Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cletus wrote: »
    Are you replacing a set, or reinstalling the same set?

It's a brand new frame. No headset been installed yet on it

That's them attached in what I think is order from crown race up. The top cup as I have it fits into the cover (4th in pic) (bound to have a name) with some wiggle room though that's without the shim etc

The cover is very snug of the one I think is bottom cup.

I'm not explaining this remotely well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭cletus

I am by no means an expert, but if I was installing, the order you have in the first picture is how I would do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Reckon it's the same headset that might be in my equilibrium? You're welcome to take a look at that.

Ill have a look alright. The headset in my croix de fer was changed so couldn't compare.

Anyway, I used a hoover/vacuum tube to install the crown race.

Henry Hoover as many uses

Right, quick question. So far on all assembly jobs requiring grease I've used Holt's Blue Lithium grease.

What do other people here use, and is there any advantage to bike specific grease, or is it all so much marketing wånk?

• Advertisement

I use BikeHuts bike grease for most things as it was the only one I could get in a bricks and mortar at short notice, except for pedals for some reason I use some form of copper based one I have for years as it came with a brush that's perfect size.

Mate of mine was out for a cycle, shifted down gears and somehow fouled the derailler. He's too far away for me to go have a look

Any ideas or suggestions as to the problem, or possible solution?

513200.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Clean his chain, cassette and derailleur, looks like they are gunked up which would explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

cletus wrote: »
    Mate of mine was out for a cycle, shifted down gears and somehow fouled the derailler. He's too far away for me to go have a look

Any ideas or suggestions as to the problem, or possible solution?

513200.jpg

That hanger looks bent - tell him not to ride it, and to go to his lbs unless the can change it himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or else leave them be and plant his maincrop spuds in them.

• Advertisement

Type 17 wrote: »
    That hanger looks bent - tell him not to ride it, and to go to his lbs unless the can change it himself.
    I thought it was the derailleur itself but yours makes more sense. Should be easy enough to replace.

Thanks folks, Type17, the more I look at it the more I think you're right. I'll ask him for some pictures from the back tomorrow.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I thought it was the derailleur itself but yours makes more sense. Should be easy enough to replace.

I thought so too, didn't even look at the hanger initially

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why do the freewheels in some bikes make so much noise? A clicking noise like you were spinning a ratcheting wrench around? Whats the reason for it? You'd imagine it adds up to a lot of wasted energy and rolling resistance for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thargor wrote: »
    Why do the freewheels in some bikes make so much noise? A clicking noise like you were spinning a ratcheting wrench around? Whats the reason for it? You'd imagine it adds up to a lot of wasted energy and rolling resistance for no reason.

It depends on what sort of pawl/drive system they use. The type/thickness of oil/lube will also effect the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Some carbon frames make the freewheel noise louder too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

So people know you bought hope...

Handy on the trails to let people know you are behind them and no wasted energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭tnegun

Type 17 wrote: »
    What series of 105 RD did you get? - the current model (R7000) is 11-speed only and won't work with 10-speed setups. The RD for the 105 10-speed series (5700) is very hard to get now.
    The symptoms you mention are typical of a mismatch, but other issues can also cause them.

Just wanted to post back and say you were 100% correct. I sourced a replacement Tigra 4600 and it's shifting perfectly now thanks for the help and advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Hi, I have a Cube Attain Race which I use as my winter bike. I would have done about 6,000 km on it over the winter.
    Just wondering should I clean and re grease the headset or would it be ok for another winter? I don't use a front mudguard just a seat post mounted rear one.

it was a wet winter, i'd be inclined to check it and clean it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I often think; new bike, not enough grease applied at assembly.
    I don't think it will sap energy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

One of the hydraulic disc brakes on my bike is problematic and always has been. It has been bled twice and goes back to working well, but within a few weeks it is spongy, pulls the whole way back to the handlebars, and completely ineffective. At the moment it won't even lock the wheel when pressed in fully.

I'm trying to find a place with a free spot to look at it but wondering if anyone knows what I am doing wrong in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

One of the hydraulic disc brakes on my bike is problematic and always has been. It has been bled twice and goes back to working well, but within a few weeks it is spongy, pulls the whole way back to the handlebars, and completely ineffective. At the moment it won't even lock the wheel when pressed in fully.

I'm trying to find a place with a free spot to look at it but wondering if anyone knows what I am doing wrong in the meantime?

I find that nothing is ever certain in the dark art of bleeding brakes but that sounds like there’s a leak causing air to get into the system slowly, once the brakes are used. Could just be a line or fitting isn’t quite tight enough or faulty possibly, maybe a o-ring somewhere. The fact that one brake is fine tells me it’s not down to something you are doing.

You’ve also reminded me to re bleed my rear brake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I find that nothing is ever certain in the dark art of bleeding brakes but that sounds like there’s a leak causing air to get into the system slowly, once the brakes are used. Could just be a line or fitting isn’t quite tight enough or faulty possibly, maybe a o-ring somewhere. The fact that one brake is fine tells me it’s not down to something you are doing.

You’ve also reminded me to re bleed my rear brake :D

Thanks - I had in my head a leak in the cable for some reason but you must be right with a connector or fitting somewhere. Did a mini bleed (bleeding through the shifter only) tonight which seems to have worked well for now & will get me through tomorrow's group ride but will get it back to a shop whenever I find one that will take it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Maybe some dirt in a seal? But if there an air leak leak I'd expect to see some dampness.
    The obvious stuff: Check the banjo connections. Check push rod seal on the master cyl. Remove the lever if necessary. Remove the pads to check the piston seals.
    A clean and some brake grease on piston sides might help. Check the bleed nipple . Was it over-tightened in the past?
    Was the correct brake fluid used? Is the level too low?

I know little about hydraulic bike brakes, any recommended brands of fluid or pads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Hi,

Hoping for a pointer in the right direction, I want to give a bike a facelift with a new coat of paint. Any advice on what type and where I could get it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Hear good things about spray.bike

it's not an easy thing to do well without a complete stripdown of the bike, is that something you've got any experience of?

• Advertisement

it's not an easy thing to do well without a complete stripdown of the bike, is that something you've got any experience of?

Honestly, stripping and rebuilding a bike is not that big a deal. Take your time, bag and label stuff as it comes off, and take plenty of pictures. It ain't rocket surgery :D

Advertisement