Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R TT....Round 2 - 1 mile TT, Saturday May 30th *** please read post #1 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Was going to suggest the 10x400. I've used it myself before but still fell short of my target race pace. With it not being a race it might be even trickier to predict. My experience anyway was the 10 x 400s but maybe add around a second per 400 on the day. So being able to do 75s for a 5 minute flat mile would become 76s and a 5:04 mile. Just my experience.

The 600 down to 200 sounds tougher to me due to the front loading. I'm going to try that one out anyway. Cheers.

Hmmmmmnnnnn. I did a 16x400 session off 45secs and averaged 75secs last August just before the Frank Duffy and also before Raheny last year and averaged 73secs. Don't really feel like doing a session like that at the moment though! I think I'll stick to my plan of just rocking up to wherever I end up deciding to actually do it that sat morning and running as fast a mile as possible. No sessions beforehand. Adds to the suspense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Was going to suggest the 10x400. I've used it myself before but still fell short of my target race pace. With it not being a race it might be even trickier to predict. My experience anyway was the 10 x 400s but maybe add around a second per 400 on the day. So being able to do 75s for a 5 minute flat mile would become 76s and a 5:04 mile. Just my experience.

The 600 down to 200 sounds tougher to me due to the front loading. I'm going to try that one out anyway. Cheers.

Lads, one thing I don't understand about those sessions. The 6,5,4,3,2 = 2,000mts whereas the 10x4...... That's a massive difference, no??

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

IvoryTower wrote: »
    The 10 x 400 session, once a week

Straight off the bat? No build up to it or slightly longer recoveries to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Itziger wrote: »
    Lads, one thing I don't understand about those sessions. The 6,5,4,3,2 = 2,000mts whereas the 10x4...... That's a massive difference, no??

Personally I find 400 okay. Going beyond is when the pain starts for me. When I've done the 10x400s you get into a rhythm as the reps are the same.

So starting with 600 and then 500 looks tough to me. Plus you'll have covered 1500m after 3 reps as opposed to 1200m.

I'll tell you what. As I've never tried the 600 one I might try both over the next two weeks and report back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Itziger wrote: »

With the first one lactate tolerance and buffering is sent over the edge early on so simulates a race more.

With the second one despite being double the volume there is almost a seesaw motion with regards lactate bringing you back from the brink in the early reps before spilling over so takes more effort to elicit similar response.

Personally I wouldn't be mad on predictor workouts for this one ;

1) Time not on your side with regards recovery from such an effort prior to TT.

2) Lack of race specific work means that you are not really dialing in race legs it is just gonna shock the body as much as the race will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I should add, I wouldn't be doing either of those two sessions before this upcoming time trial. They are sessions I have done after a specific build up to a peak race. I am doing a mile time trial in two weeks and I will do zero specific training for it as it is just a time trial and I feel I can run a decent mile off my base training. I would just train as normal and add some good quality 20-30 second strides at goal mile pace twice a week for the next three weeks.

Regarding the question about the volume of the session, yes the first one is only 2k in volume but I find it to be very race specific because, as KSU said by starting with the longer reps you build a lot of lactate quickly, simulating an actual race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

MrSkinny wrote: »
    Straight off the bat? No build up to it or slightly longer recoveries to start with?

Some people start with 90s recovery and you start with whatever you're capable of time wise so it will take a session to figure that out.

But it's so close i wouldn't overthink it. What Is it, 3 weeks? Do something fast to stretch the legs, be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

This is the sort of chat you want itt.

Great stuff guys. Lots to think about.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I am doing a mile time trial in two weeks and I will do zero specific training for it as it is just a time trial and I feel I can run a decent mile off my base training. I would just train as normal and add some good quality 20-30 second strides at goal mile pace twice a week for the next three weeks.

Glad to see I am not the only one haha.

If anyone did want a light session for turnover one I have used in the past (more so as a taper session but could work well;

3 sets of 20,30,40 sec stride outs off 1 min recovery with 3-4 min jog between sets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

KSU wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't be mad on predictor workouts for this one ;

1) Time not on your side with regards recovery from such an effort prior to TT.

2) Lack of race specific work means that you are not really dialing in race legs it is just gonna shock the body as much as the race will

Obviously, I'm more invested in the mile than some of the longer distance runners. My regret was not getting out for another race a couple of weeks of running my 5:02.

How long of a recovery would you typically need? Do people benefit from running a series of races as opposed to one offs?

• Advertisement

Obviously, I'm more invested in the mile than some of the longer distance runners. My regret was not getting out for another race a couple of weeks of running my 5:02.

How long of a recovery would you typically need? Do people benefit from running a series of races as opposed to one offs?

Generally people do benefit from series of races (I know when I trained as a miler it usually took 2-3 races to get into the groove of things during the season and IIRC my last 1500 a few years back was the 3rd race in 14 days)

Actually recently saw argument raised that we under race in the modern era

https://twitter.com/fast8trackclub/status/1254290101829373953?s=20

In terms of recovery it would depend. If you are in heavy training or indeed not specifically training for that type of event it probably will require most recovery however many track athletes periodize there training so that base is done in the winte, the hard work is done then prior to track season started and then in season it is more about keeping things light and tipping along with races being the main stimulus, as such you are effectively recovering outside of races for the most part

This might be work a read. It is one of the few training books which lays out a full years training plan (specifically for those training for the mile)

https://img.runningwarehouse.com/pdf/middle_distance_guide.pdf

Might be worth noting hes only 20 when he done that, I might die if I race 3 days in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I wouldn't know too much about shorter distances but I am sure that more racing after a good base and some weeks (8? 10?) sharpening of training would be the way to go. My own best 10k results came on the second weekend of races each time. I'd say a well trained miler could be doing at the very least a race per week. The body and the mind probably need two or three attempts to get pace and effort right.

Dubh I would need a few races dotted throughout the summer with very little rest taken before or after, just a drop in mileage for the week and one less session. All building towards peaking in august, in for the long haul, it always pays off. When you finally taper you dont know yourself.

With AAI rules changing, tracks a acceptable venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I think it's already been established that a track is OK, L (I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong). What is the AI ruling? Would consider a track run myself if they are opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    I think it's already been established that a track is OK, L (I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong). What is the AI ruling? Would consider a track run myself if they are opening.

Not a problem lads...just run to the track markings not the distance on the watch. That applies whether the watch shows longer or shorter....and that the track isn't inside your privacy zone on Strava! :pac:

Murph_D wrote: »

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/coronavirus-covid-19-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What kind of a warm up do milers/1500m runners do before a race?

MY BAD wrote: »
    What kind of a warm up do milers/1500m runners do before a race?

1-2 miles, dynamics, strides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

IvoryTower wrote: »
    1-2 miles, dynamics, strides

So the usual :D Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

MY BAD wrote: »
    So the usual :D Thanks

I like to do more than the usual - get the HR properly up. Get a good layer of perspiration going. Let the body know what’s in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

A good layer of toxic perspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:
    A good layer of toxic perspiration.

Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yum

Ewwwwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ewwwwwww
    I heard he puts in his tea instead of milk :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

eyrie wrote: »
    I heard he puts in his tea instead of milk :eek:

I heard it's his kryptonite :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Almost fell asleep at the wheel and missed this one :rolleyes:
    If someone can add me in the M54 cat, and stick down 5:40 for the prediction .........................and just to clarify, is that a yes on using the track as long as we do the mile distance as marked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Almost fell asleep at the wheel and missed this one :rolleyes:
    If someone can add me in the M50 cat, and stick down 5:40 for the prediction .........................and just to clarify, is that a yes on using the track as long as we do the mile distance as marked out?

It is a yes...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I heard it's his kryptonite

Can't beat a nice pint bottle of toxic sweat on a sunny day.

Advertisement