Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options
  • 28-05-2020 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I started a thread in the woodcraft forum about woodworking YouTubers so I said I might start something similar here, As well as the woodworking video's I watch a good few farming ones as well

Main ones are

Farmer Phil

George Saunders

The Funky Farmer

Tom Pemberton Farm Life

Gerry6420

So what Farming Youtubers do you watch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Tractor Ted!! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Big phil fans here as everything is not perfect and also have a bit of an interest in gear.one of sons friend is masseyman so we follow him too .
    more of a winter time occupation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

On a serious note I do like the videos munster bovine put up.

Also the icbf ones with the bulls in the pens.

Martin ryan has good nutritional videos up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Welker farms out in Montana have some good content on there.. I reckon those boys must be geniuses the way they can take yokes apart and do them up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

DukeCaboom wrote: »

Martin ryan has good nutritional videos up.

Any link to his channel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

10th Generation Dairyman is one of my favourites. Subscribed to loads but always watch his as soon as possible. Lovely farm, great facilities and great cows. What sets him apart is how simple he keeps it and how natural he is talking to the camera. No begging for subs or flogging things.

Like the Welkers. Big Buds are possibly the coolest tractors ever made and they have three and a sprayer that looks like one. Really is harsh country where they are, soils and climate not conductive to good yields.

Kip Siegler has a nice channel. Cool setup with all the silos and conveyor feeding system. Another great herd of cows. And some great machinery.

CowfarmerDan is another good channel. English dairy and a lot of tractor work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Gillespy wrote: »
    10th Generation Dairyman is one of my favourites. Subscribed to loads but always watch his as soon as possible. Lovely farm, great facilities and great cows. What sets him apart is how simple he keeps it and how natural he is talking to the camera. No begging for subs or flogging things.

Like the Welkers. Big Buds are possibly the coolest tractors ever made and they have three and a sprayer that looks like one. Really is harsh country where they are, soils and climate not conductive to good yields.

Kip Siegler has a nice channel. Cool setup with all the silos and conveyor feeding system. Another great herd of cows. And some great machinery.

CowfarmerDan is another good channel. English dairy and a lot of tractor work.

Ya I watch CowfarmerDan as well,

Farmer Phil tho is the main man, rooting and tearing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I didn't realise how many farm youtubers I follow until I looked through my subscriptions list. The breakdown are:

Ireland:
    Gerry 6420
    Farmer Phil
    IfarmWeFarm

UK:
    Tom Pemberton Farm Life
    The Funky Farmer
    CowfarmerDan
    Its a farming life for me

US:
    Welker farms
    millennial farmer
    10thgenerationdairyman

Farmer Phil's channel is fantastic, and shows how tough a mainly family run contracting business is. I love the kit too, high houred machines still earning their keep. I was delighted when he bought his 3690.
    In contrast, Gerry's channel is very different, much newer kit, and kept in mint condition. I really liked his videos on the slatted shed build, and the restoration of the 2850. Its also nice to see someone putting in their own silage, not too many do it.

Tom Pemberton has some amount of energy, I really like his channel. His dad is a wealth of knowledge too.

I was out of work with a bad chest infection around 14 months ago, and stumbled across the Welker farms channel. They had a play list created on the bug bud restoration. That was me hooked. Their fields are simply massive, to the horizon.

From Canada there's Northern Farmer. Beef and grain in Alberta. Nice channel too, very easy to listen to.

A big dairy in New York is Farming, Fixing and Fabricating. Must be the hardest working farmer on youtube. Starts feeding at 2am for six hours and goes all day then. Some really cool bits of machinery, has one of those agitation boats for his big lagoon and loads of tractors and trucks. Lots of workshop stuff where he is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Melodeon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Melodeon wrote: »

I like Harry's farm, I found it a few weeks ago and binged his videos. I wanted to criticise his arable process but the more I watched the more I like his approach.

At a guess his car youtube channel keeps his farm afloat.

Harry is a television quality presenter. His car channel videos are every bit as good as anything Top Gear or Fifth Gear put out. He has a beautiful farm and a equally nice garage. Sold the Zonda which is mark against him but he has some great cars still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Tileman

I only started to watch you tubers in past year.
    Love farmer Phil clips. He is a great presenter very down to earth, very positive which is great when nearly everything is negative in farming. I’d love to give him a dig out some of the time. Serious worker but I worry how long he can continue that workload for zero pay. Crazy.

I like ifarmwefarm also. Adrian is good presenter and shows a small farm ran well can produce a living for a family and you don’t have to have 200 cows and a €1m bank debt to go farming.

Gerry6420 is a hit hit and miss for me. Lovely equipment and keeps it very well.

Tom prembeton in Uk takes time to warm to but his dad is great knowledge . I often think how better and more advances allot of our farms in Ireland are v Uk farms. I suppose allot of them don’t own them so hard to invest in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Any chance one of the mods might correct the spelling on the thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The Hoof GP is worth following too. The amount of non-farming people who follow him is mad.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Tileman wrote: »
    Tom prembeton in Uk takes time to warm to but his dad is great knowledge . I often think how better and more advances allot of our farms in Ireland are v Uk farms. I suppose allot of them don’t own them so hard to invest in them.
    It's mad how the dad is very knowledgeable, yet there isn't a paddock in the place and the cows are left off into 20 acre fields. Tom is fairly green, could do with doing the green cert equivalent. Also the yard is fairly basic, certainly wouldn't be accepted over here, it makes you realise how much we've improved.

Farming, fixing & fabricating is probably my favourite on YouTube. Followed closely by Phil, who deserves a better following and will probably get it if he sticks at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It's mad how the dad is very knowledgeable, yet there isn't a paddock in the place and the cows are left off into 20 acre fields. Tom is fairly green, could do with doing the green cert equivalent. Also the yard is fairly basic, certainly wouldn't be accepted over here, it makes you realise how much we've improved.

Farming, fixing & fabricating is probably my favourite on YouTube. Followed closely by Phil, who deserves a better following and will probably get it if he sticks at it.

I think Tom pembertons place is what most Irish dairy farms would have been like back in the 80s and 90s.
    But tbf they can never really rely on getting to grass any earlier than they do.

Some upgrades needed definitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Any chance one of the mods might correct the spelling on the thread title

Feck never spotted it, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭einn32

The Pemberton's appear to have a serious farm shop though going on what I saw on the website and what I've seen on his channel. The farm might need an upgrade but they seem to have built a fine business for themselves selling their own produce to the locals.

Phil is good to watch but he is taking no wage for his work just what he makes off youtube according to him. It will be hard to sustain the hours he puts in and the hours to edit the videos for very little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I think Tom pembertons place is what most Irish dairy farms would have been like back in the 80s and 90s.
    But tbf they can never really rely on getting to grass any earlier than they do.

I thought they bought that farm in the last decade or so ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Lord Muck from UK

KV 6080, also from UK.

From Oz, bundy bear's shed, more tractor restoration (MF135) than actual farming, could be a bit more editing done, but he's a storyteller.

De boss garage from Canada, more mechanic than farming, but if you like Cummins or Detroit diesels....

That'll have to do for now, oh 1 more, really excellent UK organic farmer, but he doesn't post much these days, John Pawsey

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Lack of grants, buildings could be protected or messy family trust farm ownership could make it very hard to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭leoch

I find lord muck a bit hard to take when hes with george saunders on tourqing talk

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Tom pemberton channel I find is good. Cant see why people bash him. They are running a successful farm, Raw milk Enterprise and farm shop.
    As regards tom not knowing enough that's ridiculous sure everyone has to learn and start somewhere.
    He puts up all the mishaps that happen around the place which I think is good. He is honest and doesnt pretend he knows everything..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Nyfarmgirls can often have some good content up there too

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Check out SaskDutch kid probably the best set up i've ever seen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Tom pemberton channel I find is good. Cant see why people bash him. They are running a successful farm, Raw milk Enterprise and farm shop.
    As regards tom not knowing enough that's ridiculous sure everyone has to learn and start somewhere.
    He puts up all the mishaps that happen around the place which I think is good. He is honest and doesnt pretend he knows everything..

Oh definitely, I think his videos are great. I watch all of them.
    Very good warts and all and doesn't make out like it's all perfect

Advertisement