Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use HUE as a Busylight

Options
  • 20-05-2020 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I would like if i could use my existing HUE setup as a busylight, when on a skype/teams/zoom meeting the light outside my office goes red and when not on a call if goes Green, yes i can use a simple switch or dot but i want automatic

Anybody seen something like this or have an idea how to create it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

How would you tie the light to zoom\skype etc? Or would it be a manual thing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

For a single application, like Skype, it may be possible but for a host of applications, no. The reason is for each one, you'll need to design and extract the logic that you are on a call and for each of these, it will differ greatly. Some systems don't output this information at all.

A switch, even a virtual one on your desktop, is the best solution.

Edit: As above, you could look at Zapier but Zapier doesn't scale well if you have a lot of calls. It can get pricey and it won't be instantaneous on lower plans.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cool idea, like the "On Air" lights you see in radio studios, etc.

Be very handy working at home at the moment.

I'd agree that the easiest way to do it would be a Philips Hue Wireless Switch on your desk. Create a scene that turns the light outside in the hall red. Perhaps have it do one of the Hue lights in your room too, so it is easy to know when you have it on or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

If the HA route doesn't work you could look at Blynclight. Bit pricy for the wireless option though, which is probably the one you need. I've used it in the past (I use the Blynclight Mini in the office now, as I no longer have a close door office), I hope you've better luck training your family to post attention to the lights than I've had with my coworkers...

https://eu.embrava.com/products/blynclight-wireless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Just read about presencelight. Might be what you are looking for.

https://github.com/isaacrlevin/PresenceLight

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

I was thinking if it was linked to the Jabra headset status it would cover all areas, teams/skype/phone etc...

I will give presence a go, looks good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

eusap wrote: »
    I would like if i could use my existing HUE setup as a busylight, when on a skype/teams/zoom meeting the light outside my office goes red and when not on a call if goes Green, yes i can use a simple switch or dot but i want automatic

Anybody seen something like this or have an idea how to create it?

Would a button on the desk not be easier to implement/control?

Smartthings smart button

Have it connected to a smart strip outside the door that goes green/red as required.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Davy wrote: »
    Would a button on the desk not be easier to implement/control?

Smartthings smart button

Have it connected to a smart strip outside the door that goes green/red as required.

Yes, though I'd use the Hue Wireless remote instead, cheaper, £17, works natively with Hue, no need for separate Smartthings hub and gives you four buttons rather then one. Would allow for more control and options.

but then i need to remember to press the switch :eek:

• Advertisement

eusap wrote: »
    but then i need to remember to press the switch :eek:

:) Yep that is why I'm going to put a Hue bulb in the desk side lamp too and hook it up to the routine as well, probably put it behind the monitor. That way a visual indicator to myself to remember to use it for the meetings.

The presence light app works well with teams, change status (manual or answer phone) and light changes

Advertisement