Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommended Running books?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

KSU wrote: »
    If you liked that and can get your hands on it check out inside a marathon. A book produced by the same team (NAZ elite)

It’s basically a training log from both coach and athlete perspectives independently in his build up to top 10 finish in NYC marathon.

Hard to get KSU, but looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

echancrure wrote: »
    Hard to get KSU, but looks good.

I think it’s in kindle now in Amazon.

Thankfully I had a kind sole to redirect from a US address to allow me order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I really enjoyed listening to Paul Tonkinson’s book ‘26.2 miles to happiness’ on Audible over the past few days, very well written, he’s a comedian and Runners world columnist who charts his quest for a sub 3 marathon at London,

Read the book myself, very good read with some great humour added in from Tonkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Beyond Impossible by Mimi Anderson

Story of a woman's journey from an eating disorder to doing some big big endurance races. Nothing training wise within it but it's a nice story that I enjoyed.
    If you liked that and can get your hands on it check out inside a marathon. A book produced by the same team (NAZ elite)

It’s basically a training log from both coach and athlete perspectives independently in his build up to top 10 finish in NYC marathon.

Only covered the first few weeks of the training log in this book but it's very interesting to see the different perspectives of the athlete and coach as it's progressed.

I really enjoyed listening to Paul Tonkinson’s book ‘26.2 miles to happiness’ on Audible over the past few days, very well written, he’s a comedian and Runners world columnist who charts his quest for a sub 3 marathon at London,

Finished both of these and enjoyed both.

Anymore recommendations? 80/20 still on the reading list but waiting till after current training block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

py wrote: »
    Finished both of these and enjoyed both.

Anymore recommendations? 80/20 still on the reading list but waiting till after current training block.

Do you have a reference for that NAZ book?

echancrure wrote: »
    Do you have a reference for that NAZ book?

Here it is on goodreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The new book called’The lost art of running’ is really good

The new book called’The lost art of running’ is really good

Thank you for giving me the name of this. I'd heard about it on a podcast I was listening to when running but couldn't remember what podcast series/episode it was or the name of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Currently reading 'Sonia, My Story'. It's not a new (2008 I think) but I can't put it down, so interesting reading all that went on in the background in the 80's and 90's and her thoughts on *those* Chinese as well as the pure crap the BLE put our Athletes through back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Excellent article in the Indo today on the great Frank O’Mara and his battle with Parkinson’s disease..

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Really enjoyed Deena Kastor's book 'Let your mind run' - great insight into the mental as well as the physical side of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

"The Science and Practice of Middle and Long Distance Running"

Will be buying this soon and apologies can't post links. Seems to be on sale from June but amazon seem to have it now. Has anyone read it yet?

Contributions from "Tergat" (boards username, not the real Tergat) so a must have for my collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I've been really enjoying Mark Coogan's Personal Best Running. I've yet to try the plans out but they look both challenging and varied with a lot of flexibility in terms of weekly mileage. There are plans for everything from the mile to the marathon so it could potentially get a lot of use. I like the fact that the shorter distances have six week plans as well as the more standard twelve. I'll probably jump into one of them in the weeks ahead as I've got a couple of free months before marathon training starts.

It's a very readable book and is full of running lore and wisdom from his own racing days and from the experience of the runners he's coached. John Tracey gets several mentions and clearly made an impression on him.

Advertisement