Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mini Kegs

• 14-12-2017 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know where I could get mini kegs, specifically Heineken. Carry Out in Tyrellstown had them last year, but they've not been getting any stock since the new year.

anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Haven't seen Heineken ones. SuperValu has Hobgoblin ones and Mont has some in its webshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Bumping this thread with the same question, recently bought a keginator that takes 5 litre mini kegs and wondering where the value is in purchasing these mini kegs.

It seems a licence is required if I wanted to import them and even at that I understand couriers don't deliver, advise appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

loads of the craft breweries have just started releasing these this week

loads of the craft breweries have just started releasing these this week

Must be why I saw some White Hag 5ltrs in a pub near me today.
    They didnt price up any of the new stuff so I wont know until tomorrow how much they cost. There was only the session and the New England. I've often bought the NE so I'd definitely be interested.

Are they popping up in Off Licenses or just pubs?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Are they popping up in Off Licenses or just pubs?
    Off licences too.

• Advertisement

Have not seen these, where stocks them and curious as to pricing.

Do you fit them in the fridge or have to drink the beer warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I bought a White Hag Session IPA one yesterday for €38. Its not actually that great value when the same cans are 4 for 10 euro. The DIPA version was €50.

They had Hope ones for €36 earlier in the day, but sold them all.

€36 is too much, Heineken mini kegs in France are €15, I accept taxes etc etc.

I'm going to buy empty refillable kegs and put Coors in.

I will start mine in the freezer and then transfer to the keginator otherwise it takes maybe 20 hours to get beer to 3 degrees.

I'd still be interested in prices from other users of 5 litre keg systems.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Put Coors in from where? Can?

• Advertisement

Yes, load with cans, let settle, chill down then place in the keginator and pour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And you're expecting that to be different from cans from the fridge why?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »
    And you're expecting that to be different from cans from the fridge why?

Surely it's a wind up?

The pour system utilising the incorporated CO2 cartridge should provide a creamy finish, similar to the home brewers using mini kegs, not my first choice of course but the mini kegs all seem to be around €35 here and that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

pale rider wrote: »
    Bumping this thread with the same question, recently bought a keginator that takes 5 litre mini kegs and wondering where the value is in purchasing these mini kegs.

It seems a licence is required if I wanted to import them and even at that I understand couriers don't deliver, advise appreciated.
    any links to where you purchased your keginator please? I'm interested in buying one.

The pour system utilising the incorporated CO2 cartridge should provide a creamy finish, similar to the home brewers using mini kegs, not my first choice of course but the mini kegs all seem to be around €35 here and that's ridiculous.

A creamy finish on Coors?
    Surely it's a wind up?

I'd hope so!

any links to where you purchased your keginator please? I'm interested in buying one.

I bought a royal catering keginator on Amazon, search and there are several varieties available.

As to creamy finish on Coors, maybe frothy might be better, regardless I'm learning here and won't know until I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Surely you'll be just be adding back gas that was removed when you poured it into the keg in the first place?

That sounds right but if the lager improves on the tin even by appearance then I'd be happy, anybody doing this with a keginator ?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

There's no such thing as a keginator, you are thinking of a kegerator which is used by small, usually homebrew setups to dispense beer from soft-drink style cornie kegs via John Guest fittings.

You can buy a dispenser for mini kegs you put in the fridge:

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2775

Or one with integrated cooling:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Catering-Beer-Dispensers/dp/B087QFDG2G?ref_=s9_apbd_omwf_hd_bw_b3rSI5f&pf_rd_r=3E9VG6AFTZNB0EHJXS45&pf_rd_p=04030ee0-7efe-5a5a-9606-b56198119937&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=3538287031

Minikegs imported from the UK are a good bit cheaper.

Pouring cans of Coors into an empty minikeg doesn't make any sense.

• Advertisement

I bought the Royal catering one you posted a link to.

The Coors was an idea that I see from the opinions is unlikely to work but I'll give it a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the opening on the kegs makes the pouring of carbonated beer from a can into these kegs seem like a fairly silly exercise.

The CO2 bulbs are not for carbonating the beer, they are to aid with dispensing. You will end up dispensing flat beer with this plan.

The Heineken and other commercial minikegs are shipped with already carbonated beer inside, homebrewers have to carbonate the beer in the keg too, and then use the bulbs to dispense the beer, and keep the beer fresher for longer.

Advertisement