Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to cycling

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Balmed Out wrote: »
    What do you mean by nasty? I have a late 1990's bike that retailed at 350 pounds. I have no interest really in cycling with others or racing but just do 20km or a little more most days. I presume a better bike would be faster and easier going up hills but im doing it for fitness rather than to go somewhere in particular so have been figuring theres no point spending money on a better bike.

Any advice on saddle position and being set closer or further from the front and what affect it has?

Allowing for inflation, that £350 would likely be around €600 today. What bike do you have, out of curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

cletus wrote: »
    Allowing for inflation, that £350 would likely be around €600 today. What bike do you have, out of curiosity

https://www.adverts.ie/bikes/mercurio-ra5-racer-bike/1624670

The above looks very like it. It says mercurio ra5 m12-58 on it. I base its age from a conversation with a guy in a bike shop, he was confident it was 350 and thought late 90s punt but could have been few years later and euros.

My only issues are after 2 months i still find saddle uncomfortable but finally got padded shorts and a new saddle delivered today so hopefully that'll improve and that while I can climb fairly steep long hills I find any extreme gradient a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Chamois cream and a good bib with gel padding
    Worth every cent

Deflate road bike tyres after a ride

Clean grease on gearing and chain every 10 cycles or month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Deflate road bike tyres after a ride

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Thanks for all the help guys. Slowly increasing the distance I am doing. Got into a very comfortable groove a few days ago and felt like I could have went on and on. But the sun was dropping so had to turn around.

I have noticed a loud clicking noise coming from the gears (not all the time) I usually have earphones on so don't notice it but i do when the music changes song. It's like the chain is trying to find a gear that just isn't there if that makes sense? The bike only has 7 gears so perhaps this is "normal" if anyone could advise it would be greatly appreciated. Does it need to go to a shop? I'm sure it's just me doing something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks for all the help guys. Slowly increasing the distance I am doing. Got into a very comfortable groove a few days ago and felt like I could have went on and on. But the sun was dropping so had to turn around.

I have noticed a loud clicking noise coming from the gears (not all the time) I usually have earphones on so don't notice it but i do when the music changes song. It's like the chain is trying to find a gear that just isn't there if that makes sense? The bike only has 7 gears so perhaps this is "normal" if anyone could advise it would be greatly appreciated. Does it need to go to a shop? I'm sure it's just me doing something wrong.

The shifting may need to be indexed. Next time your out cycling, leave the headphones out and run through all the gears. See can you tell when and where the clicking is coming from. If it's at the rear derailleur, it's relatively easy to index the gears yourself, usually with nothing more than a screwdriver and an Allan key

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Time has come to drop more money haha.

Going to head down the country once this all calms down a bit. I will want to take the bike too. Could you please recommend a rack to fit an Insignia? I had a bit of a google and I cant see much to fit it maybe I am googling the wrong terminology?

Im also going to drop into Decathlon (once the queues die down) and pick up a singlet. I find when on the saddle my tshirt rides up my back revealing a lovely sight to those behind me. Im going to get one that goes over the shoulder (like a wrestling singlet). In terms of these though, do i wear my padded shorts with it? Or do I just buy one with pads in them? If so, whats the difference - there are loads of options online ranging from like 15 euro upwards!

The bike has really helped me over a plateau in the weighloss journey, and pretty sure the bug has bitten and hard! Will be looking for more gears soon enough. 7 is just too little but still very happy with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Hi I'm also looking for q bike rack , planning to go up to dongeal with my gf and thinking brining the bikes with us.
    I have seat Leon 03 with a tow bar.
    Don't want spend huge money.
    Maybe around 100 would consider 2nd as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ccarr wrote: »
    Hi I'm also looking for q bike rack , planning to go up to dongeal with my gf and thinking brining the bikes with us.
    I have seat Leon 03 with a tow bar.
    Don't want spend huge money.
    Maybe around 100 would consider 2nd as well

I got one in Aldi for 25euro not to long ago for a tow bar, so you could look around for them on adverts or such.

I also have one of these: https://www.mycycle.ie/Hollywood-F1B-3-Bike-Car-Rack-p/hollywoodf1b.htm which I have fitted to multiple styles of car without much issue, willing to let it go for half price if you want it.

Advertisement