Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar kit for boat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Would this do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

If you want some small panels, Victron does a lot of boat equipment - also charge controllers. There are 100w panels out there, but you need two of them to get up to over 24v. If watts per € isn't the issue and you want small panels for aesthetic reasons look here. You could put two 20w panels in series to get your 24v.

Would this do the job

Looks like a 12v panel, dunno it's a picture not a datasheet and the charge controller is junk.

Here's a much better one

If you want some small panels, Victron does a lot of boat equipment - also charge controllers.

With all due respect Q that doesn't mean they are any good.
    Their chargers are lemons. They don't believe in remote temperature compensation for them either. They're built from second rate semi's and components and their failure rate is high by standards.

All they have is pricepoint and marketing. They make better pdfs than hardware and they're spending all the R&D money on advertising and giving away janky products to youtube content makers. :rolleyes:

MorningStar are the best. So bulletproof I only buy used ones and I've never had a problem with them.

Victron won't do this in a month of Sundays.

aWjhV3d.jpg

They're costing users battery life longevity for an insubstantial saving.

Would a 12v panel not be alright if I hooked it up to one battery it should charge the other one?

Not even if they were parallel

• Advertisement

Ah no.would two 12 volt panels give me 24.its not a weekend boat so it be getting plenty of use

2 x "12 volt" panels will give you about 36V...a lot of wasted power on PWM. Some advise going MPPT to "fix this". I advise using 60 cell panels and PWM, far less expensive and more efficient.
    If you intend to use it a lot don't get a small array.

Over 100W total will start being useful for power on demand.

If it's a liveaboard 100W for the fridge and 150W for the everything else I would consider minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

It would be helpful to know what boat we are talking about. I already asked this save us going round in circles.....?

They don't believe in remote temperature compensation for them either.

Wide range of temperature sensors here. They aren't included with charge controllers because many kits have other GX controllers or other components where this is managed, or increasingly use Li-ion which has its own control. But for lead acid, there is a choice of wired or bluetooth temperature sensing.

freddyuk wrote: »
    It would be helpful to know what boat we are talking about. I already asked this save us going round in circles.....?

Theres a picture on the thread

• Advertisement

Clicky

Wide range of temperature sensors here. They aren't included with charge controllers because many kits have other GX controllers or other components where this is managed, or increasingly use Li-ion which has its own control. But for lead acid, there is a choice of wired or bluetooth temperature sensing.

You're kindof reinforcing my point Q. Their small solar charge controllers do not have remote temp sensing. They measure their own heat sinks not the battery.

I can fabricate MS temp sensors with €0.50 thermistors.

I have never seen a Victron charge a battery further than 1.265 specific gravity. They rework them to add bluetooth but they still can't charge a battery right. :rolleyes:

Li-ion is not competitive. Explaination here.

They simply do not use their own products.
    For instance the BMV:

Too small to read without faddling.
    17 button presses to turn the backlight on and off.
    It's a 52mm gauge...automotive standard...Do you not think a blue light in a dashboard is very distracting...headlamp paranioa.
    It doesn't read greater than 100%...inaccurate, yet it keeps charging.
    The Shunt has two positive terminals..terrible idea.
    It is wired on UTP cable...is this durable and vibration resilient?

Chargers with a claimed 98% efficiency run between 60% and decimal efficiency.

Junk. Paying for a name and not much else.
    The inverters are not bad. The Combis I won't go near.

2 x "12 volt" panels will give you about 36V...a lot of wasted power on PWM. Some advise going MPPT to "fix this". I advise using 60 cell panels and PWM, far less expensive and more efficient.
    If you intend to use it a lot don't get a small array.

Over 100W total will start being useful for power on demand.

If it's a liveaboard 100W for the fridge and 150W for the everything else I would consider minimum.

Sorry what's pwm and mppt?

Theres a picture on the thread

Got it! Sorry.
    Here is mine. 30w 0n radar arch. Victron controller at 5amps. Does the job fine. You can get 24v panels but will be expensive. 2 x 30w would be cheaper.[IMG][/img]

No picture there.is yours charging 24v?

Sorry what's pwm and mppt?

Pulse width modulation is a simple topography that cannot use any voltage above the battery holding voltage. Cheap and cheerful, reliable.

Maximum power point tracking is a more complex and expensive technology that compensates for panel to battery mismatch, installer laziness and makes domestic panels accessable to 12v installations.
    In general it's 15% better than PWM when using 18V panels on 12v batteries or 36v panels on 24v batteries.
    It does enable the use of larger arrays through higher usable input voltages and current limiting.

PWM is better than MPPT when using 30V panels on 24v batteries.

PWM is adequate for your low demand needs, it's far more affordable.

Victron controller at 5amps. Does the job fine.

Have you ever measured your specific gravity Freddy or how have you ascertained this?

I can only check the voltage as its a sealed battery for a boat!!

No picture there.is yours charging 24v?

Image won't attach. This is 12v. As the instruments are all 12v that is fine.

I can only check the voltage as its a sealed battery for a boat!!

So not evidence that the charger works as it should then.

Try it on a flooded or open yer glued caps and get back to us please...or maybe hold back on unfounded claims?

So not evidence that the charger works as it should then.

Try it on a flooded or open yer glued caps and get back to us please...or maybe hold back on unfounded claims?
    To be fair, a controller can only read voltage, current and temperature, and do what it is told in its settings... hold the voltage at equalisation, bulk, or float for x minutes. It doesn't measure battery acidity which is really a measure of what the battery does under those conditions.

Disagree MorningStar work perfectly. And do 100% rated. My Victron 15A lemon charger only does 12.5A (after first 5 minutes..temp derating)

As I've mentioned Victron don't measure temperature...they just claim to.
    To be fair to be fair Victron are costing years of battery service through negligent algorithm. They rely on people to believe the marketing and not test the outcome. It works very well for them.
    The small inverter manuals don't even tell you how to properly earth them because that would look too complicated to protect users from electrocution....just don't bother is the message.

It's simple to charge a battery. Absorb until return amps = 0.

• Advertisement

And then they claim Lead is weak..buy expensive li-ion instead. Spoofers!

I ran some brief inverter tests today.

Here we have a 350VA Blue box.
    With a soldered ATO fuse on the motherboard.
    Victron did I not pay you enough for a fuse socket to make this serviceable item serviceable?
    Victron if you're gonna cheap out like a pro omit the fuse and let the installer fit a serviceable one externally!

513838.jpg

Here's a fanless externally fused MorningStar 300VA that can be programmed and metered.

513839.jpg

Hey MorningStar why dont you advertise more and give away products?

I haven't load tested the Victron, the Suresine will run a 700w angle grinder if you don't lean on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,822 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Didn't know about their SureSine inverters. If you come across a good deal steal on one on eBay that you're not buying, will you send us a PM? :)

And / or a ProStar for that matter. This one seems a good deal and a monitor (M) version too, but the shipping and import charges adding all up to near EUR90 are putting me off

Linky

Schlicktron, haha :D

Used 50hz 230V 'Murican made solid state inverters are rarer than hen's teeth Unkel I bought the only one that's appeared in 4 years.

Offer £45 on this
    ..I bought the sister for £55.

Offer £45 on this

He's looking for GBP145

He's hardly going to accept GBP45 though is he? :D

Edit - I wasn't paying attention. I saw yours is from the same seller. Let's see if I'll get this one at GBP55 too then, eh? :D

No response from seller to my offer. And now the item has been withdrawn. I guess someone else made a higher offer so.

They go for £60 to £90 once every 4 months. November is the best time to bag them.
    I'll PM any others I see. I'm at full completment right now. 1 Spare, 3 in service...
    Err anna Tristar MPPT, and two TriStar PWMs, and an EcoPulse PWM, and a ProStar MPPT, and a Prostar 12m.
    All used bargains, all working & knocking the socks off all the wannabes.

My batteries live forever. :pac:

Hows things got a 60w panel in the end well two 30w if I put them in series should be enough to charge two 12v batterys?here's pics I've 3 charge controllers which one would be best

Thanks for getting back to us, cheap & easy solution :) Out of interest, where did you get the parts (panels, controller, batteries) and what did you pay for them?

Should be fine to keep your batteries topped up when you are away, but won't do much towards actively using the batteries when you're on the boat for stuff more heavy duty than the likes of lights.

• Advertisement

70 sterling for the kit of e bay charge controllers where bought of e bay aswell.which charge controller would be best?

Advertisement