Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puddle of water under fridge freezer

Options
  • 26-04-2020 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Anyone got any advice on fixing a fridge freezer which seems to be leaking water.

When I open the freezer I see block of ice forming between the moulding are the bottom of the freezer. I break these off and they form again within 2 weeks.

I think when those blocks flow towards the seal on the freezer door it leaks out causing the puddles of water. This water is then being soaked up by the fitted units beside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

crookesa wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice on fixing a fridge freezer which seems to be leaking water.

When I open the freezer I see block of ice forming between the moulding are the bottom of the freezer. I break these off and they form again within 2 weeks.

I think when those blocks flow towards the seal on the freezer door it leaks out causing the puddles of water. This water is then being soaked up by the fitted units beside.

Is the freezer door closed properly

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

kippy wrote: »
    Is the freezer door closed properly

Yeah it seems to be that’s what I’m trying to work out. Would a break in the seal cause the water to be build up and ice over. I can see a trickle of water (now frozen) running down the back of the freezer to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Appliance repair is an essential service & many are still operating. Just in case you want to go down that route

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I suspect the problem with the fridge which is on top as a freezer physically cannot produce water as it turns to ice immediately in the volumes you are talking about.
    Open the door of fridge and pill out the bottom shelf, look at the back of the shelf and there is a drain shelf in the middle of this small shelf, just check this area clean and clean it with toothpick or something. Pour a little bit of water and see it goes away.
    This drain area takes any water that builds from constant opening closing into a little tray just over the condenser, the heat generated by the condenser evaporates the tiny amount involved. I have never had a fridge/freezer but they are likely the same.

I suspect the problem with the fridge which is on top as a freezer physically cannot produce water as it turns to ice immediately in the volumes you are talking about.
    Open the door of fridge and pill out the bottom shelf, look at the back of the shelf and there is a drain shelf in the middle of this small shelf, just check this area clean and clean it with toothpick or something. Pour a little bit of water and see it goes away.
    This drain area takes any water that builds from constant opening closing into a little tray just over the condenser, the heat generated by the condenser evaporates the tiny amount involved. I have never had a fridge/freezer but they are likely the same.

Thanks for all the replies. Here’s the model of the fridge freezer and some picture of the freezer.

There is no drain area in the bottom drawer of the fridge.

In my child like drawing there is a little lip below the bottom 2 vents and the blue line is where the water drips down. It pools in the yellow as blocks of ice between the plastic ridges and then I believe it leaks out where the green line is (still working that one out as the ice seems to end just there).

Not sure if these will helps or not.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. Here’s the model of the fridge freezer and some picture of the freezer.

There is no drain area in the bottom drawer of the fridge.

In my child like drawing there is a little lip below the bottom 2 vents and the blue line is where the water drips down. It pools in the yellow as blocks of ice between the plastic ridges and then I believe it leaks out where the green line is (still working that one out as the ice seems to end just there).

Not sure if these will helps or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szc_IPUs5Ak

It is almost certainly what i say, have a look at this.
    Different model but all have drain off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Your fridge is a frost free unit and to get to the drain opening you will have to undo the screws that hold the bottom panel in place, it may be frozen ice that is clogging it but it will have to be cleared maybe with a hairdryer if frozen,when you think it is clear check by pouring a small amount of hot water down the hole but don’t over do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stick a bit of wire or a cable tie down through the hole, and while your at it give the back a good clean out of dust.

@theredace Thanks I'll have to empty it to move it. Where is the hole, on the back behind the panel also? Is that panel on the base of the fridge of the back of the fridge?

@theredace Thanks I'll have to empty it to move it. Where is the hole, on the back behind the panel also? Is that panel on the base of the fridge of the back of the fridge?

When you remove the panel It should be directly under the freezing coils, if clogged up with ice you will have to defrost it, I would normally use a hairdryer to speed things up but be careful don’t let thawing ice near the dryer ,on the top pic it’s the two screws that are showing

• Advertisement

When you remove the panel It should be directly under the freezing coils, if clogged up with ice you will have to defrost it, I would normally use a hairdryer to speed things up but be careful don’t let thawing ice near the dryer ,on the top pic it’s the two screws that are showing

Ah ok so inside the freezer unit rather than outside it. I'll have a look at that the next few days. Makes more sense now too that's why it's building up inside. Would that drain also remove liquid from the fridge unit above as I can't seem to see one there either?

I opened that back panel do the freezer compartment and shown a few pictures along with video below.

I was unsure what I could hear to defrost without damaging the unit.

I also have attached pictures from the back of the
    You can see the drip tray is dry but there’s some rust where I would expect the drain to be. Any advice on how to proceed now would be great.

I opened that back panel do the freezer compartment and shown a few pictures along with video below.

I was unsure what I could hear to defrost without damaging the unit.

I also have attached pictures from the back of the
    You can see the drip tray is dry but there’s some rust where I would expect the drain to be. Any advice on how to proceed now would be great.

Here's the rest of the photos and video

Here's the video - https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1m5ni2brisga4p/IMG_1601.MP4?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

I had to repair my f/f recently, different brand, but looks very similar in layout.

My issue was that the fridge was not cooling. Caused by a component in the freezer failing, therefore the matrix was not defrosting, therefore the fan froze up and no cold air was getting blown into the fridge.

Is your fridge working normally ?

Was the matrix like that when you took the cover off, or did you have to defrost it ?

In pic 1606 the aluminum tray under the freezer coils collects the defrosting water ,a hose connected to this will take the water down to a tray often located over the head of the compressor where it drys off or to a pan to the side. You could try unblocking from underneath if it troublesome to remove the aluminum collecting tray that’s inside.

In pic 1606 the aluminum tray under the freezer coils collects the defrosting water ,a hose connected to this will take the water down to a tray often located over the head of the compressor where it drys off or to a pan to the side. You could try unblocking from underneath if it troublesome to remove the aluminum collecting tray that’s inside.

Thanks it seems to be that’s the aluminium tray has frozen water inside it and seems to also be settled into frozen water also.

Could I power it down and just take a hairdryer to all that section below the coils. Could I damage it the by applying heat to that section?

I presume it’s normally for some water to drop into that tray but how often should it fill up?

I had to repair my f/f recently, different brand, but looks very similar in layout.

My issue was that the fridge was not cooling. Caused by a component in the freezer failing, therefore the matrix was not defrosting, therefore the fan froze up and no cold air was getting blown into the fridge.

Is your fridge working normally ?

Was the matrix like that when you took the cover off, or did you have to defrost it ?

All those pics are as it was when I took the covers off. Everything is working fine just the leaking water out of the appliance from the build up of ice I presume in the video at the foot of the freezer section. It’s making its way through the seal.

I just wondering if I desfrost they aluminium tray and ensure the drain hole is clear. What’s stopping it building up like that again?

Thanks it seems to be that’s the aluminium tray has frozen water inside it and seems to also be settled into frozen water also.

Could I power it down and just take a hairdryer to all that section below the coils. Could I damage it the by applying heat to that section?

I presume it’s normally for some water to drop into that tray but how often should it fill up?

As I mentioned earlier it may need to be given a bit of heat if it is stuck with ice, it doesn’t collect water the defrosting water falls off the icy coils down onto it and to the outside via a hose. You could try a small amount of boiling water which might undo the blockage

I defrosted the freezer using heat gun and have taken all the water and ice out. As you can see in the picture I revealed a plug hole as expected. Even with all the ice gone and water removed with a cloth. I put a bit of boiling water down it and it just sits there.

I’ve tried using a long nail up the drip pipe in the 2nd pic. No joy in releasing the water from the freezer section to drain. I’ve also tried a nail down the drain from the freezer and can’t seem to unblock it.

Any other suggestions to free the drain? I presume when I pour water in it should it should flow freely into the drip tray below?

TIA

I defrosted the freezer using heat gun and have taken all the water and ice out. As you can see in the picture I revealed a plug hole as expected. Even with all the ice gone and water removed with a cloth. I put a bit of boiling water down it and it just sits there.

I’ve tried using a long nail up the drip pipe in the 2nd pic. No joy in releasing the water from the freezer section to drain. I’ve also tried a nail down the drain from the freezer and can’t seem to unblock it.

Any other suggestions to free the drain? I presume when I pour water in it should it should flow freely into the drip tray below?

TIA

As an update today I checked the freezer and the water I had poured into the drain was now in the evaporation tray. Maybe the drain only slowly releases the water?

If that’s the case would the freezer not freeze the water before it gets a chance to run down and causing me the same problem again of ice blocking the drain?

• Advertisement

Try a long cable tie usually does the job or if you have access to compressed air even better

Try a long cable tie usually does the job or if you have access to compressed air even better

I was able to get into the drain but it seemed solid whatever was in it. Didn't know if that was by design. If the nail didn't shift it I'm not sure how the cable tie will work. When I seen the water work it's water through overnight I was wondering if it was a slow release anyway and I was trying to get something out that was supposed to be there.

An inspection camera would be ideal to have a look!!!

I was able to get into the drain but it seemed solid whatever was in it. Didn't know if that was by design. If the nail didn't shift it I'm not sure how the cable tie will work. When I seen the water work it's water through overnight I was wondering if it was a slow release anyway and I was trying to get something out that was supposed to be there.

An inspection camera would be ideal to have a look!!!

You could put in a stent or use a power hose.

Seriously you appear to be looking in the freezer i think
    The water is coming from the fridge.
    There be no water in freezer just ice...

You could put in a stent or use a power hose.

Seriously you appear to be looking in the freezer i think
    The water is coming from the fridge.
    There be no water in freezer just ice...

There's no drain in my fridge and the water is definitely coming from the freezer if you look at some of the attachments on my previous posts in this thread.

It has definitely made a difference defrosting the freezer properly and ensuring all the build up of ice was removed. I just want to make sure any more water that accumulates drains out and doesn't freeze over again and blocking the drain causing me the same problem again.

Advertisement