Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thrill on the hill

• 21-05-2020 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

I was watching a couple videos about thrill on the hill on YouTube. . I am curious was it a thing for just people in the Ballybricken vicinity or the city in general? just looking at the videos there seems to be a great sense of community spirit with it. People having the craic. How many years did it go on for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRyR-R5Geek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I remember going as a kid in the mid/late 80s. It was the whole town who went. I also vaguely remember something called the Lark in the Park which was bands playing around the People's Park, but that must have been a few years earlier, maybe 85 :confused:

I think both of them ran for a few years, but no idea whether it was 2 years or 10 years, or somewhere in between!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Nice to see things happen on Ballybricken nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Thrill on the hill might have run into the nineties. I might be imagining it but I could almost swear that Brendan Bowyer played at it one year. And The Stunning another year towards the end.

Lark in the park was more 87ish timeframe. Ran a few years. I remember bands in the bandstand and also paying to take 3 penalty kicks against (I think) the Waterford United Goalkeeper. That would have been 88 or 89 I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lark in the Park was run by Music Moves if I recall, they were a collective who were the nearest thing we ever got to a proper music promotion organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Thrill on the hill might have run into the nineties. I might be imagining it but I could almost swear that Brendan Bowyer played at it one year. And The Stunning another year towards the end.

Lark in the park was more 87ish timeframe. Ran a few years. I remember bands in the bandstand and also paying to take 3 penalty kicks against (I think) the Waterford United Goalkeeper. That would have been 88 or 89 I reckon.

Actually I think you're right, you've just reminded me of a flashback of Achy Breaky Heart being pumped out of the stage on what was probably the last Thrill on the Hill. A quick Google tells me that was released in 1992.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Simple innnocent times on the Hill. Although its only 30 odd years ago it feels like a different planet! People knew how to live, have fun and party. Some changes are not for the better. We were all closer and more respectful back then. These days the town feels more like a collection of individuals. You could count the number of times a stranger would a simple "Hello" on one finger. In truth they are more likely to give you a one fingered greeting instead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/05/29/remembering-the-lark-in-the-park/#.XtFxQ8rTXqs

Before my time as was Thrill on the hill

Growing up in the 90s/00s can remember the outside stages for the sproai. Remember the car park down in Bolton Street on Saturday night used to have the big acts in the 90s and then the plaza got a few the years after. Remembering seeing a group called 'Ladysmith Black Mambazo' one year who I think went to have a decent career afaik

Outside the sproai gigs I remember the Tall Ships gigs. 2005 and 2011 were awesome and by god wouldn't I give to have an outdoor event now

Advertisement