Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home taps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭BullBauld

RasTa wrote: »

Is it just the gas you'd need for this then....along with fridge n keg.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

BullBauld wrote: »
    Is it just the gas you'd need for this then....along with fridge n keg.
    Yes just the gas. It's either a fridge or a cooler but not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Strip

For Guinness you need a different tap then for lager , it’s the small black end on the tap that’s different.
    There is also different gas for Guinness and lager . The Guinness gas will work for both but the lager gas won’t work with the Guinness.
    The cooler are the same but lager is served colder the Guinness, so you put lager through the same cooler twice.
    The keg couplers are the same for Guinness, hop house , carlsberg and there is a different one for Heineken, coors light and Murphy .
    Guinness will last about 2 to 3 months after best before date if stored correctly but once connected about 3 weeks .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Strip wrote: »
    Guinness will last about 2 to 3 months after best before date if stored correctly but once connected about 3 weeks .
    Though presumably those are Diageo's rules for optimal Guinness. You don't need to be as fastidious if you aren't selling it. It won't suddenly "go off" like milk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

There is also different gas for Guinness and lager . The Guinness gas will work for both but the lager gas won’t work with the Guinness.
    The cooler are the same but lager is served colder the Guinness, so you put lager through the same cooler twice.

This isn't the case in most pubs anymore. Vast majority will have Guinness and lager all going through the same chiller, the "extra cold" lagers will go through again (or a 2nd chiller).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

For Guinness you need a different tap then for lager , it’s the small black end on the tap that’s different.
    The keg couplers are the same for Guinness, hop house , carlsberg and there is a different one for Heineken, coors light and Murphy .

Ah damn, I would prefer to have guiness on tap but the oh doesn't drink it so looks like we'll have to decide on a lager...

BeerNut wrote: »
    Though presumably those are Diageo's rules for optimal Guinness. You don't need to be as fastidious if you aren't selling it. It won't suddenly "go off" like milk.

Optimal Guinness is served before the best before date . But as I said it will last for 2 or 3 months if stored correctly.It doesn’t suddenly go off but 3 months after the best before is quit a long time .

irish_goat wrote: »
    This isn't the case in most pubs anymore. Vast majority will have Guinness and lager all going through the same chiller, the "extra cold" lagers will go through again (or a 2nd chiller).

Most pubs have a cool room but the cooler are separate for Heineken and Diageo products . But we aren’t talking about pubs we are on about the small under counter cooler that you would use in a home bar . For Guinness it goes through the cooler once and for lagers it goes through it twice. Because lager and Guinness should be served at different temperatures.

Alkers wrote: »
    Ah damn, I would prefer to have guiness on tap but the oh doesn't drink it so looks like we'll have to decide on a lager...

If you use hop house or carlsberg you can use all the same equipment apart for the tap .
    Heineken has a different connection to the keg .
    So might be best to set up for a Hop house or carlsberg and it’s a simple swap to Guinness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

3 months after the best before is quit a long time .
    For a low-hop dark beer it really isn't. You can add a few years to that and nobody would mind except Diageo's sales team and shareholders.

• Advertisement

For a low-hop dark beer it really isn't. You can add a few years to that and nobody would mind except Diageo's sales team and shareholders.

Cheers , every day is a school day .ðŸ»ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tasted a craft nitro stout that had been tapped for about 8 weeks. Delicious.
    Tasted a freshly tapped keg of the same beer and found it bland.
    I think I like old, slightly sour stout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

getting closer to a pint of Guinness :)

Have tap, lines, gas,
    Regulator will arrive tomorrow
    Will pick up keg over the weekend.
    Accidentally shipped coupler to work when paying with paypal, so will have to orchestrate a reason to go into the office to collect it

Collected Keg this evening from a local offie. It’s just about still in date which is fine with me. But was talking to the owner and he was saying he is not able to get more kegs. So this may be my only one. So if you are planing on getting one it would be worth getting one sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elmijjo

Hi Boscoirl. Im in the process of setting up myself. Did you go for the 30L or 50L keg?? Just wondering because i am on the look out for a fridge right now and i am pretty surel that the 50L will fit in a standard undercounter fridge.

elmijjo wrote: »
    Hi Boscoirl. Im in the process of setting up myself. Did you go for the 30L or 50L keg?? Just wondering because i am on the look out for a fridge right now and i am pretty surel that the 50L will fit in a standard undercounter fridge.

Went for the 50L, not sourced a fridge yet but where I am going to store the keg at the moment is going to be cool enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elmijjo

sorry i meant i dont think the 50L wont fit. Good stuff, hope it works out well for you

Have all the kit set up, keg tapped and everything.

one small hiccup is the regulator shows flow and not PSI, so its going to be a bit of trial and error to get everything right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Wil hopefully have movement on my own stuff come Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

https://brewcrew.ie/collections/equipment/products/pygmy-25-k

Irish company selling that at an decent enough price. Takes up a lot less space and I've seen those taps pouring Guinness over here, they sell the upgrade but €90 seems expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

It's not a full home draft setup but if you're in Cork 9 White Deer brewery have partnered up with iKegger and are doing fills of their kegs. The iKegger kits have 10 and 5 litre kegs so you don't have to get full size kegs.

There's a bit on their site about it
    https://www.9whitedeer.ie/shop/

Here's a video of the stout one -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpaqSO4ifzE

I'd be really tempted if I lived down there.

RasTa wrote: »
    https://brewcrew.ie/collections/equipment/products/pygmy-25-k

Irish company selling that at an decent enough price. Takes up a lot less space and I've seen those taps pouring Guinness over here, they sell the upgrade but €90 seems expensive

Cant imagine this is 10k worth of kit.
    https://brewcrew.ie/collections/equipment/products/one-keg-direct-draw-kegerator-beer-dispenser-black

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭endainoz

I was looking for an easy way to clean the lines, I see hand pump type things are used in America quite a bit but don't see them here, all I see are the crazy expensive pressurized containers. I have a compressor if there was any type of attachment I could use for it?

Also I have a retailer that has kegs in stock but have been out of date since mid April, these are Guinness keg's, would they be ok?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

endainoz wrote: »
    Also I have a retailer that has kegs in stock but have been out of date since mid April, these are Guinness keg's, would they be ok?

Aye it'll be fine.

With regards to line cleaning, can you detach the lines easy enough on both ends?

irish_goat wrote: »
    Aye it'll be fine.

With regards to line cleaning, can you detach the lines easy enough on both ends?

Yeah indeed I can, the line is very short for the system I want to make. In fact I was just going to replace the beer lines with new ones anyways. The main part I want to clean is the inside of the cooler itself.

I ran some air through it yesterday to see if there was anything still inside it and some 20 year old Guinness came out and it was one of the most horrendous smells I have ever came across! It was as that point that I decided I needed to give a proper deep clean to the pipes inside the cooler itself.

I priced a cleaning bottle for 95 euro and detergent for 40 euro, is there any cheaper options available?

I almost have everything set up now, including a way to clean things. Could anyone tell me the correct psi for stout gas? I know it can be adjusted easily but just wondered if it was different for stout gas rather than larger gas.

its about 35-38PSI afaik,

there is a science to it depending on the temp, length of the beer line and the height difference from the keg to tap, but its confusing, so I set mine to 36PSI and its fine

• Advertisement

Boscoirl wrote: »
    its about 35-38PSI afaik,

there is a science to it depending on the temp, length of the beer line and the height difference from the keg to tap, but its confusing, so I set mine to 36PSI and its fine

Great, thanks for the info! Just picking up the keg this evening and we'll be ready to go!

Advertisement