Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Who'd have thought we would have a promising looking N64 emulator running on the PS Vita of all consoles!

Enter Daedalus X64 v0.2, while still in its infancy looks like it could have games running at full speed in the future, it just struggles with audio.

Also found a front end in development for Lighgun games called CO LightGuns (Coin Ops LightGuns).

It will be perfect with the Sinden Light gun but PS2 games will take some custom optimization depending on your system.

It will even support LaserDisc games like Mad Dog Mcree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Inviere

Nice finds! That Sinden Light Gun looks exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I really wish i'd backed one now!

Inviere wrote: »
    I use the MAME core within RetroArch (0.219 as of writing I believe, but works with the .220 files I have)....and use a built-in RetroArch shader.

Hey Inviere, just wondering which Retroarch shader you're using for games?

I'm messing about with Retroarch for systems like the NES / SNES etc.. for light gun games which will not be included in CO Lightguns.

Theres so many shader presets included with Retorach these days it might save me time trying to find a nice one.

Is there anyway of switching the shaders with a live preview of the emulator?

I'll have to redo the MAME settings and share them with you soon.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Hey Inviere, just wondering which Retroarch shader you're using for games?

I'm messing about with Retroarch for systems like the NES / SNES etc.. for light gun games which will not be included in CO Lightguns.

Theres so many shader presets included with Retorach these days it might save me time trying to find a nice one.

Is there anyway of switching the shaders with a live preview of the emulator?

I'll have to redo the MAME settings and share them with you soon.

The many different types, sizes, video outputs (open gl, vulkan, etc), resolutions (720p, 1080p, 2160p, etc) and quality of displays mean there's no real "that's the one!" shader for everyone. It'll depend on what looks best, for you, on your own screen. So start with a baseline shader that looks good initially, for me on a 42" 1080p panel that's crt-hyllian.glsl (so on Windows, that's Quick Menu, Shaders, Load Shader Preset, shaders_glsl, crt, crt-hyllian.glsl) using OpenGL as the main RetroArch display output.

For most, that shader might hit the sweet spot straight away...it looks great straight away I find. If you want to tinker with it, you can add passes, chain-load more shaders on further passes, etc...I'm not sure if there's a real time way of seeing the differences, but on Windows, it's quite close to it if you make a change, hit F1 & you're straight back into the game, hit F1 again, you're back in the same menu you left off in...so it's extremely quick and easy to judge changes. I use different shaders for handhelds, and I use screen overlays for those too (I HATE fullscreen emulation of handheld systems, so an overlay is a great way to reduce the screen size, and place it within a high quality image of the relevant handheld device you're emulating). The GameBoy shader called dot (I think!) looks exceptional, and really reproduces the original GameBoy screen very accurately sans motion blur (though there's even a shader that reproduces that if you're sick enough to want it)

Regards MAME, I use crt-hyllian for the majority of Arcade systems, sometimes using small tailoring here & there (though I really try not to get bogged down in custom shader options, you could literally spend your life messing with them and ultimately miss the whole point - playing the game!). So yeah, start with crt-hyllian, make changes if you need to, & go from there.

There's shaders that get seriously seriously close to the look of crt's, and there's shaders that look pretty crap to my eye....AND there's everything in between.

Thanks for the detailed answer!

I just discovered this thread on the Liberto forums and user Nesguy seems to have done a great job of perfecting the CRT look within Retroarch without losing brightness etc.

It's quite a lengthy thread so you can see they put a lot of work into it.

Here's the most recent attempt:
    https://forums.libretro.com/t/please-show-off-what-crt-shaders-can-do/19193/1712

The screenshots need to be opened at full size btw.

^^ Some really nice work there. How are they using those text files, I assume they're being saved as a certain filetype and loaded as a shader though the main menu?

^^ Some really nice work there. How are they using those text files, I assume they're being saved as a certain filetype and loaded as a shader though the main menu?

Yeah you save the text as whatever.glslp or whatever.slangp.
    Those are the presets.

Then You need to copy over the shader itself called grade.glsl / grade.slang that user Dogway created, you'll find that here.

https://github.com/Dogway/emulation-random/tree/master/RetroArch/Shaders

And place the grade shader in the shaders_glsl/misc or shader_slang/misc folder.

Load your preset and you're rocking!

Nesguy put up a guide here for further customisation of the scanlines.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/dogways-grading-shader-slang/27148

I'm using the Vulkan API as my video output and the slang preset.
    Seems to work well.

Have you moved to Vulkan Inviere or are you still using D3D11 / GL?

Fantastic, many thanks (though I feel you've probably cost me 2 weeks of my life now as I'll no doubt tumble down a rabbit hole here :D).

No I've stuck with GL for the video backend. Have you noticed any benefits in using Vulkan?

• Advertisement

Fantastic, many thanks (though I feel you've probably cost me 2 weeks of my life now as I'll no doubt tumble down a rabbit hole here :D).

No I've stuck with GL for the video backend. Have you noticed any benefits in using Vulkan?

I haven't used an on screen display yet for frame rate, CPU usage etc... to compare.

There's potential there though as some Vulkan windows games are ridiculously optimized.

There's potential there though as some Vulkan windows games are ridiculously optimized.

Oh for sure, I thought you were talking about purely RetroArch :o For that, I stick with GL. For modern games, I'll use DX12/Vulkan, depending on what they support etc.

Hmmm

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1260439635299360768

And to answer the inevitable regarding the recent source leaks...

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1260448346902315013

Still, who's to say the code couldn't be glanced at, a solution or method observed, and then an 'alternate' developed on that basis...

Oh for sure, I thought you were talking about purely RetroArch :o For that, I stick with GL. For modern games, I'll use DX12/Vulkan, depending on what they support etc.

I was talking about Retroarch indeed, I read later that GL is the most compatible so you might be better off sticking with it.

I just compared the potential of Vulkan to the Windows games as they unlocked a lot of optimization.
    Vulkan will probably be to go to API in a few years once enough cores are ported over to it.

I see that the combat flight simulator DCS World is trying to port over to Vulkan too to try and unlock optimization, especially for VR.

I just compared the potential of Vulkan to the Windows games as they unlocked a lot of optimization.
    Vulkan will probably be to go to API in a few years once enough cores are ported over to it.

Aye, there seems to be serious performance gains using it so I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the dominant backend in time. Though DX12 Ultimate is boating some serious features, have you seen what DLSS 2.0 does? Amazing stuff.

Hmmm

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1260439635299360768

And to answer the inevitable regarding the recent source leaks...

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1260448346902315013

Still, who's to say the code couldn't be glanced at, a solution or method observed, and then an 'alternate' developed on that basis...

So it was a ground up rewrite of the RDP. Low Level Emulation, and for its first release, it looks like it's making huge gains in terms of accuracy. Future releases are eyeing up internal resolution increases, which seems at odds with low level emulation, but the author talks about using a discrete GPU to handle the upscaling, leaving the cpu to handle accurate emulation...so an interesting mix of authenticity mixed with some nice modern-day visual upgrades.

I'll likely not use this at the moment, vanilla N64 graphics are beyond bad (I'll wait for the ability in increase resolution)...but to say that N64 emulation is in good hands is an understatement!

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/reviving-and-rewriting-parallel-rdp-fast-and-accurate-low-level-n64-rdp-emulation/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I wish I knew how Retroarch took over emulation, it has to be the most esoteric bit of software I've ever used. Do people just use premade template configs or something?

megaten wrote: »
    I wish I knew how Retroarch took over emulation, it has to be the most esoteric bit of software I've ever used. Do people just use premade template configs or something?

Some do, many don't. What are you having trouble with? Once it clicks, it really clicks, and standalone emulators become far less appealing after that. I'm very very comfortable with it, so ask any questions you have & I'll try help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Some do, many don't. What are you having trouble with? Once it clicks, it really clicks, and standalone emulators become far less appealing after that. I'm very very comfortable with it, so ask any questions you have & I'll try help!
    Nah I'm not that invested so theres no need. But my major problems is it feels like it makes every single thing seem like a major chore. Everything from remapping buttons to setting default directories feels like a major chore. All I really want out of it is a interface you can navigate with a controller but it insists on making everything so awkward.

megaten wrote: »
    Nah I'm not that invested so theres no need. But my major problems is it feels like it makes every single thing seem like a major chore. Everything from remapping buttons to setting default directories feels like a major chore. All I really want out of it is a interface you can navigate with a controller but it insists on making everything so awkward.

Well to be fair you'll get out of it what you put into it, there really isn't much to it once you break it down. If you spend the time setting it how you like it, nothing will come near it for functionality, and none of this work has to be repeated again either so I consider it a very worthwhile investment.

Remapping controls:
    F1, scroll to Controls, go to Port 1 controls (for player 1 usually), set as you like, then you've three options to save:

1) Save Core Remap File - this saves the controls you've just altered for ALL games used with the current core.
    2) Save Content Directory Remap File - this saves the controls you've changed for ANY games sharing the same directory as the current game (very very useful for cores that run different systems).
    3) Save Game Remap File - this saves the controls you've just altered purely for ONLY this game (handy for things like vert shooters with MAME, where you only want altered controls for certain games).

Whatever option you choose will generate a remap file, and RetroArch will load that remap file the next time the game or core is ran (depending on your save choice above). For a one off investment, that's really not a whole lot of effort.

Shaders, Overlays, most other things in RetroArch work the exact same way.

• Advertisement

Aye, there seems to be serious performance gains using it so I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the dominant backend in time. Though DX12 Ultimate is boating some serious features, have you seen what DLSS 2.0 does? Amazing stuff.

I haven't tbh, I must look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah I really wish i'd backed one now!

He's taking orders again...

The_B_Man wrote: »
    He's taking orders again...

Yeah he announced today that he will be taking orders on Indiegogo soon.
    He also said that there's a 10% fee that Indiegogo charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm considering getting one now myself. The only issue is lack of an actual PC!!!
    Since lockdown I've been contemplating building a PC for emulation. In fact I got the graphics card already (R9 380X for analog DVI). So now I need to find meself a good barebones PC.

For those who have already built an emulation PC, any tips on where I can get a 2nd hand PC with a good CPU in an ATX case, for a cupla hundred or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Has anyone used the Elgato Stream Deck with emulators or frontends?
    I've got one coming during the week(the "Stream Deck XL" version) for other uses and was wondering if it's gonna be any good for MAME, Launchbox, retroarch etc.

nkYCyMk.jpg

I'm considering getting one now myself. The only issue is lack of an actual PC!!!
    Since lockdown I've been contemplating building a PC for emulation. In fact I got the graphics card already (R9 380X for analog DVI). So now I need to find meself a good barebones PC.

For those who have already built an emulation PC, any tips on where I can get a 2nd hand PC with a good CPU in an ATX case, for a cupla hundred or so?

Which systems do you plan on emulating?
    You planning on emulating PS3? Inviere would probably have more detail for that platform.

Emulators like MAME and PCSX2 (PS2) are very CPU heavy and don't necessarily need a powerful graphics card.
    If you plan on using CRT Shaders then it will use more GPU, id imagine the GPU will be a good investment for emulating CRT at high resolutions like 4K.

So its recommended to get a CPU with a high base clock per core for emulation since some emulators don't have the best multi-processor or hyper threading optimization. I personally wouldn't bother getting any more cores than a quad core.

PCSX2 in particular relies on Single Thread Performance so that base clock is going to be critical.

I like to use CPUBenchmark.net as a guide when comparing processors.
    They have a Single Thread performance page where you can search for and compare models of CPU which is handy:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Also I'd recommend checking out 2 youtube channels in particular who cover this topic.

ETA PRIME
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Mretaprime/search?query=emulation

LowSpecGamer
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQkd05iAYed2-LOmhjzDG6g/search?query=emulation

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

All my cabs have that same graphics card and a mix of Intel i7 4790k / 6700k processors. They play absolutely everything arcade emulation wise. MAME, Demul, Supermodel, teknoparrot, CXBX-R Chihiro.

Install the calamity drivers to get the most out of the card with mame (groovymame) for the older games assuming you are hooking it up to a CRT TV.

I haven't touched any console emulators or retroarch but I assume many of them have the same CRT output options as groovymame.

When buying a PC, the graphics card needs a good power supply at least 500W with two 6Pin power connectors for the card. It also needs UEFI motherboard so anything old that only has Legacy BIOS won't work. Most cheap adverts/ebay sales won't have a compatible power supply and the older you go the more likely it will only have Legacy BIOS.

Go second hand would be my advice. As Doge says, you'll want something with a decent cpu if you're going to be looking at semi-modern console emulation. In general though, outside of PS2 and upwards...the computing power needed for emulation is really low these days. That said, with some extra horsepower, you can start turning on the bells & whistles which greatly improve the experience. What's your budget?

• Advertisement

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Elgato Stream Deck with emulators or frontends?

No experience with it Steve, & all I can see online for it are Launchbox icons and the likes...so someone out there uses it in that vein.

Advertisement