Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

I think this being cancelled (& knowing how long the wait for another EP now is) has been the single most grim moment of the lockdown for me.
    How my hair currently looks a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Anyone watching the excellent Sli na mBeaglaoich on TG4? Particularly Bodhrandude and Enda. Nice to see money pumped into a decent trad music road documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Has anyone any info on how to get a refund? The email from ticketmaster is a bit of a joke. I called the helpline on the site but got an automated message to say the numver is out of order. The other option seems to be completing an online form. Has anyone successfully received a refund this way? Can't afford to let my ticket roll over to next year unfortunately as Covid has me out of work with bills rolling in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭fafy

dashdoll wrote: »
    Has anyone any info on how to get a refund? The email from ticketmaster is a bit of a joke. I called the helpline on the site but got an automated message to say the numver is out of order. The other option seems to be completing an online form. Has anyone successfully received a refund this way? Can't afford to let my ticket roll over to next year unfortunately as Covid has me out of work with bills rolling in!

You have to complete an online form and request a refund, the most recent TM refund i received, took two weeks. Under “normal” conditions it takes a week.

Select : Refund/Exchange in the “Topic” menu

https://help.ticketmaster.ie/hc/en-ie/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000117353

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Anyone watching the excellent Sli na mBeaglaoich on TG4? Particularly Bodhrandude and Enda. Nice to see money pumped into a decent trad music road documentary.

Have watched the first two episodes, you know me too well! It's a nice easy watch to be fair, and of course the music a serious high level. The tunes in fr Ted's house was a highlight for me. Cormac Begley is a fantastic musician regardless, his style is really unique and the work he's done with Lisa O Neill in particular was fantastic.

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »
    Have watched the first two episodes, you know me too well! It's a nice easy watch to be fair, and of course the music a serious high level. The tunes in fr Ted's house was a highlight for me. Cormac Begley is a fantastic musician regardless, his style is really unique and the work he's done with Lisa O Neill in particular was fantastic.

Yeah, loved that. Watched the Galway episode last night, none in the city but in Coole Park, Moran's Oyster Cottage in Kilcolgan, Inishbofin & Leenane. Great locations and the camaraderie is great. More of this stuff at EP please. The international nature of festivals may change over the next two years (or more) so getting more Irish and more trad acts involved can only be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I'm thinking I might drive down on the Friday afternoon and have a solitary can sitting by the deserted Salty Dog while listening to a Doors/ Smith's playlist. Anyone watching closely might see a solitary tear quietly roll down my aged visage. To a plague free 2021, folks.

Don't think you'll be the only one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Poorside wrote: »
    Don't think you'll be the only one there.

Poorside did we get your top ten infuential albums yet, would love to see your list. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Not that anyone cares, but here is my top ten influential albums.

Solid Air – John Martyn (1973)
    I was about 15 (1980) when I heard this album first when a friend of mine at the time introduced me to this classic. The following year we hitchhiked to Lisdoonvarna Festival from Wexford mainly to see John Martyn. If you don’t know it, this is probably the best album you have never heard.

Rattus Norvegicus – The Stranglers (1977)
    This was my coming of age record in 1978. Not the first record I bought, but the first that I almost wore out. I still love it. Sometimes is one of the best opening tracks ever. That keyboard is magical. RIP Dave Greenfield.

Unknown Pleasures – Joy Division (1979)
    What can I say that hasn’t been said before.

Remain in Light – Talking Heads (1980)
    An amazing album. Still sounds fresh which is impressive considering it was ridiculously innovative in its time. Brian Eno and David Byrne et al making a classic that will stand out for many years to come.

Treasure – Cocteau Twins (1984)
    Blew my mind when I heard this first. The voice is haunting and the instrumentation imaginative with superb tunes to help the whole thing along. Still sounds incredible for the most part. Made me rethink what music could be.

This Nation’s Saving Grace – The Fall (1985)
    My favourite Fall album. Gut of the Quantifier probably my favourite tune by this man. Solid album throughout. Gets a spin in my new house at least once a month.

Psychocandy – Jesus and Mary Chain (1985)
    Loved this record. The simplicity of the excellent pop songs surrounded by wonderfully executed noise.

Raising Hell – Run DMC (1986)
    I had been listening to lots of New York Hip Hop when this was released. This was the first great Hip Hop album for me. “It Takes A Million” is probably a better album, but this is the original Hip Hop classic album. My 15 year old step-daughter tells me this is her favourite album. I am doing something right.

Dubnobasswithmyheadman – Underworld (1993)
    I must have listened to this 1,000 time over the years. It’s probably a little dated but I still enjoy it.

Seize the Day – Damien Dempsey (2003)
    Not everyone’s cup of tea for sure. For me he was the best of the crop of Irish singer songwriters at the time. This album was a snapshot of Ireland at the time. Negative Vibes, Factories and Celtic Tiger stand out tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

nice choices, dragged the other half through a Joy Division/New Order exhibition a few years ago in a Manchester museum, she hated it, final thing they had before the exit was the original bit of paper with the lyrics to Love Will Tear Us Apart, not on that album obviously but one of those things that sends shivers up the spine in an "ooooooh that's nice" way.

• Advertisement

Not that anyone cares, but here is my top ten influential albums.

Solid Air – John Martyn (1973)
    I was about 15 (1980) when I heard this album first when a friend of mine at the time introduced me to this classic. The following year we hitchhiked to Lisdoonvarna Festival from Wexford mainly to see John Martyn. If you don’t know it, this is probably the best album you have never heard.

Rattus Norvegicus – The Stranglers (1977)
    This was my coming of age record in 1978. Not the first record I bought, but the first that I almost wore out. I still love it. Sometimes is one of the best opening tracks ever. That keyboard is magical. RIP Dave Greenfield.

Unknown Pleasures – Joy Division (1979)
    What can I say that hasn’t been said before.

Remain in Light – Talking Heads (1980)
    An amazing album. Still sounds fresh which is impressive considering it was ridiculously innovative in its time. Brian Eno and David Byrne et al making a classic that will stand out for many years to come.

Treasure – Cocteau Twins (1984)
    Blew my mind when I heard this first. The voice is haunting and the instrumentation imaginative with superb tunes to help the whole thing along. Still sounds incredible for the most part. Made me rethink what music could be.

This Nation’s Saving Grace – The Fall (1985)
    My favourite Fall album. Gut of the Quantifier probably my favourite tune by this man. Solid album throughout. Gets a spin in my new house at least once a month.

Psychocandy – Jesus and Mary Chain (1985)
    Loved this record. The simplicity of the excellent pop songs surrounded by wonderfully executed noise.

Raising Hell – Run DMC (1986)
    I had been listening to lots of New York Hip Hop when this was released. This was the first great Hip Hop album for me. “It Takes A Million” is probably a better album, but this is the original Hip Hop classic album. My 15 year old step-daughter tells me this is her favourite album. I am doing something right.

Dubnobasswithmyheadman – Underworld (1993)
    I must have listened to this 1,000 time over the years. It’s probably a little dated but I still enjoy it.

Seize the Day – Damien Dempsey (2003)
    Not everyone’s cup of tea for sure. For me he was the best of the crop of Irish singer songwriters at the time. This album was a snapshot of Ireland at the time. Negative Vibes, Factories and Celtic Tiger stand out tracks.

Love the list. A couple of mine on there plus Solid Air still sounds sensational. Seize the Day also as good as any Irish has done this century.

Poorside did we get your top ten infuential albums yet, would love to see your list. :)

Nope, I haven't been on much as work has been a bit manic and trying to stay off line more than normal, have a day off tomorrow and that looks like an afternoon in the garden with a few beers fighting with myself about what albums to include.

Is there any particular guidelines? Like only 1 from a particular artist or just work away?

And what if you just had a taped copy of a compilation of 50's music and never knew the name of it?
    Think I actually wore that particular tape out when I was about 12.

Feck it, was already overthinking, tried to go in order that I heard them but the last one had to be included and I probably heard it first when I was about 15.
    Left out so many but these are my 10 I could be buried with.

The Waterboys, Fisherman's Blues
    First album where I connected with the stories being told and felt I knew what he was going through, 14 year old eejit

Prince, Purple Rain
    Saw the movie and then got the album, absolute genius

The Stone Roses
    15 years of age and you hear I want to be adored starting an album and Ressurection finishing it, still my favourite album to this day.

Guns and Roses, Appetite for destruction
    My proper introduction into rock and veered me in the direction I went after that, every song has a story about being a rock star and I loved it.

The teardrop explodes, Everybody wants to shag.
    Myself and my friend went into a second hand record shop on a mission of buying an album just for the name, I won, and couldn't believe how good the album was, meeting Julian Cope at EP a few years back is still a highlight

My Bloody Valentine, loveless
    Oh my good Jesus what is that beautiful noise.

Pearl Jam, Ten
    Yes, I prefer PJ to Nirvana, just love vedders voice and again I related to a lot of the stories on the album, or as a stupid 16/17 year old I thought I did.

Stiff little fingers, best of.
    Strictly speaking I probably shouldn't include this but it's what got me into punk,dossing off school in sister's house and put this on, changed my view of punks

The Beatles
    White album, this runs The stone roses very close as my favourite album, the diversity of music and the story telling (can you see a trend) are for me the strength of this album

New model Army, Thunder and Consolation
    If I was asked to take just one album to listen to for the rest of my life this would probably be it, doesn't hit the emotional heights of The stone roses and certainly doesn't have the smack you in the mouth of Loveless, but again the story telling is amazing.

Feck it, was already overthinking, tried to go in order that I heard them but the last one had to be included and I probably heard it first when I was about 15.

First album where I connected with the stories being told and felt I knew what he was going through, 14 year old eejit

Prince, Purple Rain

The Stone Roses
    15 years of age and you hear I want to be adored starting an album and Ressurection finishing it, still my favourite album to this day.

My proper introduction into rock and veered me in the direction I went after that, every song has a story about being a rock star and I loved it.

Myself and my friend went into a second hand record shop on a mission of buying an album just for the name, I won, and couldn't believe how good the album was, meeting Julian Cope at EP a few years back is still a highlight

Pearl Jam, Ten
    Yes, I prefer PJ to Nirvana, just love vedders voice and again I related to a lot of the stories on the album, or as a stupid 16/17 year old I thought I did.

Strictly speaking I probably shouldn't include this but it's what got me into punk,dossing off school in sister's house and put this on, changed my view of punks

The Beatles
    White album, this runs The stone roses very close as my favourite album, the diversity of music and the story telling (can you see a trend) are for me the strength of this album

If I was asked to take just one album to listen to for the rest of my life this would probably be it, doesn't hit the emotional heights of The stone roses and certainly doesn't have the smack you in the mouth of Loveless, but again the story telling is amazing.

Great stuff in there. I had forgotten about Thunder and Consolation. Put in on this morning and it sure is a belter, still. Love the bass playing on that album.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Love the list. A couple of mine on there plus Solid Air still sounds sensational. Seize the Day also as good as any Irish has done this century.

We are clearly of a similar vintage. I could have put in another 10 to be fair. It was tough to omit Grace - Jeff Buckley for example .. and several Pixies albums. The Clash, Bunnymen, Never Mind the Bo11ocks, Beastie Boys, SanctuaryLove by The Cult, Odelay, Leftism, Rust Never Sleeps, ... jaysus I could go on and on.

Great stuff in there. I had forgotten about Thunder and Consolation. Put in on this morning and it sure is a belter, still. Love the bass playing on that album.

Good stuff, got a vinyl copy of Purple rain last week will probably give it a spin later, hope it stands up to the test of time as an album.

Snarky Snark Snark

Good stuff, got a vinyl copy of Purple rain last week will probably give it a spin later, hope it stands up to the test of time as an album.

I have this (vinyl that is, incl the funky poster in it), it does (in a I've had too much to drink and am cranking the stereo up type vibe).

I have this (vinyl that is, incl the funky poster in it), it does (in a I've had too much to drink and am cranking the stereo up type vibe).

Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Nice one PabloAndRoy and Poorside, great lists. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I just watched a concert film of his from 1984, Purple Rain tour, on YouTube with my missus, a massive Prince fan. Great stuff. The Beautiful Ones is my favourite Prince song.

Prince, Purple Rain

The Stone Roses

Pearl Jam, Ten

The Beatles

A great list there Poorside, loads I love and two shared with my list (MBV, Beatles).

Agree re The White Album, at different stages in my life Revolver and Sgt. Pepper have been my faves but TWA is by far the one I listen most to now. Something new on every listen. I'll probably graduate to Abbey Road in retirement.

And how the fu*k did I miss Julian Cope at EP? I remember he was in the writer's tent a few years back but it must have been clashing with something. That was it I assume. Please tell me he never played the fest or I'll be upset all weekend. Wilder & Kilimanjaro two of my fave albums but never seen them or him live. Make it happen EP.

We are clearly of a similar vintage. I could have put in another 10 to be fair. It was tough to omit Grace - Jeff Buckley for example .. and several Pixies albums. The Clash, Bunnymen, Never Mind the Bo11ocks, Beastie Boys, SanctuaryLove by The Cult, Odelay, Leftism, Rust Never Sleeps, ... jaysus I could go on and on.

Why not do a top 20 next week? We've nothing else to be talking about here and it's not like you'll get a ban for over-indulging yourself.

EDIT - scrub the above. How about a list of fave albums by artists who've played EP. Make it as long or short as you wish. Mine on Mon/Tue.

Yep, it really does. Every last track is class, and still so familiar from radio play. Darling Nikki though is still awaiting airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Mucker46

It is a classic album. For me he never reached these heights again (but did get close). So many brilliant songs on this album.

Mucker46 wrote: »
    It is a classic album. For me he never reached these heights again (but did get close). So many brilliant songs on this album.

For me Parade remains his peak, great though PR & SOTTs are pretty amazing also. Still missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

nc6000 wrote: »
    Any idea who'll be playing?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Suckit wrote: »
    Any idea who'll be playing?

:pac:

Ceann raidió ;)

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Should I start a new one or do we let this die a natural death before considering it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement