Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Only Fools & Horses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

“ I told them not to have the mutton vindaloo “

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yeah, this keeps coming up throughout this thread. People who assume loads of other people will be offended by it, but nobody has actually said they think it's offensive.

I maintain that calling the mucic the black lads we playing "monkey music" is probably objectively offensive, but apart from that I don't think anyone has said they're actually offended by it.

I'm not complaining about people finding it offensive. I'm saying that there's bits people could find offensive nowadays. I'm saying that this didn't detract from the overall wholesome sentiment of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There's quite a few jokes in there (especially early episodes) that would offend people if they were made today.

You know yourself there's people out there who love to get offended.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

There's quite a few jokes in there (especially early episodes) that would offend people if they were made today.

And they're people out there who seek out people expressing offense at something and then spend their time whinging f*cking endlessly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I wonder if any irish got offended by Del Boy’s comment as he passed a cement mixer and called it an irish tumble dryer lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

And they're people out there who seek out people expressing offense at something and then spend their time whinging f*cking endlessly about it.
    Full circle

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Guess the episode :)

Hole in one just before Albert did his tony jacklin impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm not complaining about people finding it offensive. I'm saying that there's bits people could find offensive nowadays. I'm saying that this didn't detract from the overall wholesome sentiment of the show.

Yeah. Evidence so far us that absolutely nobody has been offended but plenty have assumed that others would be offended.

The evidence is that people take it in the same spirit that you do.

Yeah and the evidence is that there are loads more people who will imagine people taking offence, and give out about it.

This thread has loads of people complaining about Snowflakes who would take offence. Absolutely no posters have expressed offense. So the people actually taking offense are completely unnecessary for lots of people to complain about all these imaginary complainants.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I wonder if any irish got offended by Del Boy’s comment as he passed a cement mixer and called it an irish tumble dryer lol

They did a few Irish jokes.

The owner of the shamrock pub needed to think about something and Albert said "that shouldn't take long".

There were a couple of Irish jokes when in the episode with Brendan o Shoughnasy. There was a famine joke in there too.

Nobody mentioned being upset by it so far.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Evidence so far us that absolutely nobody has been offended but plenty have assumed that others would be offended.

The evidence is that people take it in the same spirit that you do.

ED I don't know why you're replying like this to my posts. I never said people are offended in it I said people might find it offensive and people "could find offensive". I was never referring to the views of others but rather my own analysis of some of the jokes. Maybe take it up with the people who are talking about people taking offence?

ED I don't know why you're replying like this to my posts. I never said people are offended in it I said people might find it offensive and people "could find offensive". I was never referring to the views of others but rather my own analysis of some of the jokes. Maybe take it up with the people who are talking about people taking offence?

You've invoked the same sentient as loads of other posters. I was commenting on the prevalence of the sentiment and the complete absence of evidence for it. It's interesting. That's all.

You've invoked the same sentient as loads of other posters. I was commenting on the prevalence of the sentiment and the complete absence of evidence for it. It's interesting. That's all.

It's certainly interesting. I agree with you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Why are the first 3 seasons only on Netflix? What's the likelihood they'll put on the rest?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It might sound weird given some of the subject matter but my memories of watching that show were wholesome ones. People might say it was offensive nowadays, however, the underlying sentiments conveyed in the program were anything but.

I've never heard anyone say it's offensive. Like, there's an episode of Fawlty Towers where Basil and the major are debating the right slur to use for Indians and I don't recall anyone talking about that. I can't imagine that this has not be edited out now.

As I get older, I understand less and less why people moan about something from a show clearly intended for previous generations not being allowed nowadays as if this were some sort of scintillating new insight they've only just themselves realised. It's all over the place and it's depressing hearing people who otherwise have very little to moan about say this as if it means the show can't exist or something when it's widely available for streaming.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Trigger by far one of the best comedy characters ever written.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Trigger by far one of the best comedy characters ever written.

Agreed. I love how the other characters never get used to him despite most of them having known him since childhood.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Did anyone else watch that and wish they lived in London growing up? I was always struck by how diverse it was, while having a strong sense of community.

That said, Peckham as represented there is unrecognisable today as is a lot of London. Gentrification has made even the roughest estates nearly unaffordable.

I've never heard anyone say it's offensive. Like, there's an episode of Fawlty Towers where Basil and the major are debating the right slur to use for Indians and I don't recall anyone talking about that. I can't imagine that this has not be edited out now.

As I get older, I understand less and less why people moan about something from a show clearly intended for previous generations not being allowed nowadays as if this were some sort of scintillating new insight they've only just themselves realised. It's all over the place and it's depressing hearing people who otherwise have very little to moan about say this as if it means the show can't exist or something when it's widely available for streaming.

I think you have to separate the reason people moan about things into motives. Some people just like to be offended. Not that I've personally heard anything about Only Fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Couple of bits, like any 80s show, wouldn't go down well now.

Del going on about AIDS and "bandits", "some mush called JA-SON" etc in the episode when hes sick.

Albert complaining about not being able to get credit from "that Paki".

Del in A Losing Streak talking about "only Provo weight watcher in London” which the BBC made them clumsily dub over "only genuine weight watcher in London”.

But nothing too severe in any of that. Sign of the times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Andrew00 wrote: »
    One of the best TV shows every made.

Wouldn't get away with making it now due to the PC Climate Change snowflake brigade

What the hell has Climate Change got to do with it? Nice shoehorn. And I've seen much less "PC" stuff on the telly in the many years after OFAH. Mock The Week, Have I Got News For You, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, 8 out of 10 cats (Does Countdown).

Sh1t look at Derry Girls. Every second sentence out of their mouths is un-PC. Are you trying to say OFAH was crasser than that? Was it bollocks.

I think you have to separate the reason people moan about things into motives. Some people just like to be offended. Not that I've personally heard anything about Only Fools.

It's just tiresome seeing grown men clog up these threads with exactly the same whiny drivel over and over again. Look at the start of this thread for instance. Thankfully, most people just want to share clips and talk about how wonderful this show was.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I only ever watched fools and horses the odd time here and there, never seen all the episodes but watching it on netflixs atm and just saw this episode

Bloody brilliant !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I only ever watched fools and horses the odd time here and there, never seen all the episodes but watching it on netflixs atm and just saw this episode

Bloody brilliant !

I think thats the episode with the line "There's no calories in weed killer" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That damn elusive Sha-a-dow :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

There's actually 7 seasons? but netflixs only have 3 and specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Very entertaining. That and Morse, what contrasts, but still, the old ones are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Andrew00 wrote: »
    One of the best TV shows every made.

Wouldn't get away with making it now due to the PC Climate Change snowflake brigade
    it's health and safety gone mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Riddle101

That damn elusive Sha-a-dow :D

I remember I had this episode on VHS years ago. It ended up becoming one of my favorite episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I remember I had this episode on VHS years ago. It ended up becoming one of my favorite episodes.

Brilliant episode.

"There's no need to steal" :):):)

Advertisement