Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

Can't say I'm overly impressed ^^

The emulation is using an updated (by the original author) Kega Fusion, which isn't cycle accurate and has some (addressable) issues as shown above (timing not perfect, colour palette not spot on, tinny sound). Those issues are fixable in software (assuming the PolyMega allows you to update base software).

What I was more surprised at though, is that the expansion units are simply interface units for the carts & controllers. He doesn't show the hardware inside them, but from the description, there's not a whole lot going on possibly other than translating controller inputs & feeding cart info to the base unit. So you can install your carts, and then never need that particular expansion again....that feels a bit 'flat' after dropping $80/€80 on one. Yes they come with an apparently decent per-system controller, but I was hoping the expansion units would have a bit more 'character' to them, other than being glorified pas-through hunks of plastic.

The scanline options seems heavily limited compared to whats available on other (free) solutions like RetroArch too. Image dimming seems evident in the above video, with the games lacking that visual punch if using scanlines turned on. Finally, unless the game exists on the PolyMega Database, the system won't boot/install that cart...so some homebrew might be affected by this. It's a bit disappointing as this meant there was no way to run the MegaDrive Tone Generator homebrew in order to properly test the audio. They need to implement a way to direct boot a cart, regardless of whether or not there's a DB entry for it.

The UI looks very nice on the unit I'll give it that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any word on the analogue pocket? Really enjoying my gameboy at the moment and would love one with a better screen and support for other systems!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also another lock down question for you guys:

What's the most disappointing game you ever bought.

For me it was Sparkster on the Megadrive.

Sparkster is far from a bad game. However I loved Rocket Knight Adventures so much. It's pretty much my second favourite megadrive game of all time just behind Gunstar Heroes.

I always loved Konami games ever since playing them in the arcade and was so jealous of the NES and SNES getting great Konami games. I was really excited when Konami started making Megadrive games. Their first few weren't great, mediocre conversions/remixes of SNES games like Hyperstone Heist and Sunset Riders. Rocket Knight was Konami's first original game on the Megadrive and they really went all out. I loved the characters, the between stage vignettes, the charm running through it. And that soundtrack was insanely good, up there with Streets of Rage 1 and 2. There was so much variety. And best of all so many bosses!

So I was so excited when I picked up a magazine and saw a preview of Sparkster. It looked a little off, not as good looking as the original. I put it down to the art style. But how could it be bad? It was Konami and Rocket Knight!

Release Date came along and I couldn't find the game anywhere. Not sure why but it just couldn't be found in Dublin. I eventually found it for a budget price of 30 euros in Game a few months later and used all my pocket money to buy it.

I got it home and was so disappointed. Levels were now sprawling with little of the clever design of the first game. The game controlled differently from Rocket Knight Adventures and felt very different. There were less boss battles and the ones that were in it weren't as well designed as Rocket Knight. And after a cracking opening stage theme the music wasn't as memorable. I played the game multiple times willing myself to love it and while it was a good game, it was far from a top tier platformer.

However.... nothing could prepare me for the ultimate betrayal. I picked up a copy of Gamesmaster a few weeks later and in it was a 2 page spread advertising Konami games on the SNES. Animaniacs, Tiny Toons... WTF is this! Sparkster!

Rocket Knight Adventures was a megadrive exclusive. The SNES had a load of Konami classics, Axelay, Tiny Toons, Castlevania IV, Contra 3. But as a megadrive owner Rocket Knight Adventures was mine, was ours! And Konami had put a Sparkster game on the SNES. Not just that, it looked so much better than the Megadrive Sparkster. The gameplay looked more like the first Rocket Knight game. The bosses looked really impressive and there were loads of them. The SNES got the superior game!

Now it was a while before I played the SNES version of Sparkster on emulation. It was indeed a great game, far better than the Megadrive version and played very like the first game. But it wasn't the classic Rocket Knight was. But I'd never felt such betrayal in my life. Let's just say that Konami are lucky Megadrive Probotector was so much better than Contra 3 otherwise I'd have fire bombed their head offices.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Any word on the analogue pocket? Really enjoying my gameboy at the moment and would love one with a better screen and support for other systems!

Haven't heard anything of it since the initial hype. Lovely little device, but I must admit their whole "NO EMULATION!" marketing thing is a bit eye roll inducing for me. Are they comparing it against emulators from 1998 or something? :o Sure, it's FPGA so it's hardware accurate (for the most part, I recently learned that Snes FPGA cores are still not 100%)...but we're talking about 8bit & 16bit games here....they've been perfected* in emulation for ages now

*perfected in the sense that I'd say anyone that can like-for-like distinguish between modern 8/16bit cycle-accurate emulation and an FPGA 8bit core with their eyes, hands, & ears alone is probably bluffing.

It's great that there's FPGA solutions for these consoles & hardware, both from a preservation and playability point of view...but the whole toffee-nosed view of lowly emulation from these companies is disingenuous as a sales tactic, and somewhat insulting to the amazing work that emulator authors have done for decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I completely forgot about the Polymega. I think someone posted a video a while back that I was meaning to watch but never did. Haven't seen anything come up about it on YouTube either.

Have people been getting parcels? Still waiting on one from the US and one from Australia since the end of March. Haven't gotten anything with AnPost lately so don't know if they're delayed. Couriers seem ok. Bought a game from Smyth's the other day which hasn't shown up yet.

• Advertisement

Lots of post delays here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah it's hit and miss.

I've had international stuff arrive quickly enough and things nationally be delayed by 3-4 days.

Just best to sit back and wait for things. One of my friends world's for a parcel company and he said it's just crazy the at the moment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm waiting on a bunch of repros from Aliexpress for months now, wonder if they'll ever make it.
    Same though, I had the PC Engine Mini delivered from Japan in next to no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,596 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it's all over the place at the moment.

I've noticed my parcel motel packages taking about a week longer than they should.

Even within Ireland, I've had a few courier deliveries which should really have been next day take over a week.

I guess everyone is sitting at home, bored out of their minds and shopping...I know I am :o

It's very annoying for me. Have a chair getting delivered. Within ireland. Next day delivery. But the website never said it's on back order and waiting ages for it. Really need it as my neck and back are getting crippled from the piece of **** chair that was included with my rented room.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah we decided to get rid of the dining table and chairs last year. Weren't being used and they took up too much space.

If I'd known this was going to happen I may have thought twice :eek:

Got a pair of these in the end but they took an age to come from IKEA. Still don't have a proper chair setup though and am working from a couch.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/vittsjoe-laptop-stand-black-brown-glass-00250249/

Master of the Universe

Weird one, but are any of you lads into VHS collecting at all?

I see there's been a little bit of an upsurge in it, especially been reflected in the price of decent working VCRs.

Was tempted to pick one up and get a few choice titles. I know the quality is crap but I do kind of miss the 'CA-CHUNK!' of putting in a tape and movies being cropped to 4:3 :D

Some people like to also be hooked up to a ceiling by chains and hooks through their skin.

Not for me but I'd take it over watching a vcr.

Master of the Universe

But the screen noise! The loss of tracking! the machine eating your tape! What's not to love? :pac:

What I was thinking of doing was picking up a few big box ex rentals of some of my favourites growing up as a kid, like Aliens, The Terminator, Predator etc and have it hooked up to one of my CRTs.

I've seen them all a billion times now in ultra 4K HD picture so sharp your eyes will bleed quality, but it's been many years since I saw the fuzz that is VHS.

This might be me just starting to lose my mind because of the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

o1s1n wrote: »

I've seen them all a billion times now in ultra 4K HD picture so sharp your eyes will bleed quality, but it's been many years since I saw the fuzz that is VHS.

You could always just smear your eyes with Vaseline for a similar experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So we strive for a perfect picture, unless we're emulating classic video games, where in that case we spend infinite time fiddling with settings to make them look old and not picture perfect.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Some things, like the 80s classics like Robot Jox or even Escape from New York work well on VHS because all of our memories are from watching them on our CRTs with low def picture and audio.
    That said, I had mine piped through a surround system, so they sounded a lot better than they looked!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Betamax ftw. Better quality, smaller tapes and we (my dad) bet on that particular horse. And we cried as that section of QQQ video rentals got smaller, and smaller and smaller.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Listen: I grew up with VHS, recall with fondness the anti-piracy warnings, and have some unshakable affection for the VHS aesthetic.

All that said: watching a film in that format these days is an act of absolute madness :p

The ****test quality possible, crimes against original aspect ratios and the sheer space needed to house the damn things combine to make the format's continued death a cause for celebration!

Master of the Universe

So we strive for a perfect picture, unless we're emulating classic video games, where in that case we spend infinite time fiddling with settings to make them look old and not picture perfect.

Perfect picture...on the correct display!

Classic videogame on a modern display is never going to be picture perfect.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Listen: I grew up with VHS, recall with fondness the anti-piracy warnings, and have some unshakable affection for the VHS aesthetic.

All that said: watching a film in that format these days is an act of absolute madness :p

The ****test quality possible, crimes against original aspect ratios and the sheer space needed to house the damn things combine to make the format's continued death a cause for celebration!

Still the only way to own a legit copy of Song of the South! :D

Still the only way to own a legit copy of Song of the South! :D

Disney lawyer squad is on route.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Disney lawyer squad is on route.

I genuinely loved that film as a kid! My mam taped it on RTE for me and I'd watch it all the time.

RTI7iZaT6dipmNY-R4oeWFosWZX9_gVpI9j-cq78UfTy6S05cJPZUnCh4pwk6p45rnM5MyiVqZKhtaCafb0-EU7-3sfNtkxs49oP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

VHS enthusiast: “You might have access to an endless stream of content from cinema history in full HD and presented as the directors intended... but do you have a clam shell copy of Disney’s most racist film? Check. Mate.”

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I dunno , if I'm watching a really crappy 70s 80s horror movie , I'll throw on the Vive, start up retro neon arcade or emu vr , and watch it on an 80s tv in an 80s environment with the crappiest vhs effects possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Got a pair of these in the end but they took an age to come from IKEA. Still don't have a proper chair setup though and am working from a couch.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/vittsjoe-laptop-stand-black-brown-glass-00250249/

BED SIDE TABLES EH?
    "Oh dear wife, have our butler bring some fresh produce up from the pantry post haste, my tummy is feeling rather empty!"

I see there's been a little bit of an upsurge in it, especially been reflected in the price of decent working VCRs.

Was tempted to pick one up and get a few choice titles. I know the quality is crap but I do kind of miss the 'CA-CHUNK!' of putting in a tape and movies being cropped to 4:3 :D

I went mad on it there back in September, the best haul was the entire month python's flying Circus collection, the original format I believe with the class artwork.

That high end Panasonic VCR I bought didn't work on arrival though but the seller was sound enough to give a full refund.

I think it's the mode selection switch but didn't get around to fixing it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone ever play Gripshift? Had it on PSP and again on Xbox 360 Arcade. I enjoyed it but I never see anyone talk about it.

Mercury too, I enjoyed that than Lumines surprisingly.

VHS enthusiast: “You might have access to an endless stream of content from cinema history in full HD and presented as the directors intended... but do you have a clam shell copy of Disney’s most racist film? Check. Mate.”

Had some bangin' tunes in fairness.

God no. Unless there's a tangible reason to reignite the buying of old media formats, then it's only a nostalgia trip. Vinyl I get, there's a definite warmth in the sound that is lost on a digital copy....but VHS? It offers nothing imo :o

The thing is, to make retro games picture perfect...you have to make them look old. Retro games are perfect on an old crt tv screen....they certainly don't look anywhere near as good on a modern display panel, and you can only hope to imitate the look of an old tv.

• Advertisement

Hmmm

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1260439635299360768

And to answer the inevitable regarding the recent source leaks...

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1260448346902315013

Still, who's to say the code couldn't be glanced at, a solution or method observed, and then an 'alternate' developed on that basis...

Advertisement