Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New road layout coming soon

• 08-03-2020 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

“New road layout coming soon” - this is what the sign says on the Mall just after the Tower Hotel.

I looked on the council website but found nothing about it. Anyone know what’s happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nope, given that only a short section of it is wide enough to accomodate three lanes of traffic it's hard to imagine what they will do to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I dread to think what they have planned.

At least it can't be any worse the the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Cycle and bus lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

fricatus wrote: »
    “New road layout coming soon” - this is what the sign says on the Mall just after the Tower Hotel.

I looked on the council website but found nothing about it. Anyone know what’s happening?

There's another one across from Mcdonalds on the cork road and another one somewhere else i think,i imagine its to do with the one way system on Bunkers hill/barracks st/mayors walk/browns lane/newgate st etc ,everything looks in place with new lights and road layouts

Plant pots - it's be massive plant pots with a selection of ornamental grasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Its the WIT - Waterford City Centre Green Route Corridor

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Is it the one way system for Mayors walk ,Brownes lane area as the tarmac and roadmarkings are all complete now?

Bards wrote: »
    Its the WIT - Waterford City Centre Green Route Corridor

How will that work I wonder, the one way loop going past Tesco and round to the Bath Street/Bunkers Hill traffic light junction is clearly not cycle friendly at all unless they stop traffic exiting Polberry onto that section.

Might they go against the traffic on Manor street with a barrier protected lane?

32Z5Q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

How will that work I wonder, the one way loop going past Tesco and round to the Bath Street/Bunkers Hill traffic light junction is clearly not cycle friendly at all unless they stop traffic exiting Polberry onto that section.

Might they go against the traffic on Manor street with a barrier protected lane?

32Z5Q.jpg

Cyclists can cycle up Manor Street, cycle lane both sides at the moment, can be dangerous early in the morning if you're not expecting a cyclist oncoming on a one way street

Quite I'd not go up that road on a bike, some drivers "wander" about as it's so wide now, needs proper delineation with a barrier high enough to be useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Gardner

the quay is grand only for people still think its a car park

Thew dopes published the PDF on it's side!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Is it mandatory on this forum to call anyone in council who makes any kind of slip up a "dope"?

Yes. As it betrays the level of competence afoot in the public sector. How hard is it to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

If coming up from New Street or John's Lane, and you want to go towards Mayors Walk - seems like there is a long way around, possibly leading them up Bunkers Hill? Judging from the PDF anyway.

Are the traffic lights necessary around Castle Street and Henesseys Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Yes. As it betrays the level of competence afoot in the public sector. How hard is it to check?

OK. How hard is it to press the rotate button? Difficult times, people working from home. Give a little.

iseegirls wrote: »
    If coming up from New Street or John's Lane, and you want to go towards Mayors Walk - seems like there is a long way around, possibly leading them up Bunkers Hill? Judging from the PDF anyway.

Are the traffic lights necessary around Castle Street and Henesseys Road?

Coming up Johns lane or New Street and if you want to go to Mayors walk yes you'll have to go up Bunkers hill now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Coming up Johns lane or New Street and if you want to go to Mayors walk yes you'll have to go up Bunkers hill now

Can’t see what is the point of forcing cars coming up New St to Ballybricken to have to go down Hennessey’s road, up Bunkers Hill and down Barrack St to the Mayor Walk. Instead of allowing them to go straight up Newgate St to the Mayor Walk. To me it is just creating a bottleneck on Bunkers Hill. Newgate St is even wide enough that two way traffic is not a problem. Why not use it and take pressure of the already busy Bunkers Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

BBM77 wrote: »
    Can’t see what is the point of forcing cars coming up New St to Ballybricken to have to go down Hennessey’s road, up Bunkers Hill and down Barrack St to the Mayor Walk. Instead of allowing them to go straight up Newgate St to the Mayor Walk. To me it is just creating a bottleneck on Bunkers Hill. Newgate St is even wide enough that two way traffic is not a problem. Why not use it and take pressure of the already busy Bunkers Hill?

A lot of cars aren't bothering with the new layout though! The amount of people ive seen swerve right around the traffic cone and on up to Mayors Walk is unreal. This is definitely one change too far I think and people will be chancing their arm at every opportunity.

• Advertisement

And add into it four sets of traffic lights now from New st to Barracks st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

A lot of cars aren't bothering with the new layout though! The amount of people ive seen swerve right around the traffic cone and on up to Mayors Walk is unreal. This is definitely one change too far I think and people will be chancing their arm at every opportunity.

They will end up putting something there to stop that. Even the other end of that new road has a tight turn. I dont know what the hell they were thinking when designing and building that.

And add into it four sets of traffic lights now from New st to Barracks st

Went this way today and its actually 5 sets of traffic lights!

Has anyone used this junction yet since the new layout? These lights have a rapid change so if you are dozing or someone else is only a few cars get through. I can see the potential for long tailbacks unless the lights at Hennessey's Road junction are very well timed they are lucky things are so quiet - which obviously wasn't planned!

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

AAH JESUS!!! I drove around the new layout today just to figure it out. I couldn't.
    Posting the PDF of the map on it's side is the least of this clusterfcuk. There's a little chicane turning left off Browns Lane onto Castle Street...OMG, can't wait to see the artics or even the rigid trucks servicing the new shopping centre manoeuvre their way around that one(whenever that opens :) )
    Alternatively you can drive on across Browns Lane onto Hennessys Road and try turning right up Convent Hill as we've been used to from coming up Castle Street up to now.
    BIG MISTAKE. Good job Thompson's funeral parlour is at the top of the road because there's going to be murder on the street. You drive 2/3 of the way up and you can't go any further - it's one-way down the way. Fine while there's a lad stopping people going up, for now, but once hes gone it will be bedlam, especially once the big funerals start up again or any major event in Mount Sion Centre after lock-down finishes.
    Is there someone scribbling this down on the back of an envelope in the Roads Dept. or do you need a degree in Town planning to come up with this ingenious design to encourage people out of their cars? :rolleyes:

AAH JESUS!!! I drove around the new layout today just to figure it out. I couldn't.
    Posting the PDF of the map on it's side is the least of this clusterfcuk. There's a little chicane turning left off Browns Lane onto Castle Street...OMG, can't wait to see the artics or even the rigid trucks servicing the new shopping centre manoeuvre their way around that one(whenever that opens :) )
    Alternatively you can drive on across Browns Lane onto Hennessys Road and try turning right up Convent Hill as we've been used to from coming up Castle Street up to now.
    BIG MISTAKE. Good job Thompson's funeral parlour is at the top of the road because there's going to be murder on the street. You drive 2/3 of the way up and you can't go any further - it's one-way down the way. Fine while there's a lad stopping people going up, for now, but once hes gone it will be bedlam, especially once the big funerals start up again or any major event in Mount Sion Centre after lock-down finishes.
    Is there someone scribbling this down on the back of an envelope in the Roads Dept. or do you need a degree in Town planning to come up with this ingenious design to encourage people out of their cars? :rolleyes:

Out of all the changes they made a one way system on Convent Hill is badly needed,why they went with what they did god only knows,it would make more sense if it was one way up from Hennessy's road,when Thompsons have a funeral in Ballybricken church across the road will they have to now go down the hill across Hennessy's road and up Bunkers hill and down Barracks street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Out of all the changes they made a one way system on Convent Hill is badly needed,why they went with what they did god only knows,it would make more sense if it was one way up from Hennessy's road,when Thompsons have a funeral in Ballybricken church across the road will they have to now go down the hill across Hennessy's road and up Bunkers hill and down Barracks street.
    Can they not use the entrance on Barrack St like they have been doing, funeral corteges never exit on the Convent Hill side.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Can they not use the entrance on Barrack St like they have been doing, funeral corteges never exit on the Convent Hill side.

Ah yeah never thought of that side!,still the system that they put in place makes no sense.

Advertisement