Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Being GANKED in a game

• 23-05-2020 6:07am

Being GANKED is when a player is killed off by another player for no reason just because they can do the kill.

A thing in Elite Dangerous.

Have you ever been GANKED or know someone else in real life who was GANKED. A lot of built up credit can be lost by being killed like this.

Name the game too.

Do you know any Gankers? No doxxing though, mods might shut down thread sooner if you do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Eve Online.

/end thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Gank squads are a thing in Dark Souls. You summon two people, wait to be invaded and kill the invader.

In Dark Souls 2 DLC, there is actually a boss fight that is a gank squad. Felt like a "How do you like it?!" joke by the game designers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Main reason I never really bothered with GTA Online was being killed by randomers. Could spend ages trying to even get into the Online mode (when it first released), and all of a sudden someone places a bounty on you for no reason. Got tired of it quickly and never bothered going back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

When there was an option I'd play on the PVP servers on MMOs and do it. Remember doing it a lot in star wars old republic as I played a stealthy character so could sneak up, on that there were 2 factions so the PVP server it was part of it. A lot too back in DayZ and all the survival games but there at least there was a reason so wouldn't really count it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Ganked at Molten Core entrance in WoW vanilla was always a little annoying especially the long walk back and raid waiting on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

DayZ,gank fest.

Really enjoyable though,I was ganked loads but happily admit I was ganker on many an occasion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

This thread reminds me of Fidelma "fraping" Healy Eames.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

xieann wrote: »

Have you ever been GANKED or know someone else in real life who was GANKED. A lot of built up credit can be lost by being killed like this.

Name the game too.

Do you know any Gankers? No doxxing though, mods might shut down thread sooner if you do.

This seems weird. I don't know how ganking works in Elite Dangerous and Eve Online, i assume you can lose in game items which have a real world cost and may have taken you alot of time to earn. Ask if we know any gankers or if we know someone who was ganked in real life sounds strange to me.

Most of my time at level 60 in Vanilla World of Warcraft was spent ganking people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Never heard this term before, just used to call it PK [player kill] - It was pretty rampant back in the earlier online days, I used to play a lot of Phantasy Star online on the Dreamcast and players would use Gameshark discs with cheats to enable PK and also steal all of your inventory - which was a huge part of that game, collecting gear. It was also a thing in World of Tanks, until they put a stop to friendly damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I know some *ankers but I don’t know any gankers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I just feel so old.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Never gaanked or been ganked, in ED i always managed to escape. in Dayz I usually had a bigger gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

League has ganking but it's basically tag teaming/outnumbering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Eve Online.

/end thread.

Heh, Escape from Tarkov says hello :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I play WoW, still, on a PvP realm... well, when we had them. I keep War Mode on instead... and I've been ganked plenty of times. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

In games where your givin the option to PvP can you still call it ganking?

Elite Dangerous as an example,private and solo modes exist,you have the option to enter PvE servers with groups so surely if you volunteer for that open world experience you have to expect PvP?

Can you then give out when you get killled? For me it would be a no

That's why I loved DayZ mod,when I was geared what else would I have to do? I expected PvP as that was part of the tension that made it great,cant see s*** at night,hear another player somewhere around,sweaty palms etc

I must try Tarkov,it seems to have every aspect I like in these types of games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I'm pretty sure the term 'ganking' came to prominence in WoW. It was short for gang killing where a few players would gang together and deliberately target low level characters. They would also corpse-camp (basically, not allow you to respawn or if you did they would wait for you to and then kill you again) you repeatedly and by being in a gang they could hunt you down if you tried to get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Falthyron wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the term 'ganking' came to prominence in WoW.

Pft, no. Had gankfests in Ultima Online way back in '97!

Advertisement