Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to cycling

Options
  • 12-05-2020 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As a way to keep fit during lockdown I invested in my first road bike, I went for the cheapest I could find (as i couldnt justify spending thousands, if i didnt like it).

So far i am enjoying it alot, not just the cycling but I suppose exploring my locality more than i ever have before. However, on my 3rd cycle i got a puncture. I think my tyre might have been under inflated before I went out.

My question is where would i get a puncture repair kit - today. I want to get back out today and online stores wont have it delivered to me in any timely fashion.
    Having not repaired a bike in years (since i was a teenager, nearly 20 years ago now) is there any difference between repairing a mountian bike and a road bike? Is there anything else i need to fix it?

As an aside, does anyone else have issues using strava? The map is NEVER accurate. Did a short 10kms the other day and the map said i went over 30kms north. Having only done a few runs on it, i am yet to get an accurate map. I know it is probably my phone but would be great to be able to fix it.
    Thanks for all your help in advance.
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭cletus

Hi guys,

As a way to keep fit during lockdown I invested in my first road bike, I went for the cheapest I could find (as i couldnt justify spending thousands, if i didnt like it).

So far i am enjoying it alot, not just the cycling but I suppose exploring my locality more than i ever have before. However, on my 3rd cycle i got a puncture. I think my tyre might have been under inflated before I went out.

My question is where would i get a puncture repair kit - today. I want to get back out today and online stores wont have it delivered to me in any timely fashion.
    Having not repaired a bike in years (since i was a teenager, nearly 20 years ago now) is there any difference between repairing a mountian bike and a road bike? Is there anything else i need to fix it?

As an aside, does anyone else have issues using strava? The map is NEVER accurate. Did a short 10kms the other day and the map said i went over 30kms north. Having only done a few runs on it, i am yet to get an accurate map. I know it is probably my phone but would be great to be able to fix it.
    Thanks for all your help in advance.
    James

Most local bike shops seem to be operating on a phone call basis, try ringing around me a few and see.

Where abouts are you based? If you were close enough to someone they might give you a loan of a kit

Strava have been having issues for a few weeks now with their mapping. I think they might even have a notice on the website. Normally they are quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

cletus wrote: »
    Most local bike shops seem to be operating on a phone call basis, try ringing around me a few and see.

Where abouts are you based? If you were close enough to someone they might give you a loan of a kit

Strava have been having issues for a few weeks now with their mapping. I think they might even have a notice on the website. Normally they are quite good

I am in Dunboyne.

There is no local bike shops, perhaps in Blanch there is but are they open yet? I would imagine so on the 18th. There is a local guy who repairs bikes, however I am not a massive fan of his and would rather give my business elsewhere. Ill have a look at bike shops in Blanch and see if i can pick one up today.

Good to know about Strava, all of my mates who cycle rave about it, but I find it hit and miss at the moment. It said on my first cycle (using a 20 year old mountain bike) that i hit speeds of 80km per hour! 1st cycle on the road bike it said top speed 68km, again i dont think thats even possible. I am 17 stone, no major hills to go down......

Is there any kit you reccomend I need? I have ordered a few bits of course. Padded shorts, phone mount, bike pump - next on the list is a few puncture kits, and I might then look at a mount for the car and the shed wall.

Thanks
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

You might also get new pairs of tyres when you're at it as they could be worn.

Try turning on high accuracy gps on your phone for strava

Tony04 wrote: »
    You might also get new pairs of tyres when you're at it as they could be worn.

Try turning on high accuracy gps on your phone for strava

Sorry, I got the cheapest new bike i could, tyres should be grand for now i would think. but deffo something to have in the shed ready!

I did turn on high accuracy yesterday before my spin, but even still it is not following the roads - i have a Xiaomi though so unsure of if its my phone, my signal "out the country" or strava.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042757051

some info from strava.

It has been doing weird things for people who use it exclusively. It drew Jackson Pollock paintings for at least two of my friends recently

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, i have deleted and re downloaded the app, hopefully that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hackersphorr

Have you considered a repair in Kilcock? Two Wheels bike shop over there

Buy spare tubes, you don't want to be patching a puncture on the side of the road. Leave that for when you get home. When you puncture on the road just pop in a spare tube and away you go but carefully checking the tire for any glass or thorns etc first.

Track pump with pressure gauge is another thing. The correct pressure range should be on the walls of the tires.

Have you considered a repair in Kilcock? Two Wheels bike shop over there

Ah no, I mean its just a puncture- should be a relatively handy fix. Should do it myself to get rid of the rust and be able to do it on the side of the road if i need to!

Besides, without a bike rack for the car i dont want to damage the bike or the car. The better half had to pick me up yesterday when it punctured, and went over a bump a little too hard and scratched the paint on the frame of the bike (bike is like 3 days old) i was livid:D:D

But good to know there is one over there! not too far at all!

Buy spare tubes, you don't want to be patching a puncture on the side of the road. Leave that for when you get home. When you puncture on the road just pop in a spare tube and away you go but carefully checking the tire for any glass or thorns etc first.

Track pump with pressure gauge is another thing. The correct pressure range should be on the walls of the tires.

great shout. Thank you. will the tubes that i need also be printed on the rim of the tyre? or are all tyre tubes for road bikes the same?

• Advertisement

You should be able to find it on the sidewall of the tyre if not post a pic on here. Stupid question but do you have a pump?

You should be able to find it on the sidewall of the tyre if not post a pic on here. Stupid question but do you have a pump?

Not a stupid question at all! I dont! I ordered it the same day as the bike, and the bike got here first. The bike was from Decathlon and the pump from Amazon, it should be delivered this week.

One of the lads has a pump though so he dropped it over a few days ago when i set the bike up.

How long before your backside gets "used" to being on a bike. The padded shorts have certainly helped but there is a good dull pain still lingering - i imagine this goes away evenutally, kind of like breaking in a pair of new shoes?

Yeh I reckon that's how you punctured- your tyres mighnt of been pumped up alot and you went over a pothole etc, so you got a pinch puncture rather than going over a thorn/glass.

And it's most likely your body isnt used to cycling so it's just muscle fatigue. You'll get used to it just ride regularly and some stretching might also help

Yeh I reckon that's how you punctured- your tyres mighnt of been pumped up alot and you went over a pothole etc, so you got a pinch puncture rather than going over a thorn/glass.

And it's most likely your body isnt used to cycling so it's just muscle fatigue. You'll get used to it just ride regularly and some stretching might also help

when i went out yesterday i thought it might be a bit low tbh. It was much tougher to cycle, and acceleration wasnt as easy as the day before (when it was initially pumped).

What happens if it was low pressure? does the air seep out or is it more prone to piercing or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the tyre is too low, as mentioned above, if you hit a pothole or something else, it's very possible for the tyre to bottom out and the rims to puncture the tube.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'm relatively new to cycling too. I did a bike maintenance course, which isn't likely to be running these days, but worth doing some time in the future.

A hand pump (if that's what you used) will never get the tire to the correct pressure. If you puncture out and about you can get it pumped enough to get home, but that's about it. A track pump is definitely the way to go for correct pumping.

Also, you may not know (I didn't when I started) that tires come with either Schrader or Presta valves, so if you are buying spare tires (recommended), just make sure you get the one with the correct valve type on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm nearly sure I've seen puncture repair kits in Tesco lately.

Oh, I got a cushioned seat in Lidl too. Keep an eye out. They're definitely worth it, used in conjunction with the cushioned shorts. Lidl have bike supplies every now and then. I got panniers there too that were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

The Strava issues are more likely GPS issues with your phone especially if you've followed their steps to reinstall and clear the cache after the Google Maps issue.

A dedicated GPS device will almost always be better than a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

OP - I'm not too far from Dunboyne, I can give you a tube if that helps? I can change the tube for you also if you don't know how to....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How long before your backside gets "used" to being on a bike. The padded shorts have certainly helped but there is a good dull pain still lingering - i imagine this goes away evenutally, kind of like breaking in a pair of new shoes?
    Quicker than you think but if the bike wasn't fitted to you, that might stop it improving. Make sure the saddle is level, that when at the bottom of a pedal stroke with your foot horizontal to the ground that there is a slight bend in your knee (ie you shouldn't be pointing your foot down or locking out your knee), and that your saddle is far enough forward that you can comfortably rest on the bars. There are a load of videos on yourtube to give better and more detailed explanations but after wahile on Audaxes, it was a fellow rider pointing out that I needed to drop my saddle by a few nches that fixed 99% of my aches and pains.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure I've seen puncture repair kits in Tesco lately.
    Yep, I ve seen them in some as well.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Oh, I got a cushioned seat in Lidl too. Keep an eye out. They're definitely worth it, used in conjunction with the cushioned shorts. Lidl have bike supplies every now and then. I got panniers there too that were good.
    I would disagree. It doesn't move with you and can cause friction issues. Fine for short cycles but anything past a few km and it is a bad idea.

bbari wrote: »
    OP - I'm not too far from Dunboyne, I can give you a tube if that helps? I can change the tube for you also if you don't know how to....

You are very kind! I have the puncture repair kit now. Just awaiting delivery of the pump.
    I have changed tyres as a teenager. Just have to figure out how to do it again (especially on the back tyre) without messing with the gears and brakes.

Thank you very much for your very kind offer but I think I should be OK. Besides, it's a bit of time in the shed on my own! Part of the reason I got a bike in the first place!

You are very kind! I have the puncture repair kit now. Just awaiting delivery of the pump.
    I have changed tyres as a teenager. Just have to figure out how to do it again (especially on the back tyre) without messing with the gears and brakes.

Thank you very much for your very kind offer but I think I should be OK. Besides, it's a bit of time in the shed on my own! Part of the reason I got a bike in the first place!

Park Tools on youtube have lots of good videos for this

On the issue of bum soreness. Its a thing when you start cycling, and I think a lot of people who are cycling a long time forget how uncomfortable the aftermath of the first few cycles can be. If you get out on the bike a couple of times a week, you'll find the soreness stops happening after a week or two

CramCycle wrote: »
    I would disagree. It doesn't move with you and can cause friction issues. Fine for short cycles but anything past a few km and it is a bad idea.

Interesting. At maximum I was doing 15km each way to work and I definitely found the seat cushion a help. I don't know if that counts as a "a few km". I certainly wasn't doing 100km+ events or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

watch global cycling network on youtube for tips and tricks, very enjoyable and informative watch, welcome to the cycling world :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Always worth to get some practice at changing tyre and tube at home on the bike you are using as a puncture is almost certain at some point so carry spare tube for roadside jobs .Some wheels or tyres can take a bit more to change than others .

Always worth to get some practice at changing tyre and tube at home on the bike you are using as a puncture is almost certain at some point so carry spare tube for roadside jobs .Some wheels or tyres can take a bit more to change than others .

do you then recommend those air canisters for on the road?

jaysus i can see how it all adds up! thankfully i got a cheap bike, but all the accessories add up. i was really enjoying being out on the road though so dont mind too much.

next on the list, spare tubes, canisters, bike bag (to hold the above) potentially another bottle cage for the longer rides, bike stand for the shed wall (get it out of the way when not in use) and potentially a car bike holder.

Also decided to get a fitness watch, as i have a xiaomi phone i cant get a fitbit so will look at a xiaomi one. Might help with strava too - although my deleting it and re downloading it may just have done the job, just need to get back in the saddle to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Cannisters are handy to get full pressure up i think not absolutely a necessity but others may disagree a decent hand pump will be ok to get you home ok .Track pump at home is important also you will need to know how to use the cannisters as they are one use and cost a few euro each time .Having good quality tyres is a big thing if you keep pressure up and inspect them on a regular bases you shoud not get too many punctures but practice is crucial in any event because everything looks easy on you tube and a cold day on the side of the road is a real turn off.Will say one thing other cyclists are very good at offering help to people stuck maby no harm stick to popular routes till you have full confidence . i live near Dunboyne and main roads out of it always have a few out and about so welcome to cycling but its not too cheap when you get the bug .

• Advertisement

Cannisters are handy to get full pressure up i think not absolutely a necessity but others may disagree a decent hand pump will be ok to get you home ok .Track pump at home is important also you will need to know how to use the cannisters as they are one use and cost a few euro each time .Having good quality tyres is a big thing if you keep pressure up and inspect them on a regular bases you shoud not get too many punctures but practice is crucial in any event because everything looks easy on you tube and a cold day on the side of the road is a real turn off.Will say one thing other cyclists are very good at offering help to people stuck maby no harm stick to popular routes till you have full confidence . i live near Dunboyne and main roads out of it always have a few out and about so welcome to cycling but its not too cheap when you get the bug .

Oh i get ya!

I have stuck to the dunboyne bypass so far. a loop of it from mine is about 10 ks I will also start looking at more country cycles as the roads around here are actually pretty good good. I try to keep from main roads at the moment.

Advertisement