Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2019 BMW g20 320i

• 27-05-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Hi

Am looking at a 320i imported for about €38k - less than 10k miles.

msport+ pack

It's either that or wait for 330e to depreciate more. Its for my wife who does low mileage, mainly city driving.

The new 330e only came out in July last year so not many 1-2 years old.

The 320i at that price seems great value - €38k for a 1 year old car that costs €56k brand new.

Any thoughts?

She's in a 10 year old golf that's slowly falling apart so would like to change car this year and not wait another year, hence not waiting for 330e to depreciate.

Also I have OCD so getting a BMW only 1-2 year old is attractive as mint as possible.

It needs to be a 10 year car but I think petrol is safe enough for next 10 years, any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What about the 330i? Is the VRT much higher over the 320i? 330i is still 2.0 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

bazz26 wrote: »
    What about the 330i? Is the VRT much higher over the 320i? 330i is still 2.0 litre.

complete overkill - wife is in 80bhp golf, 320i at 185bhp is plenty for city driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

With the VRT saving and assuming the size isn't an issue you'd have a 530e cleared for less tbh. There vrt saving closes the gap a lot.

With the VRT saving and assuming the size isn't an issue you'd have a 530e cleared for less tbh. There vrt saving closes the gap a lot.

Yes I know but I already have a 5 series so don’t want two in the family and wife would prefer something a little smaller than 5.

We are definitely buying a 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes I know but I already have a 5 series so don’t want two in the family and wife would prefer something a little smaller than 5.

We are definitely buying a 3.

New 3 is a really decent size (I have one :pac:). It's like a reduced 5 series without the bulk. Not a huge gap in price though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The new 3 series is nearly the size of an E39 5 series (only a couple of inches in it), so I can understand the desire to stick with a 3.

As long as you're happy with the tiny fuel tank (40 litres vs the 59 litres you get in a 320i or 330i) and compromised boot space (1/3rd smaller than the regular car) then you actually sound like an ideal candidate for the plug-in; they can do 60 km in electric mode, too.

The new 3 series is nearly the size of an E39 5 series (only a couple of inches in it), so I can understand the desire to stick with a 3.

As long as you're happy with the tiny fuel tank (40 litres vs the 59 litres you get in a 320i or 330i) and compromised boot space (1/3rd smaller than the regular car) then you actually sound like an ideal candidate for the plug-in; they can do 60 km in electric mode, too.

It’s actually wider and taller than the E39 I checked it there on Wikipedia!!
    Longer wheelbase too and only marginally shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've been driving a 191 320i Sport Auto for the past while (well, it sat on the drive mainly doing nothing for a good few weeks). Lovely car, very smooth to drive although you do notice some of the rougher spots on the motorway.

Not a huge pile of difference between the Sport and the M-Sport - M-Sport has the wider/fancier centre screen and M-Sport plus pack will give you some nice goodies.

Plenty of poke when needed from the engine, and it does sound good under load. Diesel would be better for my motorway commute as it's not fantastic on fuel for that sort of journey. Had around 8,500km on it when it was assigned to me and average fuel consumption at that stage was 8.6 L/100km.

No issues with it so far, but I've only put about 2,000km on it. Has some nice features - personal favourite is the reversing assistant where you stick it in R, select assistant and it will reverse exactly how it was just driven forwards. Not especially useful in day to day life but comes in handy when you need to move the car to let someone out from behind it then just let it guide it's own way back to where it was. Reverse collision avoidance (can't reverse in to something behind you) has saved the rear bumper a couple of times already as well.

€38,000 is very well priced for the spec as well.

I’ve a Sport too. Well the budget didn’t stretch to an M Sport and with my driving the dealer advised I’d be better off with the Sport as I do a lot of motorway and N road driving. Sport had basically everything I need, very well specced. Overall best car I’ve ever had really on point to drive. Lots of features too both safety and convenience. The auto box is a joy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

I'm eagerly awaiting the dealer to get the grants processed so I can pick up my new 330e MSport with Plus pack.

As a family with two kids it is a bit of a compromise regarding boot space and overall cabin space - but I really fell in love with it when I had it on an extended test drive. It brought the joy of driving back to me - the plug-in satisfies about 80% of what driving it will do. And I can hold on to my old estate so we have a barge for lugging stuff around when needed !

• Advertisement

Paid deposit on Saturday thanks - 36k with an 07 golf traded in, from Dublin dealer.

Was brought in from uk - is the Bmw warranty still 2 years or is it 3 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It should still have the balance of the original 3 years manufacturer's warranty remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Paid deposit on Saturday thanks - 36k with an 07 golf traded in, from Dublin dealer.

Was brought in from uk - is the Bmw warranty still 2 years or is it 3 now?

First world issues and all that, but that is a good news story.

Nice price for a very nice car. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pentax

Hi All,

Im looking for some advise on the G20. I have been looking to buy a 3 series for some years and Im now finally in the position but I can t decide which engine variant I should go with on the G20.

I cant decide between the 330e, 330i or the 320D. I like a fun car and I have always had diesels but with the way the government is going it might be time to move away from the diesel.

I like the sound of the 330i but I have no idea what the real life MPG is like or how it will hold its value as its a combustible engine.

And the 330e sound like a good option but only if you plug it in all the time otherwise your just carrying around loads of extra weight. The boot space is small.

Cheers

John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭User1998

Pentax wrote: »
    And the 330e sound like a good option but only if you plug it in all the time

This is what it boils down to really. If your willing to charge the car a few times a week the 330e is probably the best option.

Unlike other PHEV’s it has up to 60km of electric range so it probably wouldn’t be the case where you have to plug it in every single day.

I’d definitely take a test drive in one, I find the electric driving is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭shnaek

Hi All

And the 330e sound like a good option but only if you plug it in all the time otherwise your just carrying around loads of extra weight. The boot space is small.

Cheers

John

It's that tiny boot that gets me. Really fun car, but you'd fit nothing in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Hi All,

Im looking for some advise on the G20. I have been looking to buy a 3 series for some years and Im now finally in the position but I can t decide which engine variant I should go with on the G20.

I cant decide between the 330e, 330i or the 320D. I like a fun car and I have always had diesels but with the way the government is going it might be time to move away from the diesel.

I like the sound of the 330i but I have no idea what the real life MPG is like or how it will hold its value as its a combustible engine.

Cheers

John

I’ve a 330i and cover over 400kms a week in it and it delivers 40 odd mpg.

I’ve driven the 330e and didn’t like it. No where near as dynamic as the 30i through corners

Hi All,

Cheers

John

Test drive the 330i and 330e and see which you prefer.

Advertisement