Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University Status

Options
  • 26-05-2020 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

IRELAND is to secure a new university with the Government decision to sanction the merger of Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) and Institute of Technology Tralee (ITT)

Cork already has a university, why has the South East and in particular Waterford been ignored again for university status? The city is crying out for investment and is constantly being ignored by politicians

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Balmorhea wrote: »
    IRELAND is to secure a new university with the Government decision to sanction the merger of Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) and Institute of Technology Tralee (ITT)

Cork already has a university, why has the South East and in particular Waterford been ignored again for university status? The city is crying out for investment and is constantly being ignored by politicians

Waterford is in much more debt than Tralee is. I can’t see why CIT would want to merge with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think you've rather missed the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

My understanding is that there’s criteria that must be hit in advance, such as the number of PhDs. They’ve been working towards this for years. I didn’t get the impression that the WIT and IT Carlow bid was as cohesive, but I’m open to correction there.

This actual creates a huge institutional university. CIT alone currently has 17,000 students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Waterford is in much more debt than Tralee is. I can’t see why CIT would want to merge with them.

When was a WIT/CIT merger ever on the cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Balmorhea wrote: »

The best comment I read about this is that after the various reports that WIT is operating at university level they should have just changed the name to University of Waterford. This merger thing is the last thing Waterford needs, its a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

North Quays, UHW, this, incoming recession. Being kicked when you're down isn't too bad when you're lying in the gutter. At least we're not covid spreaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

At least we still have cans

Advertisement