Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perceptions about Ireland that people just assume but aren't true

Options
  • 22-05-2020 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Idea that we are all somehow educated and worldly because we go to Vancouver, London, New York and Sydney. Irish people do this strange thing whereby we seem to compare our national intelligence to British Yobs on tour and use that to pat ourselves on the back. Like most things in Ireland it's a low bar to set.

That begrudgerly on exists in Ireland. As if around the world rich people and successful people are idolised. This seems to come from Bono's quote when comparing Ireland to America. I got his point but misses the point

Ireland is corrupt or a kip.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

edit: probably misinterpreted the last line based on the first...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

That we are all nice, friendly with a great sense of humour!

I have met, worked with some absolute disgusting human beings with extreme narcissistic personality disorders. People who are vile and obnoxious and horrible to anybody who is not in their circle. (And even in their circle)

Other than them, we are deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

That our population is about 400. Very common myth with the insular Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

L1011 wrote: »
    If you think Ireland is corrupt, you haven't managed to compare it to anywhere.

The stuff that TDs have gone to prison for here wouldn't make a councillor on the take in a UK city blush.

Try getting a basic planning application through in a small town anywhere in Southern Europe without a bribe. Not an issue here.

You've managed to give your own untrue perception in the opening post. Congratulations.

I think you missed the point

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Leprechaun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That we are always on the drink.
    In both the US and the UK people drink more often morning and lunch time for example

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    I think you missed the point

Probably. Based on the first line I thought it was a statement not a perception. Shall nuke the post in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

cj maxx wrote: »
    That we are always on the drink.
    In both the US and the UK people drink more often morning and lunch time for example

This - the fact they think we drink drink drink and they still have the neck to think they’d take any of us Irish pint for pint. American bravado is a big player but put any yank in front of me and they’ll be passed out with a pants full of **** and piss before I even contemplate calling it a night....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That we're religious (not true) and tend to settle into old tradition and routines too easily (bang on the money).

We're intelligent in debate (most Irish people I know will back down from discussion in order to just keep the peace - in person, anyway).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The perception that the Irish are interested in literature and the arts in general. The majority are not. In fact many Irish are downright unashamed philistines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's a myth all Irish people are heavy drinkers
    In the last ten years many pubs closed down. There's a coffee shop on every street. Not every Irish person is friendly. Apart from schools the church has little infuence
    Most young people do not go to mass. Irish people
    are similar to young people in America. Everyone takes selfies most young people are on some social media
    They use similar dating apps. We are very influenced
    by American media TV and music. Most hotels and cafes
    are staffed by non nationals at least in urban areas

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The perception that the Irish are interested in literature and the arts in general. The majority are not. In fact many Irish are downright unashamed philistines.

Music, no. Everything else (especially visual art) absolutely, yes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

This.

Eskimos

Staring at paintings or reading books don’t pay the bills or rent - much like doing a college course in the “orts” is code word for being a useless sponging bastard who can’t face the real world of holding down a job or paying bills without government subsidised welfare payments. The “artistes” tend to have a very romanticised and deluded view of their place in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Staring at paintings or reading books don’t pay the bills or rent - much like doing a college course in the “orts” is code word for being a useless sponging bastard who can’t face the real world of holding down a job or paying bills without government subsidised welfare payments. The “artistes” tend to have a very romanticised and deluded view of their place in the world.

Lol. Land of poets and scholars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

We do drink a fair bit and we are especially big on binging. 2 naggins before even going out is common and our most popular tourist attraction is a brewery.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That our population is about 400. Very common myth with the insular Americans.

And that everyone knows every single one of the other 399.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

So there's no point in having an interest or hobby if you can't make money from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Zaph wrote: »
    And that everyone knows every single one of the other 399.
    Christ the Aussies are like that.
    Aussie: Where are you from?
    Paulie: I'm Irish.
    Aussie: Really, I used to work with an Irish guy. Mmmm, he was tall, brown hair I think his name was something Murphy. You might know him.
    Paulie: Is it John.
    Aussie: Ya that's it do you know him?
    Paulie: Ya he's my cousin.
    Aussie: Really. Nice fella.
    Paulie: You're a ****ing moron.
    Rinse and repeat almost daily with those dopes down there. I think being upside down makes the blood rush to the brain and damages it.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    So there's no point in having an interest or hobby if you can't make money from it?

There’s no point in choosing “orts” for a college course if you end up as a government artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What point are you making?

YFlyer wrote: »
    What point are you making?

The point is choosing an arts degree might as well be an early sign up for the dole- that’s where most of them end up anyway when they realise the qualification isn’t worth a shake of a bad **** in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Red hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

This - the fact they think we drink drink drink and they still have the neck to think they’d take any of us Irish pint for pint. American bravado is a big player but put any yank in front of me and they’ll be passed out with a pants full of **** and piss before I even contemplate calling it a night....

I heard yee Irish can drink a whole six pack.

Yeah when getting ready before heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Top o the morning to ya
    Arrgh I have never in my 40 years heard an Irish person say this and if I did I'd deck them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Ireland is corrupt or a kip.

It kind of is.

People think the landscape is great. But honestly you can see more amazing landscapes in North America.

Better buildings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The point is choosing an arts degree might as well be an early sign up for the dole- that’s where most of them end up anyway when they realise the qualification isn’t worth a shake of a bad **** in the real world.
    Bull****. I know many people an arts degree doing very well.

Langers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That we had a famine.

Advertisement