Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a truth seeker?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

What a load of rubbish!

It's just a short story. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Did you really try it? What was it like? I've read the spirit molecule.

It was mad I was immedietly zapped into a multidimensional hallucinascape and there was lots of geometries telling me I need to quit everything and live a clean life.
    Cant quit the fags though. Gave up everything else. and it gave me the energy and persistence to stay clean.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Did you really try it? What was it like? I've read the spirit molecule.
    Well I had ayahuasca, which IIRC has DMT(among other things) going on. NOT for the faint of heart, that's for sure. I had the whole ego death thing and you feel like you're dying. If you fight it it's nasty, so you go with the flow. Then things get weird. T's above description gives some sense, but it's hard to put into words. It makes LSD feel like a half pint of shandy. Profound personal experience it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Sneering. Always the sneering. You'll go to hell (in your religion) for that.

Actually I'm on the fence about the whole religion thing. May very well be the greatest story ever told. So "my religion" comment doesn't apply. Sorry to burst your moment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well since - as the theory goes - spacetime itself didn't exist before the big bang, so there was no before. Which is a hard nut to crack in our minds, though I always thought it a bit of a fudge myself
    It is in a sense. The "no before so there is nothing to explain" more comes from modern atheism* than actual science.

The actual science is that our universe's spacetime originates in the big bang but there is probably some other "realm" that it comes from or is logically prior to it. It's just that whatever that realm is it doesn't involve time, space, etc
    So it's a bit difficult to imagine.

In the 80s and 90s people like Hawking thought you could reduce this other realm to simply being part and parcel of known physics. However the conventional thinking in physics (as borne out by the fact that such ideas didn't work) is that you can't.

*Before anybody leaps at this, I am not religious myself. It's just that modern atheism has spawned its own collection of "bro science".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes!

What is the meaning of life?

For me I would feel that is one question too far ahead.

The first question interesting to me is not what it is - but if there even is one. If there is none - then wondering what it is seems rather defunct. If I have no reason to think there is a monster under my bed - then I have no reason to wonder how many eyes it has.

So far I have seen nothing that makes me suspect there is a meaning to it. So I have invested no time in trying to figure out what that meaning is.
    Does God exists, and if He does, what does that mean for me?

As above - I am not seeing anything to make me think there is a god. In fact the idea of a god seems to often tie in with the assumption there is a meaning in life. The moment you assume there is a meaning - it often becomes necessary to invent the story teller too to give it that meaning. Which is where a god comes into it.
    What is the good life? What is happiness?

I have come to doubt "happiness" is a thing. We pursue some thing we think will make us "happy" but when we get it - does it actually make us happy? Or are we then waiting for the next thing - or to get that same thing again.

I have heard many people say "I will be happy when - " or "I could be happy if -" but when that thing happens they are not happy. Sometimes the opposite is true - they end up miserable when they attain that goal or target. Tyson Fury I think is one high profile example of this. When he attained his goals he was flung into an awful depression due to lack of meaning in his life.

The "good life" for me seems to come from populating life with things that give an ongoing sense of meaning and belonging. Rather than expect happiness to come from some future goal - it works for me to continue to find meaning in what I am doing now. And my well being has never been higher and consistent.

So clearly we crave meaning in our lives - which I guess creates a market for those who want to sell the idea life itself has a meaning external to us if only we would listen to them tell us what it is.

I was an atheist until I took DMT now i'm not too sure of anything.

It is difficult to have experiences on DMT or Psilocybin or ayahuasca or similar and not find them completely transformative. Especially if you have not been prepared by any kind of guide. So I can certainly relate to what you write above.

I was always well prepared before I took anything in my life. So I knew what to expect and how to prepare for it. I was quite anal about preparation every time. That's just how I work :) The user above who says they took it and can not quite recall what it contains or not is very different to me for example. I couldn't do it until I knew by heart everything it contains.

I guess from all the experiences - the one that is quite powerful and throws most atheists a curveball - is the feeling of the presence of another mind other than ones own. And the frustrating feeling that if only you could skew your perceptions in the right way - you could "turn" and see it and commune with it. And just when you think you might be making progress a monkey with a 7 dimensional banana rapes me aurally. (no not a misspelling of anally or orally).

Through it all I never lost the idea that this "other mind" was likely just my own mind being perturbed. But if I had - and I had come out of it thinking this "other mind" was out there - I would probably find myself with deistic or theistic leanings too. Thinking that the universe was itself conscious and I was able to commune with it directly.

Over the years I have developed the ability to have many of those experiences without drugs. They do not become mundane when you have them again and again - but they do lose the curve ball ability to completely throw you into doubt about the nature of the universe.

It is difficult to have experiences on DMT or Psilocybin or ayahuasca or similar and not find them completely transformative. Especially if you have not been prepared by any kind of guide. So I can certainly relate to what you write above.

Why? I am not atheist. But why would you not put them down to a neurological/chemical experience?

The thing that makes me doubt my spiritual experiences is it come be something occurring in the chemistry of my brain.

I do experience very,.... what is the word very real things ..visual and audible.

I have actually asked a psychiatrist if i was possibly schizophrenic. He said no. His reasoning was i accepted the visualizations as my own and the auditory experiences as my own. Even if i couldn't explain them.

I also have synesthesia. partic for days of the week and music and numbers.

7 is yellow etc

The days of the week are a see through rectangle with the corner cut off and they are kept in a container like a CD holder. Friday is dark blue sat is lighter blue etc etc. Tuesday is horrible orange colour.

I know the above sounds mad. And i honestly can't control the perception of the days of the week like this. Like i can't stop it.

I have a friend who teaches neuroscience he has it too. For certain words only though.

Why? I am not atheist. But why would you not put them down to a neurological/chemical experience?

Errrrrr I do? Did you stop reading after that paragraph or something? Or are you directing this question more at Temptamperu who does seem to have had his world view somewhat perturbed by the experience(s)?
    I know the above sounds mad.

To some maybe but actually I have read a lot about synesthesia and the theories on what causes it. So not mad at all to me. And synesthesia like sensations are actually also quite common when taking drugs too.

• Advertisement

Errrrrr I do? Did you stop reading after that paragraph or something? Or are you directing this question more at Temptamperu who does seem to have had his world view somewhat perturbed by the experience(s)?

To some maybe but actually I have read a lot about synesthesia and the theories on what causes it. So not mad at all to me. And synesthesia like sensations are actually also quite common when taking drugs too.

No. It was directed at you. Unless I misunderstood you ..it undid your atheism? Unless i got that wrong? Threw you a curve ball?

Or did you put it down to chemistry after all?:)

Yes I would imagine synesthesia like sensations would be fairly common on some drugs.
    I guess from all the experiences - the one that is quite powerful and throws most atheists a curveball - is the feeling of the presence of another mind other than ones own. And the frustrating feeling that if only you could skew your perceptions in the right way - you could "turn" and see it and commune with it. And just when you think you might be making progress a monkey with a 7 dimensional banana rapes me aurally. (no not a misspelling of anally or orally).

You can :) And it can be taught. Quite quickly too.

TBH when its real ...its quite clear. Like give you the lottery numbers clear.

Honestly i wish psychiatrists would diagnose me with something though. I could tell people oh its something then.

I can hear trees talking to me that is not normal. Because i know its me i am perceiving.

No. It was directed at you. Unless I misunderstood you ..it undid your atheism? Unless i got that wrong?

Yes you got it wrong. I was saying that the experiences are transformative. And because of that I can understand someone who said it challenged his atheism. I never said it challenged mine - I said the opposite actually. I just said that my knowledge of those experiences mean that I can see how it might challenge someone else.
    You can :) And it can be taught. Quite quickly too.

Yes it becomes easier with practice. And I actually I find it easier to do now without drugs as I am more in control then. A bit like Lucid Dreaming - practice is key. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The thing that makes me doubt my spiritual experiences is it come be something occurring in the chemistry of my brain.

I do experience very,.... what is the word very real things ..visual and audible.

I have actually asked a psychiatrist if i was possibly schizophrenic. He said no. His reasoning was i accepted the visualizations as my own and the auditory experiences as my own. Even if i couldn't explain them.

I also have synesthesia. partic for days of the week and music and numbers.

7 is yellow etc

The days of the week are a see through rectangle with the corner cut off and they are kept in a container like a CD holder. Friday is dark blue sat is lighter blue etc etc. Tuesday is horrible orange colour.

I know the above sounds mad. And i honestly can't control the perception of the days of the week like this. Like i can't stop it.

I have a friend who teaches neuroscience he has it too. For certain words only though.

That is interesting,a mixing of the senses.
    I also experience very real strange things multiple times daily.My experiences show me I am like a pawn here with something else (probably a different me) creating everything for my me.Like a big simulation created for me,by me.....Crazy I know but very normal and expected now.makes life amazing and magical, my senses are also working at a high level:)

Yes you got it wrong. I was saying that the experiences are transformative. And because of that I can understand someone who said it challenged his atheism. I never said it challenged mine - I said the opposite actually. I just said that my knowledge of those experiences mean that I can see how it might challenge someone else.

Yes it becomes easier with practice. And I actually I find it easier to do now without drugs as I am more in control then. A bit like Lucid Dreaming - practice is key. YMMV.

Oh sorry i took you up wrong.
    Hmm one of my friends has always been able to lucid dream ever since she can remember. I haven't ...well with meaning to you know.

I sometimes get ...waking dreams??? But they are lucid. Usually before or after sleep. But i can get into this state ..easily...during the day...

Some spiritual people call is gnosis. Or the gnostic state.

Hypnagogia is the scientific name i think. It usually happens for most people before or after sleep.

But i go into it anytime.

From wiki.
    Daydreaming and waking reveries

Microsleep (short episodes of immediate sleep onset) may intrude into wakefulness at any time in the wakefulness-sleep cycle, due to sleep deprivation and other conditions,[34] resulting in impaired cognition and even amnesia.[12]
    In his book, Zen and the Brain, James H. Austin cites speculation that regular meditation develops a specialized skill of "freezing the hypnagogic process at later and later stages" of the onset of sleep, initially in the alpha wave stage and later in theta.[35]

I could always do this. I usually see figures ..or hear my name being called.

I wish i could say these were huge meaningful experiences. But they are usually mundane but very relaxing.

upupup wrote: »
    That is interesting,a mixing of the senses.
    I also experience very real strange things multiple times daily.My experiences show me I am like a pawn here with something else (probably a different me) creating everything for my me.Like a big simulation created for me,by me.....Crazy I know but very normal and expected now.makes life amazing and magical, my senses are also working at a high level:)
    Wow. I can't even comprehend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was an atheist until I took DMT now i'm not too sure of anything.

All I can think of when people mention DMT.

3k3l97.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is nothing quite like thinking about the big questions of our existence: What is the meaning of life? Does God exists, and if He does, what does that mean for me? What is the good life? What is happiness?

Sometimes I think that life throws so many little things our way that we can go through it without pondering these questions. Distractions, the grind of daily life and our immediate necessities all make it difficult to just sit down, read a bit and have a good think.

Anyone thinking about these things? Do you keep looking until you have found what you can satisfy yourself to be the truth?

I think what was cossi thinking when he took that free against Armagh in 2002 (now and again)

God? No
    Meaning of life? No. each person is different anyway not a broad brush.
    Happiness? No. each person is different anyway, not a broad brush.

It sounds like you have been listening to too much George Harrison?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

1) the period of time when a person is alive
    2) yes He exists. He made everything. If He didn't when you get up in the morning and open the door there would be nothing outside.
    3) a British television comedy
    4) happiness is a temporary pleasant emotion
    5) at any moment there are people thinking about these things
    6) there are many truths, Grasshopper. You must keep looking.

Interesting.

1) I think that life must have a meaning. Aristotle would say everything has an end (a purpose). The end of an acorn is to be an oak tree. The end of a table is to hold stuff up. If we think along these lines, since everything in the universe has a purpose (genuinely, show me something that doesn't), then logically, life must have a purpose too.

2) Two arguments which are pretty solid are the following:

a) Everything is made by something else. Again, let's take a table. A table is made by a machine in a factory. The factory is built by builders. The builders are "made" by their parents. And so on and so forth. But this chain of causation needs to stop somewhere. It's getting late so I am going to quote John Duns Scotus' version of this argument to illustrate:
    1. Something can be produced.
    2. It is produced by itself, something or another.
    3. Not by nothing, because nothing causes nothing.
    4. Not by itself, because an effect never causes itself.
    5. Therefore, by another A.
    6. If A is first then we have reached the conclusion.
    7. If A is not first, then we return to 2).
    8. The ascending series is either infinite or finite.
    9. An infinite series is not possible. (PS Impossible, because it provokes unanswerable questions, like, "What is infinity minus infinity?")
    10. The series must have a start. Therefore, God exists.

b) We can define God as 'something than which nothing greater can be conceived'. This is an idea which is true by definition – people hear it and understand it. In order to deny this we must understand what we are denying. Therefore, God must exist as an idea in the mind. However, to exist in reality is greater than to exist simply as an idea in the mind. If God was to exist as an idea in the mind only, something greater than God can exist. But if this were so, it would produce a logical contradiction, as God is the greatest existent. Therefore God must exist.

These are just some thoughts on the first two questions, might have a crack at the other few at a different stage. I think its pretty satisfying to just mull these things over - to wrestle with logic and reason, to refine your arguments and (unless you are an existentialist) to leave all emotion waiting at the door (emotions are important in their own right, just not for this sort of stuff). The human intellect is a powerful tool and, if not clouded with pride, can lead into some pretty cool places.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

1) I think that life must have a meaning. Aristotle would say everything has an end (a purpose). The end of an acorn is to be an oak tree. The end of a table is to hold stuff up. If we think along these lines, since everything in the universe has a purpose (genuinely, show me something that doesn't), then logically, life must have a purpose too.

False equivalence fallacy there. You are assigning the word "purpose" to two entirely different things, and hoping your equating them will be simply missed under the carpet.

"Purpose" assumes a mind and intention. You can do that with a table, for we know the tablemaker and we know that the table was indeed made with purpose. But an acorn is just doing what it does, there is no indication of a mind or "purpose" behind it.

Basically you are equating "purpose" with anything that happens the way it happens as if they are the same thing. What something does, and what it was intended to do, are not the same thing. The acorn will make a tree because that is simply what it does. Your table will rot and decay because that is what it does. It's use as a table, that is US giving it "purpose". Not the universe, and not a god.

Put another way, you are mistaking the word "purpose" for the word "narrative".
    [*]An infinite series is not possible. (PS Impossible, because it provokes unanswerable questions, like, "What is infinity minus infinity?")

That assertion is baseless, we can not know it to be true. Whether or not infinity is possible is an open question. But you can not answer that question just by virtue of the fact it gives questions WE can not answer. You are using our limitations as humans as evidence for a conclusion you have simply made up. That is not logic, that is narrative and hubris. "Not possible" and "Not something I/we understand" are two entirely different things. You conflate them in order to define your god into existence.
    We can define God as 'something than which nothing greater can be conceived'.

You can define anything any way you want. You do not get to pretend that defining it into existence means it's exists. Further as great as god is, something even greater would be a being that can do all the things this god does, despite suffering the limitation of not existing. So by that definition a god that does not exist is even greater than a god that does because the god that does exist is hampered by a limitation the other is not. :)

See I can write meaningless word salad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This **** would put years on you.

You can only fix what is within your control.

Life is hard enough without adding extra complications.

So, not sure if that makes me a truth seeker or not? Probably not.

Or maybe I believe in a different truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Sometimes I think this is hell and we must have done something bad in a previous life to end up here

anewme wrote: »

There IS only one truth.....and that's your own truth.

Find is by stepping away from ALL that doesn't give you joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

upupup wrote: »
    There IS only one truth.....and that's your own truth.

Find is by stepping away from ALL that doesn't give you joy.

That's my point to OP.

That heavy stuff adds no value (to me anyway) so I follow my own path.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

anewme wrote: »

As a very pragmatic relative of mine often says "Get your head out of your arse and get on with it."

We're born, we live and then we die. Make the best of what you can while you're alive and dont worry about why you're here, you won't have figured it out by the time you die.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Sometimes I think this is hell and we must have done something bad in a previous life to end up here

That's silly :) But I do like thinking that way.

It is kinda how I go through life.

How would you live your life if knew you were living this life to atone for crimes in the last one? You know nothing else - only that.

I do not believe in gods or reincarnation - its all nonsense to me - but I like living my life _as if_ I think that way.

That's silly :) But I do like thinking that way.

It is kinda how I go through life.

How would you live your life if knew you were living this life to atone for crimes in the last one? You know nothing else - only that.

I do not believe in gods or reincarnation - its all nonsense to me - but I like living my life _as if_ I think that way.

The truth is in the living and not the contemplating.

False equivalence fallacy there. You are assigning the word "purpose" to two entirely different things, and hoping your equating them will be simply missed under the carpet.

"Purpose" assumes a mind and intention. You can do that with a table, for we know the tablemaker and we know that the table was indeed made with purpose. But an acorn is just doing what it does, there is no indication of a mind or "purpose" behind it.

Basically you are equating "purpose" with anything that happens the way it happens as if they are the same thing. What something does, and what it was intended to do, are not the same thing. The acorn will make a tree because that is simply what it does. Your table will rot and decay because that is what it does. It's use as a table, that is US giving it "purpose". Not the universe, and not a god.

Put another way, you are mistaking the word "purpose" for the word "narrative".

Hi nozzferrahhtoo,

I don't see why you necessitate purpose with a mind. The Merriam-Webster sure doesn't :

'Purpose: something set up as an object or end to be attained'

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/purpose

But I will rephrase my first statement nonetheless, just to make it absolutely clear:

1) I think that life must have a meaning. Aristotle would say everything has an end. The end of an acorn is to be an oak tree. The end of a table is to hold stuff up. If we think along these lines, since everything in the universe has an end (genuinely, show me something that doesn't), then logically, life must have an end too.

I am using 'end' (telos) as used by Aristotle:

"The word can mean ‘purpose,’ ‘intent,’ ‘end,’ or ‘goal,’ but as usual, Aristotle used it in a more specific and subtle sense—the inherent purpose of each thing, the ultimate reason for each thing being the way it is, whether created that way by human beings or nature."

https://philosophyterms.com/telos/

Moving on.

That assertion is baseless, we can not know it to be true. Whether or not infinity is possible is an open question. But you can not answer that question just by virtue of the fact it gives questions WE can not answer. You are using our limitations as humans as evidence for a conclusion you have simply made up. That is not logic, that is narrative and hubris. "Not possible" and "Not something I/we understand" are two entirely different things. You conflate them in order to define your god into existence.

What Scotus is doing here is making an argument based on the Principle of Non Contradiction ("PNC"). It is by all means logical, in fact PNC underpins all logic. It basically means that opposites cannot both be true at the same time and in the same respect. I cannot be both dead and alive. We realise this by pure intuition. So it is logically impossible to take infinity away from infinity. If it is not, by all means describe the process.

You can define anything any way you want. You do not get to pretend that defining it into existence means it's exists. Further as great as god is, something even greater would be a being that can do all the things this god does, despite suffering the limitation of not existing. So by that definition a god that does not exist is even greater than a god that does because the god that does exist is hampered by a limitation the other is not. smile.png

See I can write meaningless word salad too.

Concepts need definitions, otherwise they are meaningless. If my language means nothing, how can I communicate? God as 'something than which nothing greater can be conceived' is not my definition; this is how many philosophers (including atheists) understand the concept of God - to 'bring it down', an all-mighty being of some sort. Notice that initially, the argument allows for the reader to understand and yet not believe. Even if a person does not believe, he would still understand, in a conversation about God, what is generally meant by God.

The part in bold is a fallacy. In order for an act to be committed (or omitted) it needs an actor. Something cannot come from nothing ie. nothing can come from something which does not exist, has no being.

As far as I can see, my argument stands.

PS You clearly have philosophy bro, who do you read? (:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I don't see why you necessitate purpose with a mind. The Merriam-Webster sure doesn't

Except yes it does. Read the definition again. An "end to be attained" infers intentionality. Intentionality infers a mind. The reason your conflation failed is there is intentionality behind a table, but not behind an acorn.

Changing your phrasing to use the word "end" does not bypass that. The conflation still fails. The table might have a "purpose" because we give it one, but the acorn does not. It is just doing what it does. The "end" of the table and the acorn is to rot away over time and entropy. The "holding things up" is a narrative a human mind puts on it, and an intentional use it is put to.

Two very different things.
    So it is logically impossible to take infinity away from infinity. If it is not, by all means describe the process.

Again your statement was essentially that "X is impossible because it raises unanswerable questions". That is not logical thinking. Just because you/I/we can not answer a question, that does not mean the thing that caused the question is impossible. It just means that you/we/I can not answer the question.

As for the question of whether infinity - infinity is actually impossible or not however, you will have to take that up with a mathematician which neither of us appear to be. I just googled the question and none of the first 20 results suggested it was impossible however. In fact 13 of the 20 results all merely said that it is "undefined. Not impossible, undefined.

Again two very different things.
    this is how many philosophers (including atheists) understand the concept of God

That remains irrelevant however for the same reason I gave before and you did not reply to. Merely defining something, whatever way you wish to define it, does not at all mean it exists. You can define god as the above if you wish, as something greater than which you can not conceive, but that does not mean the thing defined exists. Actually all the definition does is define the limitations on what you can conceive. Rather than define "god" it is defining human limitation. Which I am ok with.

However if you want to take up a debate with someone using that definition, then by all means do. I do not. My definition of "god" is "A non-human, intentional, intelligent, agent responsible for the creation and/or subsequent maintenance of our universe". And to use your words I think that is what is "generally meant by god".

And I have yet to see any evidence, least of all from you, that such an agent exists.

The "something can not come from nothing" argument you mention is also irrelevant to me because it contains an unverifiable assumption that "nothing" is the default and that therefore the "something" has to be explained or justified. For all we know the opposite is true, that the default is always that there would be "something" and you would have to justify the concept of there ever being "nothing". But this is not within the grasp of any human I know of, past, future, and certainly present.
    PS You clearly have philosophy bro, who do you read? (:

Everything and anything that comes before me usually. Though I know where my limitations lie. I am relatively ignorant about mathematics and about law for example. I defer to my betters on those subjects for the most part :)

Except yes it does. Read the definition again. An "end to be attained" infers intentionality. Intentionality infers a mind. The reason your conflation failed is there is intentionality behind a table, but not behind an acorn.

Changing your phrasing to use the word "end" does not bypass that. The conflation still fails. The table might have a "purpose" because we give it one, but the acorn does not. It is just doing what it does. The "end" of the table and the acorn is to rot away over time and entropy. The "holding things up" is a narrative a human mind puts on it, and an intentional use it is put to.

Two very different things.

Hmm. If by intentionality you mean an inherent intentinality, as in a plant will intentionally grow, then I will agree with you. Any other meaning would be an interpretation you imported from somewhere which you are yet unwilling to subject to scrutiny.
    but as usual, Aristotle used it in a more specific and subtle sense—the inherent purpose of each thing, the ultimate reason for each thing being the way it is, whether created that way by human beings or nature."

Ok, so a table's end is to hold things up, "the ultimate reason for [the table] being the way it is (...) created by human beings". The acorn's end is an oak tree, "the ultimate reason for [the acorn] being the way it is (...) created by nature". Fits nicely, not so?

As an aside, do you really think life has no end/reason? :D
    Again your statement was essentially that "X is impossible because it raises unanswerable questions". That is not logical thinking. Just because you/I/we can not answer a question, that does not mean the thing that caused the question is impossible. It just means that you/we/I can not answer the question.

As for the question of whether infinity - infinity is actually impossible or not however, you will have to take that up with a mathematician which neither of us appear to be. I just googled the question and none of the first 20 results suggested it was impossible however. In fact 13 of the 20 results all merely said that it is "undefined. Not impossible, undefined.

Again two very different things.

So the first couple of entries I got on google were pretty interesting.

"It is impossible for infinity subtracted from infinity to be equal to one and zero. Using this type of math, we can get infinity minus infinity to equal any real number. Therefore, infinity subtracted from infinity is undefined."

"First of all: you cannot just subtract infinity from infinity. Infinity is not a real number so you can't simply use the basic operations as you're used to do with (real) real numbers."

(Literally entry 1 and 2)

We are entering such speculation here as to render the issue basically meaningless. Why not start doubting our own existence? After all, you do not have 100% certainty on this issue. Heck, my laptop might not exist. The world might not exist. This is the level of absurdity and obscurity when we insist that infinity-infinity may have an answer like 74. :pac:

On the other hand, clear empirical observation tells us that everything has a cause. Acorn -> Tree -> Wood -> Desk.
    That remains irrelevant however for the same reason I gave before and you did not reply to. Merely defining something, whatever way you wish to define it, does not at all mean it exists. You can define god as the above if you wish, as something greater than which you can not conceive, but that does not mean the thing defined exists. Actually all the definition does is define the limitations on what you can conceive. Rather than define "god" it is defining human limitation. Which I am ok with.

However if you want to take up a debate with someone using that definition, then by all means do. I do not. My definition of "god" is "A non-human, intentional, intelligent, agent responsible for the creation and/or subsequent maintenance of our universe". And to use your words I think that is what is "generally meant by god".

And I have yet to see any evidence, least of all from you, that such an agent exists.

I never said that God exists because He is defined. By a logical process, I showed that by pondering upon God we deduce that He exists. How about this: if I asked you, what comes into your mind, or anyone else's on the street, when I say ''something than which nothing greater can be conceived.'' I am pretty sure 9/10 people would respond with some sort of a god. At this stage I am not talking about a Christian God, just an idea of God that is universal. This idea is, in some way, innately in people's minds. It is just about following it to a logical conclusion using solid metaphysics. Existence is superior to non-existence, ergo such a Being must exist, if not, something greater than 'the greatest' would in fact exist, causing a contradiction, violating a key principle of logic.
    The "something can not come from nothing" argument you mention is also irrelevant to me because it contains an unverifiable assumption that "nothing" is the default and that therefore the "something" has to be explained or justified. For all we know the opposite is true, that the default is always that there would be "something" and you would have to justify the concept of there ever being "nothing". But this is not within the grasp of any human I know of, past, future, and certainly present.

I'm sorry but I will just have to double down here. Ex nihilo nihil fit is such an established principle of logic and metaphysics that to deny it would be, again, akin to denying your own existence. Let's have a quick look. I cannot bake a cake from nothing. For a cake to be baked there need to be a baker (an actor, person/object who acts) and ingredients (the matter). Same with the desk. And same with our acorn. If you, my friend, can make something out of nothing well, then you're a wizard Harry. :D
    Everything and anything that comes before me usually. Though I know where my limitations lie. I am relatively ignorant about mathematics and about law for example. I defer to my betters on those subjects for the most part :)

I did law in college, you are dodging a bullet there mate. Nothing better than a bit of quality philosophy I reckon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

our purpose is the same as that of the oak or the acorn, to reproduce, same as any living thing, from a bacteria to a blue whale

"this chain of causation needs to stop somewhere... / An infinite series is not possible."

the big bang would be a place to start looking

Advertisement