Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marmite - WTF to do with it??

• 22-05-2020 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi,

So, in a moment of lockdown madness I bought a jar of Marmite. I've never tasted it before and am wondering what does it work well in / on? I know toast is the obvious one but would like to know how others use it in cooking?

May love it / hate it, still on the fence!

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It works as an umami boost in nearly anything. I would use it in darker stews, chilis, beef/lamb curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I love marmite, its my breakfast staple on toast and in a sandwich with a lot of butter.

Its great to cover potatoes to roast without using excessive oil and they still color.

I add it to gravies/stews/lamb & beef curries if it lacks flavor, its a great option if you feel its missing something but cannot quite figure out what. Pair it with a splash of worcester sauce to take it up a level.

Roast chicken is another option to cover the skin, this creates a crispy skin and the flavors add to the gravy taste.

BBQ marinade, marmite, brown sugar, mustard, white wine vinegar, soy sauce. Great with wings or legs!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Teaspoon in gravy is great. (I make a vegan base for shepards pie w/ a heaped teaspoon of marmite, and it gives it that bit more richness).

The OH is obsessed w/ marmite peanut butter, and you can mimic it w/ a thin layer of marmite and then some peanut butter on top (not a fan, the bitter aftertaste isn't for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Tree wrote: »
    Teaspoon in gravy is great. (I make a vegan base for shepards pie w/ a heaped teaspoon of marmite, and it gives it that bit more richness).

The OH is obsessed w/ marmite peanut butter, and you can mimic it w/ a thin layer of marmite and then some peanut butter on top (not a fan, the bitter aftertaste isn't for me)

I love Marmite and I love peanut butter, but Marmite peanut butter is just bizarre. Still finished the jar in under 2 weeks though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

toast/ryvita smothered in peanut butter and then slathered in marmite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Marmite has 1750mg of monosodium glutamate in every 100g: more MSG than any other substance in the average British larder (a well-matured parmesan cheese might come a close second)
    I don't like marmite but love MSG, you can get it in Asian supermarkets. (the MSG in marmite is naturally occurring, just like in the cheese)

After salt the second main ingredient in Aromat is MSG. The pure stuff is cheaper though, and I would not want aromat in many things I add MSG to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Pretty much what everyone else said regarding sauces etc with two extra things.

1) add it to a tayto sandwich
    2) dip cheese in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sounds wrong but marmite on cucumber is really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Roald Dahl

The first time I tried Marmite I just did not like it all. I ended up giving the jar away.

A couple of years later we were away for the weekend and the hotel we were staying in had really cute little heart-shaped pots of Marmite at the breakfast buffet.

I tried it again on toast and fell in love. So, you may need to give it a couple of tries before you come around to it. :)

A while ago I made Guinness soda bread with a dollop of Marmite and had it with Guinness and Cheddar fondue, also with a big dollop of Marmite. We really enjoyed that. A fondue set from Habitat that was received many years ago as a present got its first outing with that.

If you end up developing a Marmite habit I can tell you that you can get it in hand luggage-size 70g jars, if you know where to look. I always bring one with me when going away.

They also do special edition jars every once in a while and you may end up collecting them! Actually, at one stage they had a Guinness edition, but that was unfortunately before my time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Guinness had their own equivalent until the 60s - https://www.guinntiques.com/gye.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

L1011 wrote: »
    Guinness had their own equivalent until the 60s - https://www.guinntiques.com/gye.aspx

and there was a ltd edition Guinness Marmite out about 10 years ago, but only in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Baked cheese and Marmite toasties.

Butter both sides of thick crusty brown bread - Lidl do a decent bloomer thats ideal.

Spread Marmite on the top surface.

Make a mix of onion, mayo (low fat as the normal makes just runs off when you bake it) and grated cheddar cheese, spread that on.

Place on pizza tray and bake for about 20mins. Warning Warning Warning you will burn you mouth eating these too fast.

You can also add the usual Pizza stuff on the top like sun dried tomatoes olives etc.

silver2020 wrote: »
    and there was a ltd edition Guinness Marmite out about 10 years ago, but only in the UK.

Ironically the vitamin B 12 also makes it a hangover cure but you'd need to eat a decent amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They sell a marmite cookbook in Dealz.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

When I’m waiting on my toast to toast I take the lid off the marmite and sniff it. I love it that much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Never heard of marmite peanut butter. My mind is blown!

I love Marmite, but a little goes a long way. Needs only bare scraping on toast. I find microwaving it for a few seconds before spreading helps thin it out and make it easier to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Marmite pasta.

Cook the pasta, once cooked and strained add a knob of butter and a spoon of Marmite, stir until melted and coats the pasta, add some cherry tomatoes that have been slightly roasted so they are soft and sweet, top with parmesan.

quickbeam wrote: »

I love Marmite, but a little goes a long way. Needs only bare scraping on toast. I find microwaving it for a few seconds before spreading helps thin it out and make it easier to spread.

I get through a large pot every week but I don't use any spread on toast just Marmite.

silver2020 wrote: »

The post above mine mentioned that which is why I mentioned GYE. Should have quoted it, oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Osborne wrote: »
    Marmite pasta.

Cook the pasta, once cooked and strained add a knob of butter and a spoon of Marmite, stir until melted and coats the pasta, add some cherry tomatoes that have been slightly roasted so they are soft and sweet, top with parmesan.
    That sounds nice!

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    I bought some a while back but wasn't impressed, I don't think the peanut butter they use is particularly good quality. I much prefer spreading the marmite and peanut butter separately.

Cheese and marmite sandwiches are quite nice.

Great spread on hot buttered crumpets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Alun wrote: »
    Cheese and marmite sandwiches are quite nice.

Great spread on hot buttered crumpets too.

M&S have a marmite cheese spread at the moment, it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

As well as the Guinness edition there is/was a vintage edition, too.
    If I remember correctly, I preferred the regular one.

As well as the Guinness edition there is/was a vintage edition, too.
    If I remember correctly, I preferred the regular one.

I remember that. Marmite XO with a black label. It was a bit stronger in flavour but not that much to warrant the extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

Nigellas Marmite Spaghetti recipe is delicious and pretty much made with stuff you’d have already...I use Package Parmesan though.!

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/spaghetti-with-marmite

I was going to start a new thread but thought as there was a recent Marmite thread then here would be as good as any.

There may be Marmite shortages due to the lack of beer brewing during the Covid-19 crisis.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53005434 .

I'll be honest and say I've stocked up just in case :o

Nooooooooooo!

Alun wrote: »
    Nooooooooooo!

Probably just a publicity stunt but you can't say you haven't been warned :)

Did notice that my local Dunnes was nearly out but thats nothing unusual.

• Advertisement

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Probably just a publicity stunt but you can't say you haven't been warned :)

Did notice that my local Dunnes was nearly out but thats nothing unusual.
    Off to Tesco ASAP!

Advertisement