of an Irishman to turn the spit while another Irishman is being roasted,as Cromwell said about us:rolleyes:

Until we start looking long term and that the needs of the many outweigh the need of the single person in power,we are never going to move forward here in shooting matters or politics.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement