Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Related Stuff To Get You Through The Corona Crisis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

One for the sprinters. Good presentation on mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50HQuSk_-aQ

Might be of some interest to some here but webinar starting in 10 min from Colin Griffin (Sports Surgery Clinic) on Calf rehab and returning to performance

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MTDfJt2gSqKc_S5tNt8cSg

(It’s a free one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭4Ad

KSU wrote: »
    Interesting one on the highs and lows from an elite female UK Marathon Runner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nz511mOC7E

Thanks, that was a great watch, she is very humble (and fast), slightly eccentric also...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭4Ad

https://youtu.be/Jt3XPQFLOF8

Out There -
    A Journey to the Barkley Marathons..

A great watch.

Few Webinars in the coming weeks on a host of topics being hosted by AAI which might be of interest

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/webinar-series

• Advertisement

Great Podcast with Mike Smith (Coach who took over from Salazar with Galen Rupp, as well as Northern Arizona University)

Some really interesting points on coaching approach and the need to get away from time focused goals and outcome driven mindset

Some interesting Webinars coming in the coming weeks and months for any budding coaches out there

https://athleticsni.org/News/Athletics-NI-News/Athletics-NI-Zoom-In-To-Coach-Development

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Some interesting Webinars coming in the coming weeks and months for any budding coaches out there

https://athleticsni.org/News/Athletics-NI-News/Athletics-NI-Zoom-In-To-Coach-Development

I signed up for a couple...now I have to work out how to watch them! #zoomvirgin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I signed up for a couple...now I have to work out how to watch them! #zoomvirgin

Hope it’s not as disastrous as your attempt at organising a TT!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Shot last Sept, uploaded a month ago. Doc about the Portland 5000m, to reach Olympic standard.

Pacer Mo Ahmed has 12:58 in his back catalogue. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

Enjoyed that.

That track! Swoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Thanks for that. Just bought his book not 15 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Lazare wrote: »
    Enjoyed that.

That track! Swoon.

Have been fortunate to run on that track - absolutely amazing. Was snowing at the time so experience was even more surreal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have been fortunate to run on that track - absolutely amazing. Was snowing at the time so experience was even more surreal.

I like that it was done at night. The black and white shots were great, the sweat coming off them was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

the sweat coming off them was something else.

That’s just a normal day for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I watched the Colin Griffin webinar tonight, very interesting presentation about injury risks for masters runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I watched the Colin Griffin webinar tonight, very interesting presentation about injury risks for masters runners.

Had noted this one but didn’t get to it. Any chance of a detailed summary? :D

Not running, but an enjoyable look at a slice of Waterford anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Interesting one on the highs and lows from an elite female UK Marathon Runner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nz511mOC7E

Jeez, who'd be a coach. Some high maintenance stuff there or is that just my famed lack of empathy shining through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Itziger wrote: »
    Jeez, who'd be a coach. Some high maintenance stuff there or is that just my famed lack of empathy shining through?

I watched it & found it very interesting. I think I related to some of it & her feelings (would love her speed!!). I can't relate to the track end of it as I have no experience at this but being still relatively new to running it takes a lot of getting used to, just trying to learn how to pace correctly, how to use your efforts efficiently, how not to go out too fast & die in a race. I think we have all had that feeling from the min the gun goes that today is just not my day, and all you can do is try to hang on as best as possible.
    I like watching or listening to runners that show all aspects of running not just the highs! It makes it more relatable to see that even the elites don't & won't always get it right...
    As for being a coach, well that's one tough job. Making decisions that ultimately could affect this runners confidence & their love for running. In saying that the rewards must be huge, to see them succeed & train well week in week out must be the ultimate goal!

Anyway that's just my tuppence worth:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

I watched it & found it very interesting. I think I related to some of it & her feelings (would love her speed!!). I can't relate to the track end of it as I have no experience at this but being still relatively new to running it takes a lot of getting used to, just trying to learn how to pace correctly, how to use your efforts efficiently, how not to go out too fast & die in a race. I think we have all had that feeling from the min the gun goes that today is just not my day, and all you can do is try to hang on as best as possible.
    I like watching or listening to runners that show all aspects of running not just the highs! It makes it more relatable to see that even the elites don't & won't always get it right...
    As for being a coach, well that's one tough job. Making decisions that ultimately could affect this runners confidence & their love for running. In saying that the rewards must be huge, to see them succeed & train well week in week out must be the ultimate goal!

Anyway that's just my tuppence worth:D

Oh, I agree with everything you write there, E. My frustration is with the "I just couldn't do it" "Why not?" "I don't know"....... "Then at ten to three I just felt right". That side of things would drive me nuts. Having a good or a bad day, well that happens to all of us. As does picking up niggles and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Oh, I agree with everything you write there, E. My frustration is with the "I just couldn't do it" "Why not?" "I don't know"....... "Then at ten to three I just felt right". That side of things would drive me nuts. Having a good or a bad day, well that happens to all of us. As does picking up niggles and so on.

Haha I do agree with your frustrations but as a woman we can be quite indecisive at times:P Imagine how poor S feels with me:eek:
    Yep good & bad days are all part of the process & the niggles of course, luckily we love running so much:D

Depends on a persons expectations of what it is to be a coach. Managing a person can be exactly what is required in certain situations depending on athlete's personality.

Training prescription while it may seem like the be all and end all is really only the tip of the iceberg. What a coach does depends on the athlete, some need motivation, some need reassurance, some need tough love, some need a friend, someone need someone to think for them and others simply need to be told exactly what to do

Coaching can be a light touch or heavy handed at the top level. I think this is something which tends to be ignored by athletes and coaches alike, especially nowadays when mental health and stress (or lack of coping skills to put it better) are such a huge part of life.

Talking to a coach yesterday who actually put it brilliantly, "you will never know more than you did when you started coaching"

Individualized training tends to be overhyped but individualized coaching is something which is sorely lacking

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I was thinking the same but thinking about it, there are not many athletes at elite level with little experience so she has not gone through what most of us here have experienced, bad training runs, bad races, slumps, drop in form for no known reason. At the elite level the pressure must be huge and not knowing how ur body works just adds to the uncertainty. Her coach is pretty calm and seems to have a good grasp on the mental side of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭py

Video about Mira Rai, a trail runner from Nepal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

Reminded me of some of the teens I've coached over the years, she was late getting into the competitive scene, perhaps missed those early years in a club and getting used to competition and the pressure you can put on yourself.

She stayed in the same hotel as me back in March in Portugal, was great to watch her train, seemed to always be smiling and enjoying herself.

Advertisement