Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pearl jam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Roanmore wrote: »
    Cobain might have called it Cock Rock but nobody else did at the time. Sure it had hard rock elements but so too did Soundgarden and Alice in Chains and there was a little bit of jealousy on his part in that comment.
    I remember going to Slane in '93, Ten & Pearl Jam were huge at that stage.

I never said they weren't huge, that's the point. They were, regardless of what criticism they had.

Cobain wasn't the only one to level the charge of being inauthentic or cock rock. I can recall many journalists and publications at the time who did (NME, Melody Maker, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MosherRock426

Can anyone recommend some YouTube channels that have archive videos of pearl jam concerts worth watching? Would definitely help curb the Quarantine boredom..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

All i do is you tube pearl jam live and add a year to it.it comes up straight away.
    For example

https://youtu.be/-PL29Q0kp1A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Can anyone recommend some YouTube channels that have archive videos of pearl jam concerts worth watching? Would definitely help curb the Quarantine boredom..

I've shared this before but here it is again.

Here's all their bootlegs if you just want to listen

http://www.pearljambootlegs.org/modules/jinzora2/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Its their best album by a country mile .

Haha I couldn't disagree more. I love Ten but I'd return to No Code, Vs, Vitalogy, Binaural and probably even Riot Act before I'd listen to Ten these days.

Could be down to the amount of time I've spent listening to it over the years and its a great great album but I haven't listened to it in full for yonks.

Really enjoying the new record. Hard to say where it'll slot into my favourite PJ records but at the moment, I'd probably list them in this order of records I'd currently sit down and listen to from start to finish:

1) Vs
    2) No Code
    3) Binaural
    4) Vitalogy
    5) Riot Act
    6) Ten
    7) Yield
    8) Gigaton
    9) Pearl Jam
    10) Backspacer
    11) Lightning Bolt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

This is next to impossible for me but here goes:

Ten
    Yield
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    Gigaton
    Avocado
    Lightening Bolt
    Backspacer
    Binaural
    Riot Act

Top 4 never really change tbh, for me Ten is the perfect album(although over produced). Really loving Gigaton, I’m pleasantly surprised that they had an album like this in them at this stage of their career. Roll on the Euro Tour next year cos some of the new songs will be belters live

This is next to impossible for me but here goes:

Ten
    Yield
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    Gigaton
    Avocado
    Lightening Bolt
    Backspacer
    Binaural
    Riot Act

Top 4 never really change tbh, for me Ten is the perfect album(although over produced). Really loving Gigaton, I’m pleasantly surprised that they had an album like this in them at this stage of their career. Roll on the Euro Tour next year cos some of the new songs will be belters live

Where is No Code! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Where is No Code! ;)

Whiskey got the better of me,No Code slots in between Vitalogy and Gigaton

It generally tends to be Ten / Vs / Vitalogy / No Code / Yield / then everything else.

The run from 1991 - 1998 was pretty impressive all told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭ Lea Rapping Tundra

It generally tends to be Ten / Vs / Vitalogy / No Code / Yield / then everythi

The run from 1991 - 1998 was pretty impressive all told.

Agree...Gigaton, Avocado and Backspacer are good too.
    Backspacer , in particular, is a really tight, melodic 36 minute gem full of power pop nuggets. Die hard PJ fans generally don’t like it because it’s too goddamn melodic for ‘em!!...these are usually the guys who tell you that ‘Cropduster’ is their favourite song😛
    Ah, I jest. It’s all opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Backspacer , in particular, is a really tight, melodic 36 minute gem full of power pop nuggets. Die hard PJ fans generally don’t like it because it’s too goddamn melodic for ‘em!!...these are usually the guys who tell you that ‘Cropduster’ is their favourite song��

I haven't listened to Backspacer for years. I know I liked it when released but it fell of my radar within a year. All I recall from it was Got Some and Just Breathe. Going to throw it on today in the background.

Backspacer , in particular, is a really tight, melodic 36 minute gem full of power pop nuggets. Die hard PJ fans generally don’t like it because it’s too goddamn melodic for ‘em!!...these are usually the guys who tell you that ‘Cropduster’ is their favourite song��

Love Cropduster, as it happens! ;) In fact, I love Riot Act full stop. For me, a really interesting and off-beat record, same with Binaural.

I haven't listened to Backspacer for years. I know I liked it when released but it fell of my radar within a year. All I recall from it was Got Some and Just Breathe. Going to throw it on today in the background.

Unthought Known and Amongst the Waves are great tracks. Proper Pearl Jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I got the Gigaton CD last week, love having the physical copy (would absolutely love vinyl). Strange thing is on my car system there is no info on the track listing, just have track 1, track 2, etc. Bit of a pain, anybody else have an issue like that.
    Even the free CDs you get from music magazines will have full details of the tracks on them.

Unthought Known and Amongst the Waves are great tracks. Proper Pearl Jam.

Funnily enough, I never liked Unthought Known at any stage. Doesn't do a single thing for me. Amongst The Waves and Force of Nature are classics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Roanmore wrote: »
    I got the Gigaton CD last week, love having the physical copy (would absolutely love vinyl). Strange thing is on my car system there is no info on the track listing, just have track 1, track 2, etc. Bit of a pain, anybody else have an issue like that.
    Even the free CDs you get from music magazines will have full details of the tracks on them.

Funny you should say that. I got the CD and noticed that there was no track names too, but it was the first and only CD I've played in my new car so just thought the CD player didn't have that ability!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Sorry if it’s already been posted but If you didn’t see Eddie calling Glen Hansard on his birthday on his Instagram gig you’re missing out here it is it’s brilliant. The piece Ed wrote and reads out for his birthday especially
    https://www.facebook.com/705213031/posts/10159651101218032/?d=n

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Refunds being given for the Hyde Pk show …….

Gig cancelled, whilst all the others are postponed with dates to be confirmed !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    Refunds being given for the Hyde Pk show …….

Gig cancelled, whilst all the others are postponed with dates to be confirmed !

Got the email too. If they reschedule it for next year, those with 2020 tickets will get priority option for booking. So that's good. Just depends if Pearl Jam will be available next year of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,709 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got the email too. If they reschedule it for next year, those with 2020 tickets will get priority option for booking. So that's good. Just depends if Pearl Jam will be available next year of course.

Another Eddie solo tour 2021 with a 3arena date supported by Hansard

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Another Eddie solo tour 2021 with a 3arena date supported by Hansard

Well they are doing a record together

• Registered Users Posts: 37,709 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Runaways wrote: »
    Well they are doing a record together

Didnt knw that interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Something had been bothering me for a while and now I know what it is - Vedders voice is ageing and might be starting to deteriorate. The new album really emphasises the shift in tone compared to previous albums. Its not as smooth as it once was.
    To make sure , I opened two tabs , one with Retrograde , the other with Off He Goes. The difference is alarming. His voice sounds beautiful on Off He Goes , but on Retrograde he has the scratchy singing voice of a hobo. I can't really take to it anymore tbh. However it could be the production on the new ablum. He might still sound good on stage. Maybe ill find out next time the 108 Eruo ukulele show comes over.

Burty330 wrote: »
    Something had been bothering me for a while and now I know what it is - Vedders voice is ageing and might be starting to deteriorate. The new album really emphasises the shift in tone compared to previous albums. Its not as smooth as it once was.
    To make sure , I opened two tabs , one with Retrograde , the other with Off He Goes. The difference is alarming. His voice sounds beautiful on Off He Goes , but on Retrograde he has the scratchy singing voice of a hobo. I can't really take to it anymore tbh. However it could be the production on the new ablum. He might still sound good on stage. Maybe ill find out next time the 108 Eruo ukulele show comes over.

3/10 Burty, I've seen much better attempts from you. C'mon man, your game is slipping.

"BURTY! BURTY! BURTY! You can do it!"

Yeah I’m sorry but that’s pure bollocks he sounds probably better than he has in years

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Its like Celine Dion trying to sound like Bob Dylan. Thats just my honest opinion on this King Of Leon inspired era of Pearl Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

3/10 Burty, I've seen much better attempts from you. C'mon man, your game is slipping.

"BURTY! BURTY! BURTY! You can do it!"

The problem with Burty's latest material is he's leaning too heavily into his greatest hits, he needs to diversify the material somewhat. We all want to hear fan favourites like "Eddie's a pr!ck" and "PJ are awful" but some interesting new hot takes would keep things fresh

grimm2005 wrote: »
    The problem with Burty's latest material is he's leaning too heavily into his greatest hits, he needs to diversify the material somewhat. We all want to hear fan favourites like "Eddie's a pr!ck" and "PJ are awful" but some interesting new hot takes would keep things fresh

Yeah I'm beginning to worry that Burty's best creative days are behind him. Have to hand it to him for pleasing the casuals and the festival crowds with his greatest hits, but the hardcore among us deserve better IMO.

Its like Celine Dion trying to sound like Bob Dylan. Thats just my honest opinion on this King Of Leon inspired era of Pearl Jam

Sounds like you need some of Mark 'The Power' Gormley in your life.

Don't mention it, you're welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

i did say that before...… :D

Just because someone says something , doesn't mean its not true … :rolleyes:

I wouldn't agree about the voice …..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement