Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will drive-in theatres make a come back?

Options
  • 26-05-2020 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Will drive-in theatres make a come back due to COVID19?

People will be keeping their social distance from strangers, watch a movie, and get snacks.

When the ban lifts, will people be going back into the cinemas in their 1000's, or will drive-in theatres make a come back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Were they ever popular in the first place? Though to answer your question, I doubt it. Netflix is a better alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Drive Thru's cover off Social Distancing, but they're not very practical, definitely more a of novelty.

By the time cinema's re-open - I reckon it's likely there'll be audience caps, and ushers bringing people to designated seats in a defined order.

You'd reckon by that stage a default of two seats between groups of 2/3 would probably be deemed sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I go to the retro drive in 2 or 3 times a year.Usually to their Halloween films. One annoying thing is my car has lights that automatically come on when the engine is on and having to turn it on to clear the windscreen isn't ideal.

Maybe its better during the summer if the car won't fog up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One annoying thing is my car has lights that automatically come on when the engine is on and having to turn it on to clear the windscreen isn't ideal.
    Odd. Would think you'd be able to turn them off. What's the make/model/year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No.
    I very much doubt anyone will fire a whole load of money into screens, sound systems, toilets etc for drive thru cinemas in a normally wet country that will end up being deserted when this thing eventually blows over.
    Even normal cinemas have been fecked with streaming unless they offer something different from the mainstream or are part of an existing complex or shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

the_syco wrote: »
    Odd. Would think you'd be able to turn them off. What's the make/model/year?

It's a 132 Fiat 500.I'm sure there is a way to set the daylights to be off permanently but I haven't gotten around to figuring out. It's the only time its been an issue.

I had a look in the manual and its not very clear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Conventional drive-ins don't work anywhere except dry, sunny climates; how would a drive-in work in the middle of an Irish winter? Going to go ahead and speculate that watching a film through your windscreen wipers & torrential rain ain't the most pleasant experience :D

More realistic that there'll be a heavily reduced capacity (which will be unfortunate for our local, given they recently refitted all their screens), maybe even reduction of offered snacks & food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

l see all Chinese cinemas re-closed a few days ago. It's not clear why they closed though.

One issue for many businesses is that re-opening too soon could cost them more than staying closed. I suspect this may be a big issue for cinemas.

Advertisement