Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an ipa similar to Galway Hooker?

Options
  • 18-05-2020 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Had one of these last week and must say it was quite nice, anything similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's what Galway Hooker Pale Ale is a copy of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

cool thanks will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

BeerNut wrote: »

This as may be, but they are quite different.

Stuff like Howling Gale, Crafty Pale (and Rye River's other offerings in that category, Rosie's, Grafters), O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale would all be more in step with Hooker I think - they certainly have lower apparent hopping rates than SNPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

This as may be, but they are quite different.

Stuff like Howling Gale, Crafty Pale (and Rye River's other offerings in that category, Rosie's, Grafters), O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale would all be more in step with Hooker I think - they certainly have lower apparent hopping rates than SNPA.

Yeah, O Haras v similar to Hooker, more so than Sierra Nevada.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I found Kildare Brewing Little Soldier was along the lines of Galway Hooker. Metalman Pale Ale would also be a good one to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I've always thought that "Irish" Pale Ale is just a lighter coloured Irish Red.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've always thought that "Irish" Pale Ale is just a lighter coloured Irish Red.

I'd personally expect an "Irish Pale Ale" to be a 4-5% pale ale brewed with American hops.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'd personally expect an "Irish Pale Ale" to be a 4-5% pale ale brewed with American hops.
    Galway Hooker was first to use the term and it fits the description. O'Hara's was second, though theirs is 5.2% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BeerNut wrote: »

It's definitely not.

I've had this and it's very close to GH. It's also no surprise that Aidan from GH worked there for 2 years.

http://www.okells.co.uk/our-beers/bottled/india-pale-ale

Advertisement